Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #21
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

i have probably recommended these a dozen times in the last month. BG pickups. all custom wound in california, cheaper than SD or DM and they kill on LP's. i will be getting a hell rails and a smokestack. i have talked to brian a few times and didn't order but i will soon, i tried them on a friend's guitar, i loved them. he just had the regular hellabucker and not the hell rails. probably a 8 to 10 week wait. but i haven't checked that for a month or two.

http://www.bg-pups.com/hb.html

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #22
Offworld92
One among the fence.

^ Still waiting for you to get those so you can give us a good review.

I'm interested, but wary.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #23
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
^ Still waiting for you to get those so you can give us a good review.

I'm interested, but wary.

why wary? go to HC. he used to be on there constantly has a great rep.

i just wish i knew somebody with a hellrail. i will buy them when i want them. i just have other priorities. i always try to buy different things, but it just seems like i happen to come home with amplifiers . the music man HD212 130watt was my 'accessory cash' also i am going to buy 150' of cable and tons of ends so i have patch cables. i had it in the cart for $180. pickups may come first though. or maybe a dual rec/tremoverb or even a dr. z. or even a budda superdrive i have wanted them for a while.

EDIT: i think AM had some at one point. he convinced me on the smokestack in the neck.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 12-07-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #24
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Not wary about him, wary about the tone of the pups.

I want a Tremoverb or a blackface 2 channel Dual Rec, but the main thing stopping me from selling my JSX and getting one is that I'm not looking forward to modding the shitty parallel loop to serial.

May end up holding out altogether and just going straight for my dream amp (Twin Jet). Kind of hard when it's 3x as much though.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 12-07-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #25
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Not wary about him, wary about the tone of the pups.

I want a Tremoverb or a blackface 2 channel Dual Rec, but the main thing stopping me from selling my JSX and getting one is that I'm not looking forward to modding the shitty parallel loop to serial.

May end up holding out altogether and just going straight for my dream amp (Twin Jet). Kind of hard when it's 3x as much though.

next thing i am going to buy is either another Prestige ibby (XX20) or one of the aforementioned amps.

except for i will be finishing a big job in march or april so i will probably go all out with recording gear. new computer (had two laptops die), 12 channel interface and protools and some good mics and preamps.

protools because a community college relatively close by that has a certificate program that is 12 credit hours (one semester).

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 12-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #26
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I really want Pro Tools, but there's no ****ing way I'm paying $700 for that ish. I started recording my EP with Reaper the other day, and it's very frustrating compared to when I used Pro Tools in the past. Just not sure how to get it. I don't really want to muck around with a pirated copy and try to get that to work.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #27
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman42
Wow. Thanks for the detailed description MrFlibble. That's just the response I was looking for. So you're more of a fan of the Seymour Duncan's than the Dimarzios?
To paraphrase a user who's name I don't remember, Seymour Duncan enhance what you already have, DiMarzio give you what you don't.
I like DiMarzio in cases where I've got an unusually-constructed guitar and want to even it out. DiMarzio make great pickups for adding depth to a thin-sounding Strat or brightness to a dark-sounding PRS. However, I find they don't do a good job of working with your guitar and amp.
With Seymour Duncan pickups, I usually find that they don't completely overwrite the sound of the rest of your rig. If you've got a crap or simply inappropriate rig, this is bad. If you've got a good rig though, this is very good.

DiMarzio pickups always sound like DiMarzio pickups. To me, they are the modelling amp of the pickup world. Each one is designed for a specific sound and no matter what guitar you put it in and no matter what amp you use, that is the sound you will get. Seymour Duncan pickups simply blend in much better.

That said, in your case I think both brands are fairly evenly matched; Seymour Duncan have a few more options, but I wouldn't say either is better than the other. Playing metal on an SG through a Dual Rectifier is, luckily for you, pretty standard and well-catered for. I would have confidence in any of the pickups I mentioned before.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Gibson 57+

Great pickup.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #29
saxman42

What about the SD Screamin' Demon? Has anyone tried that one?
saxman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #30
saxman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
i have probably recommended these a dozen times in the last month. BG pickups. all custom wound in california, cheaper than SD or DM and they kill on LP's. i will be getting a hell rails and a smokestack. i have talked to brian a few times and didn't order but i will soon, i tried them on a friend's guitar, i loved them. he just had the regular hellabucker and not the hell rails. probably a 8 to 10 week wait. but i haven't checked that for a month or two.

http://www.bg-pups.com/hb.html

I really like the sound of the hellabucker and hellarail. I'm going to add those to my list of ones to consider.

I'm also debating trying to wind my own pickups. I'm a electrical engineering major and I'm definitely competent enough with electronics to give it a shot. I guess I'm just afraid of putting all of the work into building the pickups and having them sound like sh*t. Are there any companies that sell kits and/ or parts for making your own?
Old 12-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #31
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
I really like the sound of the hellabucker and hellarail. I'm going to add those to my list of ones to consider.

I'm also debating trying to wind my own pickups. I'm a electrical engineering major and I'm definitely competent enough with electronics to give it a shot. I guess I'm just afraid of putting all of the work into building the pickups and having them sound like sh*t. Are there any companies that sell kits and/ or parts for making your own?

there is a lot more to it than you think. they will likely sound like shit.

there is a science to pickups. number of winds, gauge of the wire, type of magnet, wax potting or not. all of those can make a great pickup and more likely a shitty one if you don't know what you are doing.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
Old 12-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #32
saxman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
there is a lot more to it than you think. they will likely sound like shit.

there is a science to pickups. number of winds, gauge of the wire, type of magnet, wax potting or not. all of those can make a great pickup and more likely a shitty one if you don't know what you are doing.

Ok. Yeah... I did some research after I posted that and came to the same conclusion. Besides, I don't have a pickup winder and there's no way I'm about to sit down and wind 4 coils with 5,000+ wraps by hand. That's definitely not worth it.

I guess I've narrowed it down to a small handful of pickups. It's mostly between the SD Distortion and DM D Activator for the bridge pickup. I'm still toying with the idea of the Crunch Lab Liquifire combo. Regardless, I think a Liquifire will be going in the neck.

For those who have tried those pickups, am I right in assuming that the D Activator and Duncan Distortion sound pretty close to the same, but the Duncan Distortion has a little bit beefier low end and the Crunch lab is a little more low end yet, but very tight and a little less present in the highs?

Last edited by saxman42 : 12-08-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #33
Nakon14
Breekachu

If you're willing to shell out some cash, Bareknuckle pickups are absolutely incredible. Crunchlab/Liquidfire is also a really solid combo you can't go wrong with.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #34
saxman42

I've heard nothing but great things about Bare Knuckles, but they're just so expensive. I want to try a couple of less expensive options first. I REALLY like the sound clips I've heard of the BK Cold Sweat, though.

Last edited by saxman42 : 12-08-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #35
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

FWIW, I'm planning on upgrading an old Dean with some Bareknuckles (a Stockholm and a Rebel Yell), I've used Lace pickups (Alumitones) for another past upgrade, and have been impressed by the sound of the Railhammers used in the Reverend Reeves Gabrels Sig II.

I also have liked the sound of the Golden Age pickups in one of my Jon Kammerer guitars- they deliver a classic HB sound that also sounds nice when split.

...but right now, I'm having a custom guitar built using a Tesla VR-Extreme HB and a pair of Tesla OPUS-S1 singlecoils. They sound great, and are reasonably priced.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-08-2012 at 06:35 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #36
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The BK Cold Sweat is more or less a SD Custom; if you fancy the idea of boutique pickups, try at-the-creamery.co.uk, he can wind you something unique just for you (a service BKP stopped a while back), he's cheaper and, since he's a smaller outfit and can pay more attention to each customer, you'll end up with a better product.

That said, though I have several sets of boutique, custom-wound pickups, at the end of the day if you can buy something off the shelf that does the same job just as well then you might as well go with that.

Quote:
What about the SD Screamin' Demon? Has anyone tried that one?
Yup. I found it to basically sound like a '59 with the EQ pushed just a little more towards the high-end; in a blind test I wouldn't be able to tell them apart. It's not really a 'metal' pickup; classic rock leads and hard rock rhythm is where it most comfortably sits. Many people liken it to a tamer, 'classic' version of the Full Shred (and DM Evo/Evo 2) and from my experience with it, I would agree with that.
Not a bad pickup by any means, I just don't know why anyone would use it. Lead metal players will prefer the Full Shred or Distortion, metal rhythm players would likely prefer the Custom or Distortion, and hard rock and classic rock players would probably be happiest with a plain '59 or Pearly Gates.

As far as the Crunch Lab goes, I've yet to hear it sound particularly good - to my ears - in any guitar or amp. It's pretty much a neutered SD Custom. Great if you want a fairly flat EQ and totally medium output, but I've yet to meet anybody who does. Of all the standard off-the-shelf pickups around, the Crunch Lab is pretty much the hardest one for me to recommend, perhaps equaled by the Humbucker From Hell and Dimebucker.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #37
saxman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
...but right now, I'm having a custom guitar built using a Tesla VR-Extreme HB and a pair of Tesla OPUS-S1 singlecoils. They sound great, and are reasonably priced.

Right now, I'm thinking the SD Distortion is the pickup for me. That said, I forgot about Tesla pickups. I almost put a set of their single coils in my home made guitar a while back. I need to check out their humbuckers.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #38
saxman42

I've been checking out the Tesla Opus 1. I think it sounds great. I'm not sure if I like it more than the SD Distortion, though. Has anyone had experience playing metal on any of the Tesla pickups?
Old 12-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #39
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:
I've been checking out the Tesla Opus 1. I think it sounds great. I'm not sure if I like it more than the SD Distortion, though. Has anyone had experience playing metal on any of the Tesla pickups?

search youtube. here is their YouTube channel. never played one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/teslapickups?feature=watch

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
VFE Pale Horse
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars

Last edited by trashedlostfdup : 12-09-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:58 AM   #40
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

I for one am very surprised nobody has recommended Bareknuckles yet.
The Aftermath is the tightest freaking pickup of all time. The more gain you throw at it, the clearer it gets. It's not forgiving at all, though.

Hm, might get some in active casings for my 7 at some point. I hate EMGs.
Charvel San Dimas Style 1 (MIJ) (JB/59)
Peavey 5150 II head (JJ tubes)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: