Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
GuitarNewbee

Do DiMarzio D sonic 6 string guitar pickups still exist?

I have been looking all over for them but cant seem to find one, everytime i type it into guitarcenters website it sends me to the one for 7 string guitars but i can never find any for 6 string guitars. If you know a website where they still sell it can you please tell me.
GuitarNewbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Roc8995

Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
GuitarNewbee

oh okay thank you....btw do you guys know if the DiMarzio D sonics and Dimarzio Air nortons are active of passive? because i want to replace the passive stock pickups in my guitar, if they are active will i still be able to put them into my guitar?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Roc8995

They're passive.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
andrerist
schecterguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNewbee
oh okay thank you....btw do you guys know if the DiMarzio D sonics and Dimarzio Air nortons are active of passive? because i want to replace the passive stock pickups in my guitar, if they are active will i still be able to put them into my guitar?

they are both passive. actives require a battery so you'd have to do a bit of modification to the guitar. i believe you'd need new pots as well but not 100% sure on that one
andrerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
thebestjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrerist
they are both passive. actives require a battery so you'd have to do a bit of modification to the guitar. i believe you'd need new pots as well but not 100% sure on that one

That's correct with replacing the pots. You'd also need a stero jack. But all the active pickup talk is irrelevant since the ones in question are passive.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
silhouettica
Plays Red Instruments.

Yes they exist, yes they're passive, and yes they sound awesome- I have a D-sonic in one of my guitars. That being said, I prefer the Crunch Lab, but each to his own. That is also passive.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
silhouettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
KailM

I've got a D-sonic in my Les Paul, bridge position. Great sounding pickup! I get a nice, tight Lamb of God tone out of mine. Supposedly the newer Crunch Lab sounds very similar -- the guy I bought my D-Sonic from said he actually preferred it over the CL. I guess you'd have to try both...
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
GuitarNewbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KailM
I've got a D-sonic in my Les Paul, bridge position. Great sounding pickup! I get a nice, tight Lamb of God tone out of mine. Supposedly the newer Crunch Lab sounds very similar -- the guy I bought my D-Sonic from said he actually preferred it over the CL. I guess you'd have to try both...

nice to hear that...do you think it would make a noticable difference in my guitar, i have a ibanez and its a basswood body with a bolt on neck... and am also looking for a Lamb of God tone
Old 12-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
GuitarNewbee

does anyone know if it would be a good investment for a guitar that has a basswood body and bolt on neck.... im looking for a lamb of god tone aswell as softer stuff like Asking Alexandria, As i lay dying, Bullet for my valentine and stuff like that. thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Quote:
m looking for a lamb of god tone aswell as softer stuff like Asking Alexandria, As i lay dying, Bullet for my valentine and stuff like that. thanks

Yeah, AILD is just easy listening compared to LoG

What specific model Ibanez is it?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
KailM

Quote:
does anyone know if it would be a good investment for a guitar that has a basswood body and bolt on neck.... im looking for a lamb of god tone aswell as softer stuff like Asking Alexandria, As i lay dying, Bullet for my valentine and stuff like that. thanks

I can't speak for how it would sound through basswood; as mine is in a solid chunk of mahogany (Les Paul).

As for those other bands vs. Lamb of God; I don't really consider them to be "softer" but they definitely have a different tone.

The D Sonic will work for all of them; but I think it leans more toward Lamb of God's tight, precise, and not overly fuzzy tone. It's hard to describe. But through my 6505+, when I play Lamb of God riffs with my Les Paul, it sounds pretty damn close to their tone on As the Palaces Burn and Ashes of the Wake. And I'm not even using the same amp they used by a long shot.

With my SD Blackout equipped guitar it does not sound like them at all -- it's got more edge and gain; more appropriate for those other bands you mentioned as well as the death and black metal stuff I play.
Ibanez TS-9/MXR 10-band EQ
Boss HM-2
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:32 AM   #14
steven_ferns84

Most Dimarzios I've tried sound very nice in Basswood body guitars. I'd recommed the Crunch Lab over it as well.
steven_ferns84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: