Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
6L6's instead of El34's

I have a blackstar series one, it's got El34's in , i looked at many of the metal voiced amps , most use 6L6's . i called blackstar and they said it would work if u replace them , but they don't recommend it, but then again, they sell another amp which is very similar with 6l6's so it would be like de-marketing if they said it would work perfectly.

Opinion?
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
What exactly do you expect to gain from this? Just because a lot of metal voiced amps use 6L6s doesn't mean you need to, and doesn't mean it will somehow make your amp better for metal.

At the very least you will need to bias the amp to make the swap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
dennymcf
Registered User
 
dennymcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
i own a blackstar series one 6l6 and its a beast
dennymcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
 
AxSilentxLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
I'd drop a set of KT77's in if I were you
__________________
Gear list here.

Check out my band!

One Night in Paris
AxSilentxLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymcf
i own a blackstar series one 6l6 and its a beast


Youhave the four channel version 1046l6 ? or the reg series one 100 and changed the tubes?
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
dennymcf
Registered User
 
dennymcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdzaid
Youhave the four channel version 1046l6 ? or the reg series one 100 and changed the tubes?

the four channel and the gain is ridiculous, i honestly never turn the gain knob past 5 on the overdrive channels
dennymcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymcf
the four channel and the gain is ridiculous, i honestly never turn the gain knob past 5 on the overdrive channels


So jealous , i crank the gain up to reach nice gain ,hence wanting to try different tubes.
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Why don't you answer my question? So far the only justification you've given for wanting to change tubes is because you noticed many metal amps use 6L6s. That's not a proper justification, and we can't tell you if its worth the hassle if we don't know what you hope to achieve.

You also seemed to ignore my comment that you will need the amp rebiased in order to make those tubes work... Which will more than likely require you take it to a tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdzaid
So jealous , i crank the gain up to reach nice gain ,hence wanting to try different tubes.

If this is your reasoning then don't bother. Gain comes from the preamp in those amps... You aren't overdriving the power amp, so the effect of the power amp tubes on gain is minimal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 08-23-2012 at 09:25 AM.
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
dennymcf
Registered User
 
dennymcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdzaid
So jealous , i crank the gain up to reach nice gain ,hence wanting to try different tubes.

have you tried using an overdrive pedal with your amp?
dennymcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Why don't you answer my question? So far the only justification you've given for wanting to change tubes is because you noticed many metal amps use 6L6s. That's not a proper justification, and we can't tell you if its worth the hassle if we don't know what you hope to achieve.

You also seemed to ignore my comment that you will need the amp rebiased in order to make those tubes work... Which will more than likely require you take it to a tech.


Sorry tubetime , basically i wanna reach more gain , more crunch , and i've noticed that the blackstars with 6l6's have higher gain , hence the dilemma , and regarding rebiasing, yes i will have to take it to a tech cuz i don't know jack about amp electronics etc
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdzaid
Sorry tubetime , basically i wanna reach more gain , more crunch , and i've noticed that the blackstars with 6l6's have higher gain , hence the dilemma , and regarding rebiasing, yes i will have to take it to a tech cuz i don't know jack about amp electronics etc

I don't know much about the Blackstars, but the chances that the only difference you are hearing is power amp tubes is about zero. Changing power amp tubes will change the dynamics of the sound a bit, but its not going to make it a different amp, and its certainly not going to add gain.

With metal you are using preamp gain, not power amp gain. The power amp tubes are shaping the overall sound of the amp, but not the gain structure. If you want more gain you'd be better off just looking at some new preamp tubes.

What preamp tubes are in there now? Stock? Stock power tubes as well? What speakers are you running it through?

Basically there are ways to do what you want, but changing to 6L6s isn't really one of them. Some will argue that that will have almost no noticeable effect, some will argue that it will add some bass response... But no one will argue that its going to add gain.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Last edited by tubetime86 : 08-23-2012 at 09:31 AM.
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennymcf
have you tried using an overdrive pedal with your amp?


Yeah, i do get nice gain from my amp with overdrive on , but hey if i can get better sound ,better gain from 6l6's why not, hence the question
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
You can't. Read my post.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #14
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Mhmmm , didn't know that, thought it was the powertubes in charge of the gain , my amps using stock 3x ecc83s 1x ecc82

Last edited by weirdzaid : 08-23-2012 at 09:35 AM.
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
dennymcf
Registered User
 
dennymcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdzaid
Yeah, i do get nice gain from my amp with overdrive on , but hey if i can get better sound ,better gain from 6l6's why not, hence the question

maybe check out blackstars HT-Metal pedal, itll probs give you the gain you're after without making drastic changes to your amp.
dennymcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
 
tubetime86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdzaid
Mhmmm , didn't know that, thought it was the powertubes in charge of the gain , my amps using 3x ecc83s 1x ecc82

No in a metal amp (or an amp being used for metal style gain) you are overdriving the preamp tubes for your gain, and simply using the power amp to make it louder. Classic rock styled amps (or amps being used that way) are overdriving the power amp, while keeping the preamp clean, which provides a looser, more spongey overdrive tone. Think of Neil Young distortion (power amp) versus Metallica (pre amp.)

What brand are the tubes though?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
No in a metal amp (or an amp being used for metal style gain) you are overdriving the preamp tubes for your gain, and simply using the power amp to make it louder. Classic rock styled amps (or amps being used that way) are overdriving the power amp, while keeping the preamp clean, which provides a looser, more spongey overdrive tone. Think of Neil Young distortion (power amp) versus Metallica (pre amp.)

What brand are the tubes though?


not a darn clue got it brand new this way .
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
bluestratplayer
I wouldn't listen to me
 
bluestratplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tennessee
Jj's in the pre and boost the shit out of it with a ts. Or sell it and buy something more suited to your style. Id try the jj's first if you can cause you can keep them even if you decide to sell it
__________________
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Peavey Impact 1
LTD MH350=FR
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, and deeelay
Vox Time Machine
Crybaby 535Q

Cmatmods.com
bluestratplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #19
gregs1020
Hi mom!
 
gregs1020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxSilentxLine
I'd drop a set of KT77's in if I were you

+1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I may just make you an honorary Aussie for that one greg.

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
weirdzaid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Now im confused, 2 recomendded changing the power amp tubes to kt88's , and ur saying it plays no role .

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy the way it is with a ts infront , but im just wondering if there's an " upgrade " to it .
weirdzaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.