Haven't noticed. 60 53.57%
I'm one of "those people" 15 13.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #41
shavorules42
UG Board King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinator-x
ITT: Stupid, unnecessary, idiotic, metal elitism.

You forgot furries

And cup his balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
shavorules42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #42
Avedas
yoloswag420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Trust me, if I were to review albums, I'd be much worse. I'm already too over-critical of the songs that I write (which is why I never get shit done).

I have a friend who writes generic metalcore who always gets pissy whenever I give him my honest opinion on his music. It all sounds so bland and stamped out it's not funny, and it all follows what I call the modern-metal/metalcore "grid".

You seem to enjoy subjective facts.
Avedas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #43
Jon777
Assbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerpleaz

This is some pretty good djent.

~
Jon777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #44
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
...So then it's just two-string metal?
Yes. Except "Djent" sounds cooler. Like it sounds Russian or something, which gives it a factor of technical-ness, or something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedas
You seem to enjoy subjective facts.
Like I said, it's why I can never get shit done, music related.

I've thrown away so many songs I've written because of how stupid and generic they sound to my ears.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #45
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

Quote:
Yes. Except "Djent" sounds cooler. Like it sounds Russian or something, which gives it a factor of technical-ness, or something along those lines.

...Why not just call it metal?

This is one of the things that always bugged me about metal is that it seems like every single band has its own genre. For a subgenre, it has way too many subgenres of bands that sound ridiculously similar to anyone but diehard fans.

Baltimore Orioles: 96-66, 2014 AL Eastern division champions
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 5-2
2014 Pick 'Em: 67-38-1
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #46
AmalgamOfMeat
Naw

Bro.

Calm down.
AmalgamOfMeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #47
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Now I understand "Screamo" actually is an actual genre, but it's really annoying that the term has been used for idiots to describe harshly-sung music. Like some dumb bitch I dealt with a few weeks ago who heard Opeth and said "OMG THIS IS SOOO SCREAMO LOLOLL!!".

This is why I don't like you.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #48
Enix165
He's such a psycho!~

All I know is, my opinion and everyone I know in person's on "djent" is the same as our opinion on modern "prog metal"(Periphery, BTBAM, Protest The Hero, Corelia, Scale The Summit etc. etc.). I don't like it and everyone else is completely obsessed. Sorta nice if they'd differentiate it from 80s prog metal like Savatage and Crimson Glory though. Little bit of a difference between Savatage and Periphery...JUUUUUUUUUUUUST a little.
Enix165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #49
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
...Why not just call it metal?

This is one of the things that always bugged me about metal is that it seems like every single band has its own genre. For a subgenre, it has way too many subgenres of bands that sound ridiculously similar to anyone but diehard fans.

It can't just be called 'metal' because there are millions of bands that fall under that category. You've got to have some kind of organization in a genre otherwise nobody would ever find what kind of metal they are looking for.

Djent seems to be becoming more and more of a genre in it's own right these days, not strictly because of the music, but because of fans who want to see a certain style as being special. I think that the more Djent bands are out there, the more evident the differences will become though, so it may well become a legit genre in it's own right. Not calling it a genre now is too early days, Djent has only been recognized in the metal underground as a genre very, very recently.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-05-2012 at 09:46 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #50
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:

Like I said, it's why I can never get shit done, music related.

I've thrown away so many songs I've written because of how stupid and generic they sound to my ears.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you were one of the creepy, obnoxious metal head kids in school, not the quiet, shoot-up-the-school type, but the annoying type that tells people who listen to hip-hop/pop/anything that isn't metal that they have bad taste in music, the type that everyone hates.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #51
Gerard_xD
-

I <3 djent bands w/ screamo vocals like Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin.

Gerard_xD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #52
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

I'm gonna just leave this here...

Djent is NOT a genre.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 12-05-2012 at 09:56 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #53
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard_xD
I <3 djent bands w/ screamo vocals like Whitechapel and Chelsea Grin.

This is progressive, djent screamo.

edit: ^ Screamo is a genre, silly. It's emo w/ screamed (not growled or guttural, literally yelled/screamed) vocals.

Last edited by Saint78 : 12-05-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Saint78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #54
brownshirt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint78
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you were one of the creepy, obnoxious metal head kids in school, not the quiet, shoot-up-the-school type, but the annoying type that tells people who listen to hip-hop/pop/anything that isn't metal that they have bad taste in music, the type that everyone hates.

Such trivial shit TS, why you mad?
brownshirt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #55
Burgery
scatterbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
I'm gonna just leave this here...

Djent is NOT a genre.

yes it is
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #56
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Worse than that, unfortunately. Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

Me, I'd simply laugh in the faces of anyone who tried to show me the "AWESOME" new song by some generic generic-core bands and claim how "amazing" the musicianship was, when it all just consisted of the same generic progressions and structures of everything else you hear today in modern metal/metalcore. Minus my freshmen year, as I was into Metalcore for a bit. Then got tired of it. Quick.

And I'd laugh even harder when they'd be totally clueless and oblivious when I'd mention a blues guitarist like SRV, or if I would I'd try to mention some older Classic/Founding bands, like Zeppelin or Cream.

For real, it's amazing how many of those kids have no fucking clue who Clapton, Page, or Hendrix is. Metal wouldn't even be an OBJECT if it weren't for these guys. But hey, "DAT AWESOME NEW TRACK BY KSE! YOU GOTTA HEAR IT!" That's all that went through their minds.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #57
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgery
yes it is

Click the link, ya dildo...

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #58
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Worse than that, unfortunately. Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

Me, I'd simply laugh in the faces of anyone who tried to show me the "AWESOME" new song by some generic generic-core bands and claim how "amazing" the musicianship was, when it all just consisted of the same generic progressions and structures of everything else you hear today in modern metal/metalcore. Minus my freshmen year, as I was into Metalcore for a bit. Then got tired of it. Quick.

And I'd laugh even harder when they'd be totally clueless and oblivious when I'd mention a blues guitarist like SRV, or if I would I'd try to mention some older Classic/Founding bands, like Zeppelin or Cream.

For real, it's amazing how many of those kids have no fucking clue who Clapton, Page, or Hendrix is. Metal wouldn't even be an OBJECT if it weren't for these guys. But hey, "DAT AWESOME NEW TRACK BY KSE! YOU GOTTA HEAR IT!" That's all that went through their minds.

I think you just proved me more right than I hoped you would. Thanks, I guess.

Quote:
Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

This is my favorite part.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #59
Avedas
yoloswag420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enix165
All I know is, my opinion and everyone I know in person's on "djent" is the same as our opinion on modern "prog metal"(Periphery, BTBAM, Protest The Hero, Corelia, Scale The Summit etc. etc.). I don't like it and everyone else is completely obsessed. Sorta nice if they'd differentiate it from 80s prog metal like Savatage and Crimson Glory though. Little bit of a difference between Savatage and Periphery...JUUUUUUUUUUUUST a little.

Oh god you're just as bad.
Quote:

lol, this. Hip hop is great and so is pop. There's a lot of musicianship to be found in both genres but I guess if some metalhead moron doesn't want to find it he certainly will not. It's funny because a lot of metal bands have songs that are little more than power chord progressions and people like TS would still swoon over the exceptional musicianship.
Quote:

James Clerk Maxwell formed the basis of a lot of what I study and work on and I know next to nothing about him. However, it doesn't hinder my understanding or enjoyment. In short, it doesn't matter and nobody cares. I have about as much respect for you as I do for the average historian who thinks he's smarter than everyone else.
Quote:
This is my favorite part.

Me too.
Avedas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #60
Burgery
scatterbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Click the link, ya dildo...

i did

still think djent is a genre. a sub-genre of metal of course, but still a genre.
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: