Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
halfj06

need ibby help

So I have an old ibby s470.. the lo-trs II is of course wore out.. I have a floyd rose special sitting around and the posts line up but it sits a bit too low in the cavity.. what's a good way to get it to the proper higth?
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

You mean you raised the posts and it's still not high enough?

Without a pic of how it's sitting in the cavity, I can't give too much advice. You might be able to order longer posts from somewhere if you aren't looking to do any modifications to the guitar.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
halfj06

Well first off I'm no guitar tech wiz like.I see some people are here to be honest so sorry if I'm not 100 % clear... the posts raise and lower but I think the base of the trem sets a bit too low.. I donno if I can like shim it somehow.. id take a pic but I don't have it woth me, thanks for any help in advance
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

So your posts on the bass side don't go high enough? I suppose you could try to shim the neck so it tilts forward, but if your guitar has the curved neck heel, then I'm not sure how that will work out.

Or you could raise the bushing that hold the posts. Personally, I'd make a piece of hardwood that will fit in the post where the posts sit, drill 2 holes for the bushing, glue it in, and then put some thing in the hole(like washers) to raise the bushings a bit. If all of that sounds too complicated for you, then you might not want to attempt it.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
halfj06

Well here's what I can't achieve. I want to get the baseplate of the floyd closer to level with the body of my guitar i feel its a bit too far rescessed in the cavity.. how would I go about making that happen? I think I finally got out what I was trying to explain lol, thanks again for the replies warpig

I'm gonna be pissed at myself if all I had to do was just losen the posts

Last edited by halfj06 : 12-05-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
DrakeTheOne
To Live Another Day

In my opinion, retire the ibby and get a shecter.

Why are you hiding?
Because the demons from my dreams are everywhere..

Are you arguing with a German guy about how to speak German?
DrakeTheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
halfj06

Why would I want to downgrade? You must have never played a s series ibanez in good shape
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
gorgthemeatpile
UG's pile of meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Why would I want to downgrade? You must have never played a s series ibanez in good shape

QFT. My '87 S Series is one of the best playing guitars i've ever come across. Schecters on the other hand... well, I don't care for them very much at all.

As mentioned above, I would recommend loosening the posts. That should do it.
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ SD JB/DM PAF7
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
gorgthemeatpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
halfj06

I love the guitars.. its a slimmer rg and the mahognay makes it sound fuller imo.. I've had a schecter and played a couple other and they all seemed muddy and unresponsive.. I'm guessing due to to tons of wood putty .. upgrade from that pos lo-trs II and ill be good to go
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Spaztikko

Raise the posts.

"schecters are meh" said the 1992 RG560.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #11
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfj06
Well here's what I can't achieve. I want to get the baseplate of the floyd closer to level with the body of my guitar i feel its a bit too far rescessed in the cavity.. how would I go about making that happen? I think I finally got out what I was trying to explain lol, thanks again for the replies warpig

I'm gonna be pissed at myself if all I had to do was just losen the posts

So then it'd tilted to the far part of it is leaning back into the body, but not the front? you can loosen the trem spring claw, or remove a spring, both are easy to do.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
halfj06

Just the opposite actually to get it playable I had the back too high and the front too low, just gotta get it balanced..once I get it get that I'm taking it in for a pro set up as I'm a bit out of my leauge right now as if that wasn't painfully obvious lol.. next weekend ill have the gat in my hands so if loosening the posts dosent do it ill post pics so its clearer, thank you for the help.so far
Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
Viban
UG's resident bum

oh then add springs or tighten the trem spring claw, you can also set the springs so that they're at angles to add a little bit of tension. It is important that you do not adjust the post height while there is string tension on the trem, it'll dull the knife edges and affect tuning stability. It's real easy to set up a floyd, we have a thread on it somewhere, give me a moment and I'll go find it for you.

EDIT: Here it is http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=614226 give some of that a try.

Last edited by Viban : 12-08-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #14
halfj06

Thank you for the advice and link viban
Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Viban
UG's resident bum

any time bud, I remember when I was in your position, I wish I'd had someone to help me.

Rate This Thread: