Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
LessThanLuke
No.

Why is my tab content on Guitartabs.cc?

The site seems to have a near-identical ToS to UG, and has all of my tabs on it. Not really too pleased about it, to be honest.

What's going on?
LessThanLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Gu1T@r_H3r0
Paper Champion

Invariably your tabs are gonna be used elsewhere. This is the internet, nothing is sacred. There's not a whole lot that can be done about this, so take solace front the fact that your tab is helping aspiring and veteran guitarists alike.
Gu1T@r_H3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
pete-c
pizza

I saw the same thing with my own tabs earlier in the year, they'd copy/pasted the entire thing and put it on a bunch of different tab websites (guitartabs.cc too). Was a bit disappointed too, but like Gu1T@r_H3r0 said, it's just helping your tab help more people. And i'm sure you tabbed the song to help others in the first place :P (it is still pretty annoying, though.)

I used to make new content for Counter-Strike, the community of which used to be probably the biggest source of good quality weapon models on the internet (well, i'm sure there are/were other places too), which was really fun until I realised that'd made it one of the best places for other people into FPS modding to steal your work. I'm still finding people using my models in their game mods and claiming credit for them (thanks, I spent weeks/months on it, and they get all the praise).
The worst example was where someone took a friends AK47 model and put it on Turbosquid (where you upload your models, and others can buy them for a certain price) claiming it was his.
It ended up in the Lord Of War DVD menu because the guys making that movie obviously didn't realise it was stolen, which resulted in some crazy lawsuits.

So it could be worse

last.fm | my tabs / mp3s | soundcloud

Last edited by pete-c : 12-05-2012 at 08:12 AM.
pete-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Lemoninfluence
Masculist

http://whois.domaintools.com/guitartabs.cc

Quote:
Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: GUITARTABS.CC

Registrant:
Domains By Proxy, LLC

Domain servers in listed order:
NS.ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM
NS1.ULTIMATE-GUITAR.COM

Looks like it could be another service offered by UG, like 911 tabs.

If so, it'd be covered by the ToS on UG.

But I couldn't be too sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Lemoninfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
LessThanLuke
No.

This is the same site that hosts a page for every song on dozens of unreleased albums, even when there are no submitted tabs, and still insists on indexing them on 911tabs, meaning you can click through to their site (and presumably their advertising revenue) on a false promise of content.

It's a despicable business practise, and I'd love to have somebody from UG attempt to justify it. Expanding the market by cloning your product and passing it off as that of a third party to encourage competition. It's analogous to 911tabs not displaying which is a Tab Pro file on a search (still indexing it as Guitar Pro), meaning you can click through to a tab you'd need to pay to view. Awful.

Last edited by LessThanLuke : 12-06-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
LostLegion
FREE SUAREZ!

Yeah the tabs just sort of automatically go on websites like guitartabs.cc, guitaretab and Tabondant.

That's pretty much why you should put your contact information up so at least it puts the tab as yours.

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Joshua Garcia
Mr. Clean

What bothers me most is that if I find a mistake in my tab and need to update it, it won't be updated on those other sites.

I've been thinking about adding a "Tabbed @ UG.com" to my tabs and hoping it goes through, but then again, I usually get it right the first time.

Most likely change it from living to dead
Joshua Garcia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

I'd be flattered.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
LessThanLuke
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
I'd be flattered.

That your content is being used elsewhere, without credit or your permission? I'm pretty angry, to be honest. It begs an official explanation, really, not that one will be forthcoming, I'm sure.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
MH400
‭‭

You could just PM zappp...?
MH400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessThanLuke
That your content is being used elsewhere, without credit or your permission? I'm pretty angry, to be honest. It begs an official explanation, really, not that one will be forthcoming, I'm sure.

Its the internet, and by posting useful content on a free site that can be easily copied what can you expect?

Sure it would be nice but really I don't care about the guys name I am just grateful for whoever did and deep down you know its your work and really thats all that matters for me.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 AM   #12
LessThanLuke
No.

Being easily copied is the specific purpose of the massive user agreement. If UG decide they want to break their own rules and form phoney competition for themselves (for whatever reason), I don't want any part of it. I assume I'm bound to it by the EULA, but it's still a pretty shitty, underhanded thing to do to their contributors.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
LostLegion
FREE SUAREZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
What bothers me most is that if I find a mistake in my tab and need to update it, it won't be updated on those other sites.

I've been thinking about adding a "Tabbed @ UG.com" to my tabs and hoping it goes through, but then again, I usually get it right the first time.

Yeah I just usually add stuff like 'Enjoy, Ultimate-Guitar!!'.

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
LessThanLuke
No.

Right, but if it's UG doing it, what's to stop them editing out all references to UG and replacing them with GuitarTabs.cc?

UG are the ones perpetrating it, they can screw with it all they want, they can edit your name out entirely if they feel like it.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
LeakyFlask
onaarq

Quote:
Right, but if it's UG doing it, what's to stop them editing out all references to UG and replacing them with GuitarTabs.cc?

UG are the ones perpetrating it, they can screw with it all they want, they can edit your name out entirely if they feel like it.

They don't though. Not that I've noticed anyway. Even if they did want to, it'd probably be too much work.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

I wouldn't mind at all, as long as nobody else takes credit for it.

...hmm, I don't really put my personal info (at least username/name) in the tabs I make. Maybe I should lol
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #17
zappp
+ UG Master +

Guys sorry for the delayed reply.

The best and simple answer to this is that we are trying to hold all the pieces together and prevent people from stealing tabs to non-UG affiliated sites by showcasing them on our sites and thus funneling the traffic into the right direction. If you'll dig deeper you will notice that 50% or more of UG tabs get posted elsewhere, on dozens of other sites, because they use bots that automatically copy tabs to these sites without asking you or us for any permission. They don't invest resources into building community, hiring engineers, support, etc - they just copy content off UG. And these are also who often remove credentials or reference to UG. We don't do that.
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
LessThanLuke
No.

Right, but in place of that you register false domain names and act as if they're entirely separate entities. You're creating false competition, 911tabs too. How skewed would Google search results be if they were owned by FOX, or Amazon or something?

If you own it all, why are you indexing it all so dishonestly? It's all very underhanded, and doesn't exactly engender trust from your user base, who frankly have given UG all it has.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:
Right, but in place of that you register false domain names and act as if they're entirely separate entities. You're creating false competition, 911tabs too. How skewed would Google search results be if they were owned by FOX, or Amazon or something?

If you own it all, why are you indexing it all so dishonestly? It's all very underhanded, and doesn't exactly engender trust from your user base, who frankly have given UG all it has.

so you'd prefer you tabs to appear on sites where you credentials will be definitely removed and no thank you given not to mention a certain harm made to the UG, to which you have given all you has, in the form of bots consuming traffic and not watching ads, as well as dishonestly ignoring the fact that we invest into the community in the form of a few dozen professional staff all around the globe who we pay to support, improve and implement ideas that we have and that you have... and all they need to do is just run the bot and you know what - doing nothing but generating revenue on the work of yours and ours that they simply stole.

tell me where is black and white here? there is no white solution, but grey is better than nothing.

and finally, what is 'false competition'? what you just wrote above is non existent nonsense.

oh, and bytheway, we also pay royalties on these works from that site too to your beloved artists and others not (simple as that, there are just several sites operating legally, and non of the sites that steal your work off UG operate that way). so they're not just stealing the works, but also make royalties less than they could be if only legal site would exist.
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

I thought it was strange to see 911tabs when I googled, as soon as I looked, the format was obvious to me it was part of UG. Then all sorts of questions popped into my mind about why, now I'm starting to understand.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: