Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
weirdzaid

6L6's instead of El34's

I have a blackstar series one, it's got El34's in , i looked at many of the metal voiced amps , most use 6L6's . i called blackstar and they said it would work if u replace them , but they don't recommend it, but then again, they sell another amp which is very similar with 6l6's so it would be like de-marketing if they said it would work perfectly.

Opinion?
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

What exactly do you expect to gain from this? Just because a lot of metal voiced amps use 6L6s doesn't mean you need to, and doesn't mean it will somehow make your amp better for metal.

At the very least you will need to bias the amp to make the swap.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
dennymcf

i own a blackstar series one 6l6 and its a beast
dennymcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance

I'd drop a set of KT77's in if I were you

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
weirdzaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymcf
i own a blackstar series one 6l6 and its a beast

Youhave the four channel version 1046l6 ? or the reg series one 100 and changed the tubes?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
dennymcf

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdzaid
Youhave the four channel version 1046l6 ? or the reg series one 100 and changed the tubes?

the four channel and the gain is ridiculous, i honestly never turn the gain knob past 5 on the overdrive channels
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
weirdzaid

Quote:
the four channel and the gain is ridiculous, i honestly never turn the gain knob past 5 on the overdrive channels

So jealous , i crank the gain up to reach nice gain ,hence wanting to try different tubes.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
tubetime86

Why don't you answer my question? So far the only justification you've given for wanting to change tubes is because you noticed many metal amps use 6L6s. That's not a proper justification, and we can't tell you if its worth the hassle if we don't know what you hope to achieve.

You also seemed to ignore my comment that you will need the amp rebiased in order to make those tubes work... Which will more than likely require you take it to a tech.

Quote:
So jealous , i crank the gain up to reach nice gain ,hence wanting to try different tubes.

If this is your reasoning then don't bother. Gain comes from the preamp in those amps... You aren't overdriving the power amp, so the effect of the power amp tubes on gain is minimal.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 08-23-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
dennymcf

Quote:

have you tried using an overdrive pedal with your amp?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
weirdzaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Why don't you answer my question? So far the only justification you've given for wanting to change tubes is because you noticed many metal amps use 6L6s. That's not a proper justification, and we can't tell you if its worth the hassle if we don't know what you hope to achieve.

You also seemed to ignore my comment that you will need the amp rebiased in order to make those tubes work... Which will more than likely require you take it to a tech.

Sorry tubetime , basically i wanna reach more gain , more crunch , and i've noticed that the blackstars with 6l6's have higher gain , hence the dilemma , and regarding rebiasing, yes i will have to take it to a tech cuz i don't know jack about amp electronics etc
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
tubetime86

Quote:
Sorry tubetime , basically i wanna reach more gain , more crunch , and i've noticed that the blackstars with 6l6's have higher gain , hence the dilemma , and regarding rebiasing, yes i will have to take it to a tech cuz i don't know jack about amp electronics etc

I don't know much about the Blackstars, but the chances that the only difference you are hearing is power amp tubes is about zero. Changing power amp tubes will change the dynamics of the sound a bit, but its not going to make it a different amp, and its certainly not going to add gain.

With metal you are using preamp gain, not power amp gain. The power amp tubes are shaping the overall sound of the amp, but not the gain structure. If you want more gain you'd be better off just looking at some new preamp tubes.

What preamp tubes are in there now? Stock? Stock power tubes as well? What speakers are you running it through?

Basically there are ways to do what you want, but changing to 6L6s isn't really one of them. Some will argue that that will have almost no noticeable effect, some will argue that it will add some bass response... But no one will argue that its going to add gain.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 08-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
weirdzaid

Quote:
have you tried using an overdrive pedal with your amp?

Yeah, i do get nice gain from my amp with overdrive on , but hey if i can get better sound ,better gain from 6l6's why not, hence the question
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
tubetime86

You can't. Read my post.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
weirdzaid

Mhmmm , didn't know that, thought it was the powertubes in charge of the gain , my amps using stock 3x ecc83s 1x ecc82

Last edited by weirdzaid : 08-23-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
dennymcf

Quote:
Yeah, i do get nice gain from my amp with overdrive on , but hey if i can get better sound ,better gain from 6l6's why not, hence the question

maybe check out blackstars HT-Metal pedal, itll probs give you the gain you're after without making drastic changes to your amp.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
tubetime86

Quote:
Mhmmm , didn't know that, thought it was the powertubes in charge of the gain , my amps using 3x ecc83s 1x ecc82

No in a metal amp (or an amp being used for metal style gain) you are overdriving the preamp tubes for your gain, and simply using the power amp to make it louder. Classic rock styled amps (or amps being used that way) are overdriving the power amp, while keeping the preamp clean, which provides a looser, more spongey overdrive tone. Think of Neil Young distortion (power amp) versus Metallica (pre amp.)

What brand are the tubes though?

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
weirdzaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
No in a metal amp (or an amp being used for metal style gain) you are overdriving the preamp tubes for your gain, and simply using the power amp to make it louder. Classic rock styled amps (or amps being used that way) are overdriving the power amp, while keeping the preamp clean, which provides a looser, more spongey overdrive tone. Think of Neil Young distortion (power amp) versus Metallica (pre amp.)

What brand are the tubes though?

not a darn clue got it brand new this way .
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me

Jj's in the pre and boost the shit out of it with a ts. Or sell it and buy something more suited to your style. Id try the jj's first if you can cause you can keep them even if you decide to sell it
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
I'd drop a set of KT77's in if I were you

+1

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
weirdzaid

Now im confused, 2 recomendded changing the power amp tubes to kt88's , and ur saying it plays no role .

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy the way it is with a ts infront , but im just wondering if there's an " upgrade " to it .

Rate This Thread: