Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid
 
ToneMasterDelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Coast
Where to find these pedal connectors?

I tried looking up patch cables and inter connectors but I can't seem to find these any where http://www.guitarfetish.com/Straigh...rds_p_1142.html

If you don't want to click on the link it is basically two jacks stuck together with no cable in between, like this <=II=>

I could use them for a good number of my pedals and would save a little space on my board.

Is there a better name for them ( I would like them sort of cheap)
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
well, that link sells them for 3 bucks a piece.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
&baconstrips
Registered User
 
&baconstrips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/METAL-GUITAR...=item564f77a2e1

They may seem awesome, but they have their flaws. When you press on a pedal, the whole thing flexes slightly and having the rigid connector can cause wear on the jacks of your pedals. Also, the sides of pedals with cast enclosures are not perfectly vertical, they have to be slightly angled in order to be easily removable from the mold. Because of this, there will be additional wear on the jacks of your pedals.
__________________
Kenneth
&baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Zacky_Gates
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Peshtigo, WI
Musiciansfriend, Guitar Center, and Zzounds sell them for like the same price
__________________
GEAR:

Gibson 1980 Les Paul Firebrand
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Ibanez RG-160b
Sx Furrian
Ibanez RG-7321
Jet City JCA20H + Bugera 212V-BK
Zacky_Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid
 
ToneMasterDelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
well, that link sells them for 3 bucks a piece.

they're out unfortunately....
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/METAL-GUITAR...=item564f77a2e1

They may seem awesome, but they have their flaws. When you press on a pedal, the whole thing flexes slightly and having the rigid connector can cause wear on the jacks of your pedals. Also, the sides of pedals with cast enclosures are not perfectly vertical, they have to be slightly angled in order to be easily removable from the mold. Because of this, there will be additional wear on the jacks of your pedals.


yeah, and sometimes you can't fit ac adapters in the gaps they leave, or sometimes the jacks are mounted on the top of the pedal, etc.
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid
 
ToneMasterDelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/METAL-GUITAR...=item564f77a2e1

They may seem awesome, but they have their flaws. When you press on a pedal, the whole thing flexes slightly and having the rigid connector can cause wear on the jacks of your pedals. Also, the sides of pedals with cast enclosures are not perfectly vertical, they have to be slightly angled in order to be easily removable from the mold. Because of this, there will be additional wear on the jacks of your pedals.


That flexing kind of worries me but as for the levels of the jacks I am building a new pedal board and can put down foam pads to make the heights even.
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
&baconstrips
Registered User
 
&baconstrips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneMasterDelux
That flexing kind of worries me but as for the levels of the jacks I am building a new pedal board and can put down foam pads to make the heights even.


It's not the height of the jacks, its the angle. The sides of most pedals are not vertical, they're slightly angled (pedal enclosures are slightly narrower at the top than the bottom). In most situations you're better off with low-profile lava cables or pancake plugs.

Here's more info about why they kinda suck: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1345

edit:
The only situation in which I would consider using them would be if I had 2 pedals with extruded enclosures and soft-touch switches.
__________________
Kenneth

Last edited by &baconstrips : 12-01-2012 at 09:35 PM.
&baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid
 
ToneMasterDelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
It's not the height of the jacks, its the angle. The sides of most pedals are not vertical, they're slightly angled (pedal enclosures are slightly narrower at the top than the bottom). In most situations you're better off with low-profile lava cables or pancake plugs.

Here's more info about why they kinda suck: http://stinkfoot.se/archives/1345

edit:
The only situation in which I would consider using them would be if I had 2 pedals with extruded enclosures and soft-touch switches.

Ah, thanks for the article, I still might just check out the couplers for some of my terrible bypass pedals that I use a looper for.
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid
 
ToneMasterDelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Coast

I'm not as blind as I seem haha, I just couldn't find out what the specific connectors were called, now I know they are couplers. Thanks!
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #12
gumbilicious
beginner
 
gumbilicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: on the road... again
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneMasterDelux
I'm not as blind as I seem haha, I just couldn't find out what the specific connectors were called, now I know they are couplers. Thanks!


yeah, i didn't see they were out of stock on that first link you posted. i am also not as blind as i seem
__________________
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
thebestjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Jersey
+1 to pancake plugs.

I use them exclusively on my board. I had an old 30 foot cable that didn't have access to the jacks that went on me. Picked up the plugs for ~$4 a pair at Radio Shack, now I make custom length cables for it. Being low profile means I can have them millimeters from each other and they have some slack to account for force and to run 9v adapters under. Using these, I fit 4 Boss sized stomp boxes, my wireless receiver, a Morley wah, and my amps 3-button footswitch and have room for more on my board that says it can hold 8 Boss sized ones.
__________________
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #14
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
I gave up on those connectors years ago after too many of them failed on me. Buy some right angled phono plugs and make your own cables to the exact size that you need. Far better solution.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 AM   #15
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart
 
CodeMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Masturbating in your armpit
I DIY'ed that a while back with a couple of Radioshack pancake plugs:
__________________
Programming is an art form that fights back
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals
 
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: deep south
i agree with most everybody. they look good, but aren't very functional. sometimes can't get the power cord in, also some pedals have the jacks at different spots (farther forward and back) and make your pedals more skewed. and if you step on a pedal a certain way it can cause a noise like disconection. i only bought two, but i have given them away. get good cable and some good ends and do a little bit of soldering.

i was recommended a cable by IIRC matt (moltar) from an online company that sells lots of stuff for a really good price. i will be buying 150' of cable and probably 30 ends and have cables for life... all of that was under $200 but i haven't bitten the bullet yet.
__________________

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way

will be picking up soon, Diamond Compressor, Musket Fuzz, Sparkle Drive and Strymon Mobius.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #17
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Even if you can line everything up perfectly, pedals move when you stomp on them. Those connectors don't allow for that movement and consequently break.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Even if you can line everything up perfectly, pedals move when you stomp on them. Those connectors don't allow for that movement and consequently break.


Back in my highschool days I had a few of 'em running all boss pedals. They didn't last past a few months. 2 broke within a week of each other. Patch cables are the way to go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:15 AM   #19
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Yeah, they're shit, man.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid
 
ToneMasterDelux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjoe
+1 to pancake plugs.

I use them exclusively on my board. I had an old 30 foot cable that didn't have access to the jacks that went on me. Picked up the plugs for ~$4 a pair at Radio Shack, now I make custom length cables for it. Being low profile means I can have them millimeters from each other and they have some slack to account for force and to run 9v adapters under. Using these, I fit 4 Boss sized stomp boxes, my wireless receiver, a Morley wah, and my amps 3-button footswitch and have room for more on my board that says it can hold 8 Boss sized ones.

I have to try that, our Radioshack is pretty lacking, where do you get the cable?

Seems like the general consensus is don't touch them, glad I didn't buy any yet!
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.