Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
Sempermore

Another ''What Amp?'' thread!

Hello!

During the days inbetween christmas and new years eve (I don't know if you have a special words for those days like we swedes do) I am planning on getting new gear due to the sales. To be more direct a new amp. I am looking for a top and a stack!

My budget is around 1000$. Please suggest something over the budget if you think it might suit me!

I play mostly metal but I also enjoy playing blues, jazz and alot of other genres. But metal comes first. My favourite guitar-players are: Synyster Gates, Alexi Laiho, Hamett, Dime, Guthrie Govan, Tosin Abasi, Satriani and Yngwie. I would very much desire the amp to produce decent cleans (when playing f.e the Black Star intro) altough it's not a must!

I would prefer a new amp, but if theres a killer top and stack for 1100$ used then suggest it!

I am looking for an amp to gig with and use when rehearsing with the band. Anyone out there whos rehearsed with a Line 6 Spider 4 75w would understand in what dire situation i'm in! I need something that can match the drummers china in sound and still produce notes that can be recognized!

My dream amp would be one that produces an really nice high gain sound suited for that fast kind of playing (shredding if you may) that is Yngwie, Dimebag and so on, while being able to switch to some heavyriffing without sounding ''weak''. Think A Day To Remember breakdowns (no hate) versus Bite The Bullet with Machine Head.

I have absolutley no clue what amp or brand I should go with besides the fact that I would like an tubeamp. The Orange amps do catch my eye but that is solely because I love the way they look. I've been told they aren't well suited for metal...

I would appreciate all the help I could get!

Thanks a bunch and take care!
Sempermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

gotta try some amps out man. trust me. dont go by what others tell you. cause its all about what you like, id youtube amps your intersted in. that helps a little if you can find a good video. tough to ask people whats good cause everyone has a different opinion of good. take mesas for example, do they sound awsome? yes. would i want one? no. they sound killer but everybody and their mother use them. i dont want to sound like everybody else. other companies make some killer stuff, so dont always look at whats the most popular.

Last edited by Vicious_Turtle : 12-05-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle
gotta try some amps out man. trust me. dont go by what others tell you. cause its all about what you like, id youtube amps your intersted in. that helps a little if you can find a good video. tough to ask people whats good cause everyone has a different opinion of good. take mesas for example, do they sound awsome? yes. would i want one? no. they sound killer but everybody and their mother use them. i dont want to sound like everybody else. other companies make some killer stuff, so dont always look at whats the most popular.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

What breed of god is that? He seriously looks EXACTLY like my unknown breed of mutt just about 2/3 size.
Dan'o EQ: 9/10
Mooer Shimverb: 7/10
Digidelay: 8/10
Peavey Valveking 112 - Jensen MOD speaker: 8/10
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempermore
Hello!

During the days inbetween christmas and new years eve (I don't know if you have a special words for those days like we swedes do) I am planning on getting new gear due to the sales. To be more direct a new amp. I am looking for a top and a stack!

My budget is around 1000$. Please suggest something over the budget if you think it might suit me!

I play mostly metal but I also enjoy playing blues, jazz and alot of other genres. But metal comes first. My favourite guitar-players are: Synyster Gates, Alexi Laiho, Hamett, Dime, Guthrie Govan, Tosin Abasi, Satriani and Yngwie. I would very much desire the amp to produce decent cleans (when playing f.e the Black Star intro) altough it's not a must!

I would prefer a new amp, but if theres a killer top and stack for 1100$ used then suggest it!

I am looking for an amp to gig with and use when rehearsing with the band. Anyone out there whos rehearsed with a Line 6 Spider 4 75w would understand in what dire situation i'm in! I need something that can match the drummers china in sound and still produce notes that can be recognized!

My dream amp would be one that produces an really nice high gain sound suited for that fast kind of playing (shredding if you may) that is Yngwie, Dimebag and so on, while being able to switch to some heavyriffing without sounding ''weak''. Think A Day To Remember breakdowns (no hate) versus Bite The Bullet with Machine Head.

I have absolutley no clue what amp or brand I should go with besides the fact that I would like an tubeamp. The Orange amps do catch my eye but that is solely because I love the way they look. I've been told they aren't well suited for metal...

I would appreciate all the help I could get!

Thanks a bunch and take care!

dear god not the spider IV 75 watt. it's basically an overgrown starter amp. there should be a lot better for your budget. (i hope anyway)

a lot of good info in your post. thank you for that.

i'm not familiar with pricing where you are so hopefully others can chime in with some good options.

some oranges are decent for types of metal, but i'll leave suggestions to those who know their models better than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

I just suggested it in another thread, but it fits again. JSX
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #7
RadioMuse

Nothing wrong with going for an Orange as long as you expect it to be kinda fuzzy and are okay with using an overdrive or external distortion to really push it over the edge into "chunka chunka" territory.

Orange cabs don't have the tight low end a lot of metal guitarists seek, but you could still go with an Orange head (top) and a different brand cabinet as long as the speaker cab's impedance is AT OR ABOVE that of the amplifiers output impedance (otherwise you risk damaging the head)
RadioMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
LukeBTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
I just suggested it in another thread, but it fits again.
JSX

I agree 110%.You can get a used JSX head for roughly $600. For the price, you can't really go wrong with a JSX. Just be sure to use a Noise Supressor or an ISP Decimator if you plan on using it's Ultra channel.
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
LukeBTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #9
gregs1020
Hi mom!

he's in sweden guys.

Quote:
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
Old 12-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #10
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

Are you saying a JSX is expensive in Sweden? Because I have no idea.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i have no idea either.

i just figured nobody caught on that the TS was in sweden and their prices are a lot different from ours.

for all i know some engls may be the affordable option used.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #12
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

If so, I'm moving to Sweden
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #13
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
If so, I'm moving to Sweden

Right behind ya.

TS, are any brands easier/tougher to come by where you live? I know these guys have ideas, but we aren't sure what prices are like there. For example, if you were to say that Peaveys are terribly price-gouged in Sweden, JSX/XXX/Ultra goes from good suggestion to bad suggestion.

Help us out here. Nice OP by the way.

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
laylo

Need some advice myself on what amp to go for.

I want an all valve amp, not hybrid (I currently have a 15watt fender superchamp xd i'd like to move away from). I'm mainly a bedroom user, but would like an amp that can handle small gigs/rehearsals etc. Therefore i think I'm looking for:
15watt or up to 30watt if it has an attenuater (30/15/7 kinda thing)
Either head or combo
2 channel - 1 crunch/dirty/fat/overdrive and 1 for clean tones
Foot switchable
Effects loop

I'd be running the head through a Blackstar HT112 Cab which is 12" blackbird 50watt speaker, 16ohms impedance.

I've looked at the Orange dual terror, however it doesn't have an effects loop! The Orange Dark Terror is a contender as I love the shape control, easy to use and a good range of tonality, however it's only single channel. The only other one is the Orange TH30, this seems to offer the complete spec, but I haven't heard one yet and is a little over my budget. I've looked at other options and am struggling to find what I need. My budget is around the 500 mark but can go a bit higher for the right amp. I mainly play improvisational blues stuff. Gritty, raw, fuzzy, crunch a bit of distortion and gain etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
laylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by laylo
Need some advice myself on what amp to go for.

I want an all valve amp, not hybrid (I currently have a 15watt fender superchamp xd i'd like to move away from). I'm mainly a bedroom user, but would like an amp that can handle small gigs/rehearsals etc. Therefore i think I'm looking for:
15watt or up to 30watt if it has an attenuater (30/15/7 kinda thing)
Either head or combo
2 channel - 1 crunch/dirty/fat/overdrive and 1 for clean tones
Foot switchable
Effects loop

I'd be running the head through a Blackstar HT112 Cab which is 12" blackbird 50watt speaker, 16ohms impedance.

I've looked at the Orange dual terror, however it doesn't have an effects loop! The Orange Dark Terror is a contender as I love the shape control, easy to use and a good range of tonality, however it's only single channel. The only other one is the Orange TH30, this seems to offer the complete spec, but I haven't heard one yet and is a little over my budget. I've looked at other options and am struggling to find what I need. My budget is around the 500 mark but can go a bit higher for the right amp. I mainly play improvisational blues stuff. Gritty, raw, fuzzy, crunch a bit of distortion and gain etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

start your own thread. don't threadjack this guy's thread. oh i see you did.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: