Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Monkeyleg
UG Fanatic

How does Keith Richards get this sound?

I've always loved the Stones' version of "Little Queenie" on Get Your Ya Ya's Out. One part of the song I can't figure out is the very beginning.

At the beginning Keith Richards plays just one chord in rhythm several times, then switches to alternating between two chords. On some of the chords, his staccato is so sharp that it almost sounds like the notes are slapping. You can hear it right before the bass kicks in on this Youtube video at 35:23--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRUP5xMPBCY

If anyone has an idea as to how he gets the chords to "slap" (I can't think of a better description), I'd love to hear it.

Ronnie Wood also has a similar sound on some chords in "Stay With Me", but for now I'll just ask about Little Queenie. I wouldn't want to subject the members here to too much old fart music.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
StevePigott

Hi Monkeyleg,

Try relaxing your fretting hand just after you hit the chord. Let the chord sound for a second and then relax the hand to unfret the chord. Not enough so your fingers completely leave the strings (or they'll ring out) but just enough to choke the sound of the chord and mute the strings.

A lot of players forget how useful the fretting hand can be when it comes to muting strings and cutting of chords etc...

Let me know if this works out for you!

Steve
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
ToXyN
I am mine

^ Steve's got it, it's fret hand muting. I use it a lot myself.

Check this out for an example, Talking heads Psycho killer, first song i thought of that i play using that technique.

ToXyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Monkeyleg
UG Fanatic

Thanks, guys. That's it.

Man, I'd forgotten about the Talking Heads. Brings back good memories.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: