Haven't noticed. 60 53.57%
I'm one of "those people" 15 13.39%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #61
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avedas
lol, this. Hip hop is great and so is pop. There's a lot of musicianship to be found in both genres but I guess if some metalhead moron doesn't want to find it he certainly will not. It's funny because a lot of metal bands have songs that are little more than power chord progressions and people like TS would still swoon over the exceptional musicianship.

I agree 100%
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #62
MinterMan22
kulinary gangsta

what a stupid name for a genre.. djent
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #63
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Worse than that, unfortunately. Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

Me, I'd simply laugh in the faces of anyone who tried to show me the "AWESOME" new song by some generic generic-core bands and claim how "amazing" the musicianship was, when it all just consisted of the same generic progressions and structures of everything else you hear today in modern metal/metalcore. Minus my freshmen year, as I was into Metalcore for a bit. Then got tired of it. Quick.

And I'd laugh even harder when they'd be totally clueless and oblivious when I'd mention a blues guitarist like SRV, or if I would I'd try to mention some older Classic/Founding bands, like Zeppelin or Cream.

For real, it's amazing how many of those kids have no fucking clue who Clapton, Page, or Hendrix is. Metal wouldn't even be an OBJECT if it weren't for these guys. But hey, "DAT AWESOME NEW TRACK BY KSE! YOU GOTTA HEAR IT!" That's all that went through their minds.

I hold the opinion that Killswitch Engage > Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest. Wanna fight about t?

OT: I've never heard anyone mention Djent in person, let alone label it something it 100% is not. That's a very hard thing to do, given that the label only fits on a very limited set of modern Metal music that doesn't go anywhere else.

Now some, like in this thread, would mention how it's part of "Progressive Metal", but this is silly since the general aesthetic of "prog metal" is more akin Dream Theater than it is to Meshuggah. I will admit, however, that I have qualms with the label "Progressive Metal" being a sub-genre in and of itself, but I digress.

Djent is a niche of Metal music that caters to people who love polyrhythyms, catchy riffs, and Meshuggah.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #64
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
what a stupid name for a genre.. djent

It sounds like a strange, Swedish cereal.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #65
Eastwinn
pulling empty hall alarms

ts are you serious or what? come on.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #66
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Worse than that, unfortunately. Though I didn't tell people who listened to rap/whatever they were wrong, just make the assumption they were tone-deaf idiots and move along.

Me, I'd simply laugh in the faces of anyone who tried to show me the "AWESOME" new song by some generic generic-core bands and claim how "amazing" the musicianship was, when it all just consisted of the same generic progressions and structures of everything else you hear today in modern metal/metalcore. Minus my freshmen year, as I was into Metalcore for a bit. Then got tired of it. Quick.

And I'd laugh even harder when they'd be totally clueless and oblivious when I'd mention a blues guitarist like SRV, or if I would I'd try to mention some older Classic/Founding bands, like Zeppelin or Cream.

For real, it's amazing how many of those kids have no fucking clue who Clapton, Page, or Hendrix is. Metal wouldn't even be an OBJECT if it weren't for these guys. But hey, "DAT AWESOME NEW TRACK BY KSE! YOU GOTTA HEAR IT!" That's all that went through their minds.

Come on, man. You are being kinda silly.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #67
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint78
I think you just proved me more right than I hoped you would. Thanks, I guess.
Aside from focusing on a completely different principle than what you described. You described the stereotypical "HAIL SATAN! DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!" kid. I'm not that. Subjectively worse, but certainly not that.

In my opinion, if one don't know jack shit about what they are listening to or has no respect for the far, far superior genres of classic rock and blues, the genres that established it all, I'm just going to assume you're an immature little cunt who's only listening to heavy and aggressive music to set an image.

And you know them when you see them: always wearing all black, baggy black pants with chains, have greasy, un-maintained, unmanaged long hair they wear in their faces, eyeliner, and they all play B.C. Rich Warlocks and Line 6 Spiders and post gay ass Facebook statuses such as "Music is my life" and "Play till fingers bleed" when they can only play All That Remains and A7X songs at 1/4 tempo that they learned strictly from UG tabs.

I made a guy get all pissy off and storm out of the room the other day from expressing beliefs similar to this. I just sat there with a smirk on my face and thought to myself "don't worry, you'll mature eventually."

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Come on, man. You are being kinda silly.
You know me man, I'm a dick. I can't help it.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 12-05-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:36 PM   #68
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Aside from focusing on a completely different principle than what you described. You described the stereotypical "HAIL SATAN! DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!" kid. I'm not that. Subjectively worse, but certainly not that.

No. That is not what I was describing. I was describing the metal head that throws his obnoxious opinions into others' faces.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #69
Burgery
scatterbrain

Quote:
I made a guy get all pissy off and storm out of the room the other day from expressing beliefs similar to this. I just sat there with a smirk on my face and thought to myself "don't worry, you'll mature eventually."

bro
Burgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #70
Eastwinn

Quote:
In my opinion, if one don't know jack shit about what they are listening to or has no respect for the far, far superior genres of classic rock and blues, the genres that established it all, I'm just going to assume you're an immature little cunt who's only listening to heavy and aggressive music to set an image.

quick, who invented the guitar? no google allowed.

don't know? yeah, you're just trying to "set an image"
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #71
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
No. That is not what I was describing. I was describing the metal head that throws his obnoxious opinions into others' faces.
But can that not apply to any genre fan? I've heard that Jazz elitists are 10x worse, except that they're right in their opinion, because jazz actually is musically superior. As a metal listener I'm not afraid to admit this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwinn
quick, who invented the guitar? no google allowed.

don't know? yeah, you're just trying to "set an image"
Fuck, I used to know this. I know it can be traced back to the Lute, but that's about it. And I know it evolved from there.

Last edited by Ian_the_fox : 12-05-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #72
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
But can that not apply to any genre fan? I've heard that Jazz elitists are 10x worse, except that they're right in their opinion, because jazz actually is musically superior. As a metal listener I'm not afraid to admit this.

They aren't worse because they are practically nonexistent in the real world.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #73
Eastwinn

Quote:
Fuck, I used to know this. I know it can be traced back to the Lute, but that's about it. And I know it evolved from there.

how can you even claim to like rock music, including metal music, if you don't know the history of the instrument that drives it home? immature, if you ask me.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #74
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:

Oh hell no, not this "musically superior" shit again.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #75
Hungryformore21
And God bless you all

I thought djent was just a guitar tone for metal
Hungryformore21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #76
Avedas
yoloswag420

Quote:

And you know them when you see them: always wearing all black, baggy black pants with chains, have greasy, un-maintained, unmanaged long hair they wear in their faces, eyeliner, and they all play B.C. Rich Warlocks and Line 6 Spiders and post gay ass Facebook statuses such as "Music is my life" and "Play till fingers bleed" when they can only play All That Remains and A7X songs at 1/4 tempo that they learned strictly from UG tabs.

You know me man, I'm a dick. I can't help it.

Oh Lawdy, the irony

actually scratch that, TS has to be trolling at this point.

Last edited by Avedas : 12-05-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Avedas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #77
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
They aren't worse because they are practically nonexistent in the real world.
You don't get out much, do you?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #78
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
You don't get out much, do you?

What? You made no sense there. Jazz elitists exist on internet forums. They don't walk around in suits and cool hats while smoking reefer and spouting off their opinions about jazz.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #79
Jako215
UG's Fat Frendo

Code:
|-------------------1|------------------------------------------------| |-8-6--4-2--1-1--1--1|---9-8-6-----------------------------------6---6| |-5-5--5-3--1-3--3--1|---------5-----5-6-8-5-------------5---5-7---8--| |-6-6--3-3--2-2--2--3|-----------6-8---------6-------5-7---8----------| |------4----3-3--3--3|-------------------------7---8------------------| |-------------------1v---------------------------8--------------------| |---6----------------------------------------------8-12--15p13--------| |-8---9-7-6------------------------9------8------9-------------13-----| |-----------8-6----------------------9-------9h10-----------------13--| |---------------6-8-9---11-8-9-10------10-----------------------------| |---------------------------------------------------------------------| |---------------------------------------------------------------------|

Code:
|-0~---0--0---------------0-----------0------0--------0-----------0------| |-10~--10-12-12-------------12\--7~-7-7-7--7-7-7------0-------------4----| |-13~--13-13-13--------13--------8~-8-8-8--8-8-8--4-4-4-4-------2-----2--| |-11~--11-11-11-----11-----------6~-6---6--6---6--2-2---2-4---4----------| |-0~---0--0--9--999--------------4~-4---4--4---4--0-0---0-4-4------------| |---------------------------------------------------------4--------------| |--------------------5-----0-|-0~---12--------------------0-----------0---| |-----5------4---------9-----|-10~-----10----12--------12--------7~-7-7-7-| |-----4------4--6/7------6---|-13~-----------13-------------13\--8~-8-8-8-| |-4h6-6--6-6-6---------------|-11~--------11-11-----11-----------6~-6---6-| |-4---4--4-4-4---------------|-0~------------9--999--------------4~-4---4-| |----------------------------|--------------------------------------------| |---0--------0-----------0-------------------4-------4------| |-7-7-7------0-------------4-------5------4----4h5-7---7p0--| |-8-8-8--4-4-4-4-------2-----2-----4------4-----------------| |-6---6--2-2---2-4---4---------4h6-6--6-6-6-----------------| |-4---4--0-0---0-4-4-----------4---4--4-4-4-----------------| |----------------4------------------------------------------|

Ok, which one's the Jazz and which one's the Djent?
Stupid ass musical superiority arguments.

Only Ian can answer. Or anybody that seriously doesn't know.

iSupport the Philadelphia Eagles, Phillies, Flyers, Union, and Sixers.
Dallas Sucks!

Jako215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #80
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Ian, are you trolling?

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: