Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
The_Reginald

Need help using computer as amp

So I just got an electric guitar a few days ago for the first time. I have no idea how to play so I literally no nothing about any of this. I decided to use my computer as an amp. So I have been able to get the guitar to play through the computer. But what I cannot get to work is the metal genre distortion effect or any other effect for that matter. I have guitar rig 5 but it just ever so slightly changes the sound when I choose one of the virtual amps. So what is the problem? Do I need some sort of audio interface thing or what? I looked those up and they all cost a shit ton of money. Should I just get an actual amp? In which case which one would be good for metal? And cost around $100

Here is the list of things that I currently do have:

Guitar=Squier Stratocaster [forbidden link]

1/4 to 3.5mm1/8 male adapter [forbidden link]

Monster cable [forbidden link]

Computer is windows 7

Last edited by The_Reginald : 12-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.
The_Reginald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
The_Reginald

Well never mind about the links i guess. Would a Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 USB Interface thing be what I need? Or does that just do the same thing as the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter that I have?

Last edited by The_Reginald : 12-04-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
ivan987

I think you turned on the option to listen to the line in or mic device. Because of that, you don't hear the sound produced by Guitar Rig, you just hear the guitar plugged straight in. Play with some settings (speaker icon in tray -> right click, select "Recording Devices" -> select interface you plugged your guitar into, then right click and check the "Listen" tab.

Hardware: you have multiple options for connecting the guitar to your PC - simplest way is to plug in your guitar into the LINE IN input using the 1/4 to 3.5mm1/8 male adapter. This is the cheapest solution, but if your built in sound card is not good enough, you will get poor sound as a result.

Second choice is to buy a guitar-to-usb cable or interface, which is more expensive, but it will solve some of your problems. Third and the most expensive solution is to buy a dedicated sound card with high-z input, so you can plug the guitar table straight in.

I would suggest to start with the 1/4 to 3.5mm1/8 male adapter, since you are a beginner.

Software: Use Amplitube for guitar amp simulation. I have tried a few programs and amplitube seems to work the best for me. I also use a Windows 7 PC, without any external sound cards. Just be sure to use ASIO sound drivers to get rid of the latency.

Last edited by ivan987 : 12-05-2012 at 07:40 AM.
ivan987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
The_Reginald

Thanks for your help ivan. The ASIO4all driver made it so guitar rig 5 and amplitude work. But now I have a problem with static. I can't find a fix for this. Someone on another site had a fix for it but it was for windows xp or something so I couldn't figure out how to transition the fix to windows 7.
This is what the person said is how to fix the static:
Dude, I know how to fix it. Go to the bottom right corner of your screen and right click "Volume" (the speaker icon). Select "Adjust Audio Properties". Click on the "Audio" tab. The second section going down should say "Sound Recording". Click volume, and when the panel shows up, you'll get a few options to choose from; Stereo Mix, CD Audio, Line In and Microphone. Under each is an empty box, and a check mark can be placed in any one at a time. If you're getting that terrible feedback noise in Asio4all, make sure that the check mark is under "Microphone". This should fix the problem.

Any ideas?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
The_Reginald

Someone said this on a youtube video in reply to a guy asking about why he has static:

Do not use the line in on a sound card, you need a high impedence input, get an audio interface for this.
Also never use guitar rig over anything but the guitars dry signal.Thats the guitar, no amp no nothing, straight into an interface and into guitar rig.

So I guess I should get the Behringer Guitar Link UCG102 USB Interface
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Better yet, spend the money to get a focusrite Scarlett 2i4. I know it seems like a lot but seeing as it'll actually, y'know, sound good...
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
The_Reginald

I might as well buy a boat
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

They're really not that expensive. Welcome to the world of musical instruments. You get what you pay for. If you buy a Behringer product, it's going to fail on you at some point and you'll end up spending even more money buying a replacement. When it comes to music, never buy cheap. Always just buy the nice thing first time around. It saves you time and money in the long run.

Look up the Line 6 UX1. It's a basic interface that plugs in via UBS and offers a variety of audio outs for listening; essentially, it replaces your computer's soundcard while it's plugged in, so you will need additional headphones or mains-powered speakers to listen to the sound, if your computer has built-in speakers those won't work. It comes with Line 6's POD Farm software which is basic but gets the job done, and importantly it will configure itself (mostly) so it's easy for anyone to set up.
There's also the Line 6 GX, which is even more basic (and, therefore, cheaper). This lacks some key outputs, so double-check that you have speakers or headphones that will work with it; it's not as flexible as the UX1.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
The_Reginald

I think I am going to get the Line 6 UX1. $80 at guitar center. Will I need special headphones or would even ipod headphones work as long as I use a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
mattrusso

If you're gonna spend $80 on a shitty interface, why not just spend $80 on a practice amp? It'll sound better.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

I use a Lexicon Alpha interface. Cheap and gets the job done.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
The_Reginald

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrusso
If you're gonna spend $80 on a shitty interface, why not just spend $80 on a practice amp? It'll sound better.

I just thought of that lol. Cause originally the goal was to use the computer as an amp to save money but since I need an interface that cost as much as an amp there goes that idea. So should I just get the Fender Mustang I 20W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp Black from guitar center and screw using my computer as an amp?
Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
The_Reginald

What is better this Fender 25R Frontman Series II 25W 1x10 Guitar Combo Amp Black $99.99

or this Fender Mustang I 20W 1x8 Guitar Combo Amp Black $109.99

the $99 one seems better so why is it cheaper?
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 AM   #14
The_Reginald

I looked up the difference on another site and I am ganna go with the mustang
Old 12-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #15
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

I personally would get an interface, a good sequencing package like Cubase and on top of that, use a good DAW package like Overloud TH2. That's going to cost you quite a lot, but TH2 is one of the best-sounding DAW packages i've ever heard. It's amazing.

Only works if you have a fast PC though.

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-07-2012 at 06:50 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #16
Sledgeman

Quote:

Shitty interface? Have you tried it? It's as good a soundcard as any other. And with Pod Farm you can dial in more and often better tones than on a cheep ass amp. And you can use Guitar Rig, Overloud or any other amp sim. And recording and playing with backingtracks is a breeze.

No, for that kind of money i would go with the soundcard.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #17
Preacher403

Quote:

Actually, the $80 Line 6 UX1 sounds a LOT better than a $80 practice amp if you have even halfway decent powered speakers (say another $50 if you have none at all). I suspect you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I have both, I know what I'm talking about.

Plus, you can use the Line 6 to record your songs if you decide you want to...can a practice amp do that?
Preacher403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
mattrusso

What are you guys talking about? I have a Line6 UX2, (everyone who goes to my school is required to buy one) which is supposedly a step up from the UX1, and it's really pretty awful. Sure, there's worse stuff out there, but I would never record something I wanted to release through this piece of shit.

And, for the price of all the software you'll have to buy to make this thing sound even remotely good, you can buy a really nice little (5w or so) tube practice amp.

Last edited by mattrusso : 12-08-2012 at 04:05 PM.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #19
4ofus

If you're just starting out maybe get something simple like a headphone amp. Something like a Vox Amplug. You can use it with headphones or run it into the soundcard on your PC. They range from $40-100 I think.

http://www.voxamps.com/amplug/
4ofus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: