Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
amp selection

i have been wanting a budda superdrive and a dr. Z maz18 or a valvetech hayseed 15.

what are you thoughts. i have a few questions.

is the budda 18W similar to the 1974X marshall (18 watt marshall). i have a 18 watt clone, but i really couldn't get a very good taste of the budda on videos.

i like the Dr. Z but again based on the the 1974X? i know its brighter. how does it do with humbuckers? i mostly hear them with SC's (brad paisley i think keith urban also uses them), and a lot of the demos on youtube that are single coil and not really a good video with buckers.

and i am in love with the hayseed 15. it seems perfect, kind of voxy with a nice mixable pallet.

what do you all think. i live near tampa, fl and i have never seen one on CL or know anybody who plays one. i think i know somebody with a Dr. Z but i don't think i have heard him play it.

so opinions?

keep in mind a have a 18 watt clone and a JTM45 clone and a good decent amp musicman hd212 160w.
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
 
cdr_salamander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
I am not sure about the Superdrive 18 but I owned the 30 and it had Marshall written all over it. The drive channel was very similar to a JCM800 and the rhythm channel kinda had the AC30/JTM45 vibe with a ton of low-end response. It was rediculously responsive though, and I was able to nail a bunch of "iconic" sounds with it without even using pedals.

I tried pulling two of the 84s out in hopes to get closer to the 18-watt sound because I was curious, but it was (obviously) a different ballpark.

Just know that if you do go with a Budda, you are ready to experience the insane volume that comes with them. It's rediculous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I actually just tested my boss' Dr Z Maz18 last weekend... and the one thing that really jumped out at me... was with the EQ bypassed and the gain dialed higher, that sounded really really close to my Mesa Mark V's channel 2, on the Mark I setting with higher gain.

It sounded close enough to me that I actually did a double take.

If I ever gave up playing death metal, that's one amp I'd like to have!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
i can't remember which budda i tried (it was either the 18 or the 30) but i didn't think it was much like an 18 watt marshall. it was a lot darker-sounding (and obviously had a lot more preamp gain too, and two channels).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
I am not sure about the Superdrive 18 but I owned the 30 and it had Marshall written all over it. The drive channel was very similar to a JCM800 and the rhythm channel kinda had the AC30/JTM45 vibe with a ton of low-end response. It was rediculously responsive though, and I was able to nail a bunch of "iconic" sounds with it without even using pedals.

I tried pulling two of the 84s out in hopes to get closer to the 18-watt sound because I was curious, but it was (obviously) a different ballpark.

Just know that if you do go with a Budda, you are ready to experience the insane volume that comes with them. It's rediculous.


thanks for the info. loud isn't a problem at all. i like how the superdrive sounds in demos, but nobody around here has one. maybe i should be looking at the 30. have you tried them both? or is it basically the same as the 30 with more headroom, or much more different.

the only reason i was inquiring about the 18 watt and more of a british voicing i really don't need, i have it covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_MC
i can't remember which budda i tried (it was either the 18 or the 30) but i didn't think it was much like an 18 watt marshall. it was a lot darker-sounding (and obviously had a lot more preamp gain too, and two channels).


the darker tone is one thing i am looking for, i like the amount of gain on the 18 from the demos, but would love to get my hands on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
I actually just tested my boss' Dr Z Maz18 last weekend... and the one thing that really jumped out at me... was with the EQ bypassed and the gain dialed higher, that sounded really really close to my Mesa Mark V's channel 2, on the Mark I setting with higher gain.

It sounded close enough to me that I actually did a double take.

If I ever gave up playing death metal, that's one amp I'd like to have!


i like the flavor to the dr. z, but again i am not sure i have played one that i remember, i like the demos, did you demo it with single coils or humbuckers?

____________________


any thoughts on the hayseed?
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
The Dr Z is pretty different from a SuperDrive. I've played both. I don't think the Maz Jr or Sr is based on anything Marshall. I'd go SuperDrive all the way but there are a bunch of other amps I'd consider as well so


I mean, I'm not sure what you are after. I just played the new DSL15 Head today and was pretty impressed as I have the Egnaters.

Did you ever get a Mesa Mark? I thought that was your last quest.
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #7
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Dr Z is pretty different from a SuperDrive. I've played both. I don't think the Maz Jr or Sr is based on anything Marshall. I'd go SuperDrive all the way but there are a bunch of other amps I'd consider as well so


I mean, I'm not sure what you are after. I just played the new DSL15 Head today and was pretty impressed as I have the Egnaters.

Did you ever get a Mesa Mark? I thought that was your last quest.


i have had the IV for like 4 months now. i love it. oddly enough the best tone comes out of the second channel pushed hard with my timmy. i have my third channel as LOG does for that type of sound.

yea i know the maz and the superdrive are very different, i am listening to clips throughout the day and think that i won't get a maz. they sound great, but i get great fendery cleans with my '68 bassman and my musicman HD212 130.

what i am looking for is insanely dark, smooth, and creamy. and the only reason for the concern regarding an 18 watt, i don't want it to have another amp that is similar.

have you heard/played a valvetech hayseed? i like it because it is mostly voxy but i like it better than a standard vox. i haven't heard about them enough to be confident in their amps. i can't really remembering anybody having one around here.

also i will only buy used, so if i can't find one, i will get something else.

what amps would you put next to the superdrive?
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
 
AcousticMirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
i can't think of a single el84 amp that can properly be described as dark smooth and creamy...

i guess maybe only compared against each other?
__________________
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
AcousticMirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:15 AM   #9
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
Derek,

I will only comment on things I've played. Dave_MC I think is the only person I know who's played the Hayseed. The Dr Z is def not a dark amp imo and it sounds like you've ruled that out.

Orange AD30
Budda SuperDrive 18 and 20w combos
ENGL Thunder 60
Bugera V22
Cornford Harlequin
Hughes & Kettner Duotone
Mesa ElectraDyne
Maybe a Vox Night Train or a Traynor
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i like the flavor to the dr. z, but again i am not sure i have played one that i remember, i like the demos, did you demo it with single coils or humbuckers?


For the sake of posting a response. I used a Tele with single coils.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 AM   #11
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
For the sake of posting a response. I used a Tele with single coils.


thanks for the response. i think it is about out but i would really like to hear it with buckers or hell even a P90. i have one SC guitar and one SC pickup in the middle of each prestige. they never get used. i like the concept of eliminating the EQ stack, should bring a lot out, but i am not realy sure.

and AM i like EL84's. only have them on the 18 watt and on the dual terror. most of my amps are KT88 which is what i like best for high gain. i have a 6550 and one with EL34's and probably a few others, i cant think right now.

_____________

FUI foruming under the influence, after this i may be a little silly, i drink often, but not with a handfull of other things. i don't support it for others, but this is the first day i have been able to drink since surgery. i am trashed. i don't like posting wasted, but i am bored.
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMirror
i can't think of a single el84 amp that can properly be described as dark smooth and creamy...

i guess maybe only compared against each other?


i dunno. the one i tried was pretty dark. i'd say cornfords are pretty dark too (and i've only tried the el84 cornfords).

that being said, it was a fair while ago that i tried them. Whether i'd agree with my original assessment now, I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Dave_MC I think is the only person I know who's played the Hayseed.


I haven't tried the hayseed, unfortunately.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #13
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
Derek,

I will only comment on things I've played. Dave_MC I think is the only person I know who's played the Hayseed. The Dr Z is def not a dark amp imo and it sounds like you've ruled that out.

Orange AD30
Budda SuperDrive 18 and 20w combos
ENGL Thunder 60
Bugera V22
Cornford Harlequin
Hughes & Kettner Duotone
Mesa ElectraDyne
Maybe a Vox Night Train or a Traynor


i like the AD30, but i already have decent orange tone (i have a dual terror), if i were to buy another orange it would be a mkii rockerverb.

budda is what i am thinking.

haven't really had any experience with the engl thunder

i would never buy a bugera

i will look into cornford. any models you would recommend?

i am not a huge fan of H&K. don't know why, but they have never really caught my ear. i have played two or three tubemiesters and another tube model, that i can't remember what it was

will look into the Electra Dyne, however if its a mesa i really want a blue stripe mkiii and probably hold out until i can find one priced reasonably

the vox night train isn't bad, but not really what i am looking for.

i don't know much about traynors but i will give them a look.


thanks i have a lot of research to do.
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #14
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
I had an electradyne and it was very Meh to my ears. a good blues tone was difficult to dial in as the EQ is quite a pain to control. There always seemed to be either way too much icepicky treble and no bass or an overwhelming boomy bass and midrange.

could not get a decent classic rock tone out of it, there was either not enough gain on the blue channel or too much on the red channel.

it hated single coils too, found them repulsive and it sounded like it spat them out at me. I thought it'd nail hendrix and mayer but NO!

I didn't try an EQ pedal or anything though.
also the fizz/fuzz was awful. Even with the master halfway up to let it breathe, it was still kinda fizzy. and at bedroom volume forget about it.

6L6 powered as well. I don't suppose that helped with my pursuit of a british flavored crunch tone. haha.

but for jazz it was decent. great clean channel which is OBVIOUSLY exactly what you need seeing as you have a music man

Seeing as you're going for a overdriven crunch tone I don't recommend the electradyne from my experience with it.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #15
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
I had an electradyne and it was very Meh to my ears. a good blues tone was difficult to dial in as the EQ is quite a pain to control. There always seemed to be either way too much icepicky treble and no bass or an overwhelming boomy bass and midrange.

could not get a decent classic rock tone out of it, there was either not enough gain on the blue channel or too much on the red channel.

it hated single coils too, found them repulsive and it sounded like it spat them out at me. I thought it'd nail hendrix and mayer but NO!

I didn't try an EQ pedal or anything though.
also the fizz/fuzz was awful. Even with the master halfway up to let it breathe, it was still kinda fizzy. and at bedroom volume forget about it.

6L6 powered as well. I don't suppose that helped with my pursuit of a british flavored crunch tone. haha.

but for jazz it was decent. great clean channel which is OBVIOUSLY exactly what you need seeing as you have a music man

Seeing as you're going for a overdriven crunch tone I don't recommend the electradyne from my experience with it.


thanks for the detailed review

i don't really want an overly clean amp, i want a smooth dark fluid midgain tone.

how long did you have it? mesa's can be a pain to EQ, i didn't get my MKIV the way i wanted it for a few weeks, and i am still tweaking it a little more as time passes.

yea i am good on the cleans
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
two weeks. I wouldn't say it's overly clean. It's no MkIV when it comes to knobs. But they had one of those screwy things on it where you turn the bass up and it ****s with the treble, and vice versa etc.

I played a OR15 at GC that really fit the bill of dark and fluid midgain tone.

it's such a unique sounding amp. the best example I can find of what mine sort of sounded like on the blue channel would be Non-State Actor by Soundgarden, which is a cool tone but not really a dark fluid drive. on the red channel it was more along the lines of a fuzzier sounding Ratt, which again is cool, but only for like ten minutes.

Bogner Shiva would be worth a look.
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?

Last edited by ihartfood : 12-11-2012 at 01:13 AM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
Ippon
Amped
 
Ippon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Left Coast
^ 20th Ann Shiva with Reverb would kill!
__________________
WTLT GG&A 2008 WTLT EG 2006 WTLT GB&C 2009

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #18
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
ihardfood. thanks for the info. i am no longer considering the electradyne.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
^ 20th Ann Shiva with Reverb would kill!


that may be the correct answer. i forgot about the shiva.

i am still really liking the superdrive though.

and i also really want find somebody who has experience with the hayseed.
__________________
5f1 parts coming around the 11/11/14

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #19
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
 
ihartfood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas
Dark, treble down, high gain, reverb, cleans, whats not to love?
ha, ihardfood
__________________
My Rig
Like Telecasters?
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i will look into cornford. any models you would recommend?


i really liked the hurricane. I wasn't so fond of the carrera (which is basically a glorified harlequin, i think, but i haven't tried the harley). I also tried the hellcat and thought it was a bit dear, but it was long enough ago that I tried it that I wouldn't really trust my opinion of it, lol.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.