Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
jlrmagnani

Help Talent Show next Friday!

Hello: My 13 year old daughter is playing Neil Zaza I'm alright on her Talent show and I would like for her to rock the house! It's a small gym in a Catholic school !!! I am going to rent everything but I don't know exactly what I need??? She said she needs delay and reverb. How many amps? how many speakers? which size? My Rental budget is around 300.00 She has her guitar and she really really plays amazing! Thanks
jlrmagnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

As far as pedals go, considering this is all a rental, I'd see if you could rent a multiFX pedal instead of multiple pedals (unless she has her own already).

One tube amp of 20-40 watts is sufficient...and depending on the actual environment, may even be overkill!

A solid-state amp with built-in effects could kill 2 birds with one stone, and you probably wouldn't need one more than 60w for the task.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Robbgnarly

where are you located in the world?

You may be able to buy what shee needs for your budget.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
jlrmagnani

Thank You very much Danny, I am new at this, do you have any brand and model suggestions?
Should I use two to make it stereo??? Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
jlrmagnani

Hello Robb, Thank you for asking I am in Dallas Tx
Old 12-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Howdy neighbor! I'm in Coppell!

I wouldn't bother with the second amp for a stereo effect. She'll be better off- better SOUNDING- renting one good amp rather than two mediocre ones.

As for buy vs rent: long term, buying is better, end of story. Short term, you probably don't have enough time to try out gear to figure out what works best for her style, so renting something for the show is probably the best way to go.

Or...is there anyone she could BORROW something from?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-05-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

I just listened to alive performance of the song- kind of Satriani-esque in tone. So I would be looking for something that delivers good cleans. Fender, Vox, Peavey, Carvin...

What is available for rent? (I have never rented any instruments.)

Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrmagnani
Hello: My 13 year old daughter is playing Neil Zaza I'm alright on her Talent show and I would like for her to rock the house! It's a small gym in a Catholic school !!! I am going to rent everything but I don't know exactly what I need??? She said she needs delay and reverb. How many amps? how many speakers? which size? My Rental budget is around 300.00 She has her guitar and she really really plays amazing! Thanks

Well, if she plays electric guitar, she should have her own amp. So if she doesn't have an amp yet, I think it's about time to buy one.

Is she playing alone or with a band? If alone, even a Micro Cube might be enough (I'm not really suggesting a Micro Cube). But with a band you want to look at something more powerful. I think 20-40 watts tube might be more than enough. I mean, you don't need that much power for a small talent show gig. There's nothing wrong with that much power, but really if it's a small gym gig, I bet she will be playing at pretty low volumes (compared to "real" gigs). For example at our band practices we keep the 50 watt guitar amp volume at 1.5/10 and it's enough to be heard over our drummer (he's not a loud drummer but still). So don't worry too much about power.

Most of the amps will have built in reverb.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
jlrmagnani

Thumbs up

Thank you guys you are really helping me out ! I forgot to mention she will be playing alone with backingtrack from her computer, she has an amp but it's really amateur. She is super shy but she loves so much her music she got the courage to perform! That's why I want to help her make it special! What should I get her? is a bulb Marshall very expensive?
Thank you Danny thank you Magara!

Last edited by jlrmagnani : 12-05-2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
She is super shy but she loves so much her music she got the courage to perform!

Hey, then she's already won half the battle!

As for cost, you can get fairly decent small combo amps- solid state OR tube- under $400, and even less if you are willing to go used. Check place like Music-Go-Round, Murphy's, Mr. E's, and Grapevine Guitar Works in addition to Guitar Center.

GC will have more overall, but the other places will have good stuff, too.

MaggaraMarine is probably right about 40w being a lot, but I wanted to err on the side of caution, not knowing how big the space is. One thing I didn't want is for her to show up with too small an amp. It would have to work harder, and her cleans wouldn't sound as nice. I own a 40w Fender HRD, and I never get it past 4, but I don't play in large spaces, either. But as you say, she won't be playing with a band, just a backing track.

In that case, a tube combo on the lower end should be plenty!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
Don't Panic Ok?
Clive Dunn

According to this video on Neil Zaza's YouTube channel he states that he was using a Carvin Legacy (presumably the Legacy 3), Fulltone Full-Drive 2, and a Boss DD-3 (positioned in the amplifiers effects loop) to achieve his live tone there. This is probably not what he used to get his recorded tone, but it may be a good starting place for looking at gear.

I primarily play clean, and as a result I am not the person to ask about this type of tone, however I'm sure many people on here can point you in the right direction for settings and similar gear to be bought or rented within your budget.

Also good job on being an awesome parent!

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!

Last edited by Don't Panic Ok? : 12-05-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Grammatical error.
Don't Panic Ok? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

I was actually thinking about the Carvins when I first heard it, but figured that wasn't likely to be available on short notice.

They sound great, IMHO, but even their smaller combo amps may be a tad pricey for the OP...

Edit: just checked- most are $500+, but a couple in their Vintage (tube) line and their SX (solid state) would work. Not feasible on this immediate timetable, though, but definitely an option for her own pesonal amp!

The one and only caveat I have heard about Carvin amps is that they can be a tad delicate, but the guys who said that were gigging musicians who worked bars and lugged their stuff around in a crowded van.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-05-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #13
wahalrus
Call me walrus! Or latte!

Hey,
A great thing to rent or buy (if available) is a Roland Cube 40XL ($249 new) (or 80XL ($400 new) but it might be a bit too loud) for a Satch-esque tone. If you want to go to the tube end of the spectrum, a Blackstar HT-5R for rent should be able to pull off a nice tone, but I'm not 100% sure it will be loud enough...

Gear:
Fernandes Retrorocket Deluxe DG
Fender Lonestar Deluxe Reissue (MIM)
ZOOM G5
Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive
wahalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

40 watts isn't too much but it's not what you need, you can manage with less. That's why I said that you don't need 40 watts. But there's a thing called volume knob.

Even 5 watts will be loud when you crank it.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

First thing that springs to my mind is a Marshall DSL401 combo + either Boss or DigiTech pedals, whatever is easiest/cheapest to rent. The DSL401 is a pretty standard all-round rock amp and can be used for everything from blues to progressive instrumental styles to heavy metal, to country - anything. Marshall DSLs have a particularly good clean sound, as far as non-Fenders go. Reverb comes built in to the DSL401. Delay pedals are very standard and no brand is going to be better than another when we're talking about just renting something for one performance; some brands are built better and will last longer, but that only matters if you're buying, not renting. If you did decide to buy one outright, Boss and DigiTech are my personal favourites for standard delay pedals because they're built solidly, are priced somewhat lower than the boutique competition and usually have some flexibility without being overly complicated.

It's not a rig that will blow anybody's mind, but it will get the job done and most importantly, it's a simple amp to operate which is important when you're using gear you're not familiar with.

Just to chip in on the power thing, if she's playing to a backing track then any valve amp rated at 15w or more will be loud enough. For a solid state amp you'd want about 25w or more. If you decided to buy something though, it does make more sense to spend a little more and buy something that has more power than is needed. Buying something small, then having to replace it with something larger later on, doesn't make much sense. But small would be fine for renting just for one day.
One thing to stay clear of, rental or otherwise, is amps with lots and lots of effects built in. They may seem like a good idea at first but they usually sound rather naff and they can be more complicated to operate than a more basic amp with a pedal.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #16
jlrmagnani

Thumbs up

Hello Guys:
First I want to thank everyone that took time to read and post ideas for my daughter's TS.
This is what makes us different in life! I Really really appreciated!

I hope it's not her first and last gig! So this is what I bought:

1 USED LINE 6 HD 100 MKII SPIDER VALVE HEAD in great condition $300.00
1 LINE 6 SHORTBOARD MKII new $180.00
1 USED MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER 2X12 140W CLOSED BACK GTR CABINET 8.0 $450.00
Total $930.00

Any suggestions before the big show tonight?

KIndest regards

Joe
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
dannyalcatraz

I know its obvious, but sometimes, the obvious gets lost in the excitement & nerves: did you make sure everything works before you get there?

If so, make sure she dials the amp in a bit before she goes so she doesn't need to spend too much time doing that when she has to set up.

Rate This Thread: