Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
CageTheGates

Need help buying new guitar

Hello everybody, i need advice from you guys that have played various guitars. Im going to be buying a new(or used) guitar $600-$800 and i play stuff from pearl jam, 311, trivium, A7X (most rock genres).
I need help deciding between the following choices, note that i want a guitar that i can keep for the rest of my life.

my current candidates are:
Used Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson SG Standard
ESP LTD EC-1000 (not the ones with EMG's)
PRS SE custom 24

New Epiphone prophecy GX

(used or new) Schecter S-1 custom
Schecter Tempest custom

have you had any experience with any of these guitars? For a more versatile sound should i stick to passive pickups or what? And what are your thoughts about coil-splitting, is it worth getting a guitar with that is featured in the epiphone and the schecter customs?

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by CageTheGates : 12-27-2012 at 04:42 AM.
CageTheGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz

1) no experience with any of those, but PRS and ESP tend to be well made with good QC. I gather that Gibson's QC has been suspect for a while- again, haven't seen any issues personally- but that is something to consider.

2) personally, I don't care for actives, at least in part because I don't want to mess with more batteries.* If you have a good amp and pedals, you should be able to get almost whatever tone you want with whatever pickups you have, though.

3) I really like coil-splitting, but in most cases, it doesn't quite sound like a singlecoil. If you must have the singlecoil sound, coil-split HBs won't quite do it for you. If you just want to get close, its great.

4) if you're open to other suggestions, check out guitars from Fernandes, Godin, G&L, Malden, DBZ, and Reverend

* that didn't stop me from buying a Fernandes Ravelle Elite with a sustainer.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-27-2012 at 05:09 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Doadman

Without a shadow of a doubt, I'd go with the PRS SE Custom 24. I own one and it's absolutely superb. The build quality is easily a match for my Made in Japan Jackson Soloist that cost a lot more money, the versatility is incredible, upper fret access is fantastic and the stock pickups are so good that I had mine for a whole year before I eventually upgraded to my usual Bare Knuckles. In comparison, I'd ditched the Seymour Duncans that came in my Jackson within 2 weeks of buying it!

As for other points you raised; in my experience, passive pickups are far more versatile and produce superior tone to actives but having said that, a rubbish passive is still going to be worse than an excellent active. Coil splitting can be useful and can easily be done. I used to have it done to all of my guitars but these days I don't bother as 99% of the time I just prefer a humbucker tone anyway.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

FWIW, his take on the PRS is one I hear a lot. Not too many people are wish-washy on that guitar.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Doadman

I only have the two guitars as that's all I need and I love my Jackson but if I could have only one, it would be the PRS. There's only two things I'm not keen on with my PRS and that's the flat top and the positioning of the pickup selector. Both are minor things and both have been rectified on the new model so now it's about as perfect as it is ever likely to be. I've been so impressed with my Custom 24 that I'd have bought a PRS Torero instead of my Jackson Soloist but the Torero came with no fret markers (why have a PRS without the lovely bird inlays?) and it had those bloody awful active EMG pickups.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
NHECOS
UG Senior Member

Prs
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
BOSS ME-70 -->
LINE 6 Pod Studio UX1
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
YAMAHA THR 10 -->
MILF Tease
NHECOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Glenn Guitar

Have you played the Les Paul? Is it in good condition, is the quality good?

Are you getting these guitars from a store?

On consistent quality wise, the EC-1000 and the PRS are most reliable. Problem is, both aren't really what i'd call "inspiring". They are solid guitars for the job though.

If you get a good quality SG Standard or LP Studio you will enjoy it more IMO. If i was taking build quality out of the question, i'd go with the SG Standard.

Also don't be fooled by the Gibson QC criticism, models as of late are better in terms of QC.

For me personally, i'd say the SG Standard. Whether its a safe buy or not, i can't really tell you. You have to play them IMO.
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Glenn Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

I own a Schecter Tempest Hellraiser (like the Custom, but with EMGs) and I love it. The fit and finish are great, it feels awesome to play and the coilsplitting is very good, I can get a great single coil clean sound from it in addition to the full fat metal overload provided by the EMGs.

Its a great guitar but for something that you want to own for a long time, GO PLAY AS MANY AS YOU CAN!
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: