Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #21
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
 
Zaphod_Beeblebr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Behind a desk.
Anyone who likes Guthrie should check out Brett Garsed without a moment's hesitation. Seriously. You will not regret it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Ittei
Matters of small concern should be treated seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #22
mikey85123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I agree somewhat. I got caught up in practicing only technique and it lead to me forgetting parts of songs and not having a big enough library of songs to play. It's kind of embarrassing to just be good at running scales and then when you go to jam you discover you can't play many songs all the way through.

On the other hand, even though you can learn alot through playing and composing music it does limit you to not have practiced some scales. Not so much the physical aspect, but more the restriction it places on you during composition. I really think it helps to learn some of the more "exotic scales" because you can throw in some passing notes that can really change the color of the song. If you haven't heard them or played them you will stick to what you know and sometimes that can start to become uninteresting. Then again, as pointed out you can just playing 3 chord rock songs and if you play it right and have good stage presence it will be just as impactful to the audience.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #23
B&J
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey85123
I agree somewhat. I got caught up in practicing only technique and it lead to me forgetting parts of songs and not having a big enough library of songs to play. It's kind of embarrassing to just be good at running scales and then when you go to jam you discover you can't play many songs all the way through.

On the other hand, even though you can learn alot through playing and composing music it does limit you to not have practiced some scales. Not so much the physical aspect, but more the restriction it places on you during composition. I really think it helps to learn some of the more "exotic scales" because you can throw in some passing notes that can really change the color of the song. If you haven't heard them or played them you will stick to what you know and sometimes that can start to become uninteresting. Then again, as pointed out you can just playing 3 chord rock songs and if you play it right and have good stage presence it will be just as impactful to the audience.


Well i'm not exactly into 3 chord rock songs. I am a classical player so i am used to playing etudes from like Carcassi and stuff like that. Thats how i learn my technique, its the way classical people tend to learn theire stuff, and then when i turned to electric it was like, lets learn technique exercises and i was like isnt this just something you do while playing?

I see the whole "songs i can learn" as etudes, and from every song i take little things, and thats how i compose my songs. I really never had the feeling i needed to learn technique thus far. I have to add i'm not playing crazy 200000 bpm rock licks but i'm more like a Bb King / John Mayer kinda player. I can understand you need technique when you want to emulate steve vai and those guys. But really, if you just learn every song like you have to play it live tomorrow, you work on your technique... Because thats how it will sound better. While not working on your technique with stupid lessons.

I hope i kinda made myself clear lol
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #24
Spaztikko
*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
So practicing technique one way is stupid, btu practicing technique another isn't?

Wow, this is ******ed.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #25
J2G
UG Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Valhalla
So at the end of the day... just play and have fun.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #26
mikey85123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztikko
So practicing technique one way is stupid, btu practicing technique another isn't?

Wow, this is ******ed.


Well it's not quite my point of view but I understand where he's coming from. It's like if you play basketball and during practice you can either run drills or you can play. Each have there upsides. Maybe just straight technique drills work better for some and then others do better by just playing.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #27
Jyrgen
Used Register
 
Jyrgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Finland
Technique is what you do with your hands to transfer what's in your head to vibrations in the guitar strings. It's not overrated, it's the essence of what guitar playing is.
__________________
#HailHydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #28
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man
 
mdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
I'll check him out.

Good... cuz you've just discovered THE finest of the world's finest.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
Fourfourforever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Yea 100 percent with jrygen here all I do is train technique, I know my theory basically and train my ear a lot, Improv a lot and if I do hear something in a song I like I'll try to transcribe that part however long it takes me could take days weeks but i try, and I love the progress I am moving at now I am adding more writing in to my daily thing to.

Last edited by Fourfourforever : 12-08-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Fourfourforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #30
mikey85123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
Technique is what you do with your hands to transfer what's in your head to vibrations in the guitar strings. It's not overrated, it's the essence of what guitar playing is.


I'm pretty sure the OP would agree with you. It was just poorly articulated. He is just saying that he does not like to do traditional drills such as chromatics when he could just find a song that has chromatic style solos and practice that song.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #31
Spaztikko
*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey85123
Well it's not quite my point of view but I understand where he's coming from. It's like if you play basketball and during practice you can either run drills or you can play. Each have there upsides. Maybe just straight technique drills work better for some and then others do better by just playing.


but you use both in each. This is ******ed/
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:10 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.