Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
XplodeHeadz

Is it worth it?

Hey guys! I'm new here and I'm also new at guitar. I'm 13 and only played for a few mOnths. Mostly acoustic, but some electric at school. Mostly electric for the past month. But I'm planning on getting a new electric guitar. Please tell me your honest opinion. Im more into the Gun's N Roses, Slash kind of guitar playing. And I want a Epiphone les Paul. At guitar center for 250 bucks you can get a Epiphone les Paul Special II, an electar 15 watt amp, cable, bag, picks and a strap. Or the same bundle for 199 but with a 10 watt amp instead. Which one is the better deal? Are they worth it? And since I like that fast rock, would a strat be better for me then a les paul. But I don't really like the "feel" Of a strat (I play one at school) thanks for your help and If you recommend something else can you tell me.
XplodeHeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

in all honesty, starter packs look like a good deal, but they sacrifice on everything to get the lower price.

the LP Special II is very subpar, you would likely outgrow the amps in less than a year, they just aren't that great sounding amp.

what i would do if i were you would be to look used ( used.guitarcenter.com ) they still have a 30 warranty and exchange. you can make your money go a lot farther.

what is your maximun budget?

what gear do you have if any?

i know you said you like slash, what other artists/bands do you like?

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
XplodeHeadz

My max budget is around 300. I have no electric gear, technically. My dad does but he wouldn't give it to me, out of the question. I already asked numerous times. I like slash, nirvanna, metallica, led Zeppelin, linkin park, and stuff in that mix
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 AM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodeHeadz
My max budget is around 300. I have no electric gear, technically. My dad does but he wouldn't give it to me, out of the question. I already asked numerous times. I like slash, nirvanna, metallica, led Zeppelin, linkin park, and stuff in that mix

i would go play some guitars and see what you like,

as far as amp if you have a computer you could use a computer interface like http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...1-with-pod-farm it allows you to do a lot of tweaking and is fun for a beginner and you can experience different tones.

i would get the best guitar with the money you have left. but in general i would recommend asking on here first and purchase second. epiphone makes fine guitars, but you may like the way different guitars feel.

if you must have an amp you could go with a peavey vypyr, or Vox VT for digital amps or a Peavey Bandit, one of the better SS amps on a budget.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 12-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
SteveHOC
Used Register

With a budget of $300, Craigslist is a good way to go. A used Epiphone Les Paul Standard will eat up around $220-$250 of your budget. You could probably snag a Fender Mustang or Vox Valvetronix for $80-$100. That's at least what I see price-wise in my area. Those starter packs are a way for parents to get their kids in, and quickly out of playing guitar. The guitars are usually pretty shoddy and the amps tend to sound pretty bad. At 13 it's tough budget wise because cutting lawns can only go on for so long. You'll want an amp with decent effects, since you probably won't have much of a pedal budget.
Squier has also gotten a bad rap, but you could see about a used Squier VM Jag, though it may not get you as close to Slash as Kurt Cobain.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Guitar should be all about feel. Find something that feels great to you.

And buy a Peavey Vypyr. Great little practice amp.
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
With a budget of $300, Craigslist is a good way to go. A used Epiphone Les Paul Standard will eat up around $220-$250 of your budget. You could probably snag a Fender Mustang or Vox Valvetronix for $80-$100. That's at least what I see price-wise in my area. Those starter packs are a way for parents to get their kids in, and quickly out of playing guitar. The guitars are usually pretty shoddy and the amps tend to sound pretty bad. At 13 it's tough budget wise because cutting lawns can only go on for so long. You'll want an amp with decent effects, since you probably won't have much of a pedal budget.
Squier has also gotten a bad rap, but you could see about a used Squier VM Jag, though it may not get you as close to Slash as Kurt Cobain.

i agree in 98% of situations, but not here. if he doesn't own and hasn't played guitar long and even less on an electrics could easily be screwed by not noticing something that could be a major problem.

if you have somebody who knows more about guitars come with you it would be great, but if you are alone it gets more difficult.

i am sure i have done way over 60-80 deals on CL and all were fine, but i know what to look for.

and Xplode i am not calling you dumb or anything, so don't think that, just less experienced.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 12-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ah, I would figure he would bring his dad with, as it sounds like he has playing experience (enough to have his own gear at least). I would never advocate a teen doing any business on CL without an adult present, just for safety purposes.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
jeffo46

Seeing that you're only 13 years old with a $300.00 budget, I would look into the Squier line of guitars. You can get yourself a brand new Affinity Strat for $179.99.which is good for somebody your age. As far as a amp is concerned, I would go with either a Fender Frontman 25R or a Fender Mustang 1. Both are at the $100.00 range and are highly recomended for somebody who is a beginner. The mustang is rated at 20 watts and is a modeling amp with built in effects and comes with software that you can hook up to your computer to download more effects as well. The Frontman 25R is a 25 watt Solid state combo which is rated at 25 watts and is good for home practice and can get pretty loud for a 25 watt combo.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
XplodeHeadz

Thanks you guys. Apparenty a vypyr is a good amP. So I will look into getting one of those. What would that amp sound good on. Would it do a strat or les Paul justice.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Check Craig's List, definitely. Have your parents help you. Don't get the starter pack, you won't be happy, especially with the amps they come with. They will sound tinny and crappy.

On CL I recently found an Epiphone LP Studio for only $210 and it was in near perfect condition. You can also find 15w practice amps for around $30-$50.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: