Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Is Hydra150 the most annoying poster in the Anime Thread?
No, there are Anime Thread posters who are more annoying than Hydra150. 30 55.56%
Yes, Hydra150 is the most annoying user who has posted in the Anime Thread. 24 44.44%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #81
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Maybe you should just watch the video lol.

Anyways, it's a largely US problem. Boston and NYC (Manhattan anyway) got it right. That is to say they're on par with developed places in other countries. That's kind of sad.

Fine!
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #82
Thrashtastic15
UG Senior Member
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Club Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot5678
If I want safe and quiet I'll live in a rural town (I don't mean a random house in the middle of no where just so we're clear). Suburbs are detrimental to society and capture the true essence of neither urban or rural environments. Really they're just sad and lonely (although they are safe).

Ha, not at all pal.

The suburbs aren't attempting to capture the "true" essence of urban or rural environments. That isn't a fault against them. They capture all of the positives of urban life (nightlife, entertainment options, shopping, etc etc etc) while removing all of the negative aspects over residing in the city 24/7. I can get smack dab in the middle of Toronto in 45 minutes from my parents house taking the train. However my parents house is in the second or third safest city in all of Canada, is incredibly clean, streets clearly laid out and easy to navigate, much prettier and homelier, and retains many of the aspects that make rural towns attractive. The schools are far, far better and more convenient and I can be sitting in a forest looking at a glistening lake in a 20 minute drive from my parents house.

The commute isn't even a pain because more and more companies have large offices outside of Toronto itself in areas such as Mississauga making the commute much, much easier on people. My mom has that circumstance.

But okay.
__________________
Huberdeau Barkov Ekblad
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #83
guitarxo
cat
 
guitarxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cat
I wouldn't mind living in HK just for the food omg but I don't think I'd get a job there, life there seems even more competitive than it is here (which is saying something), and I don't like the sound of canto and it seems shitty to live somewhere because you like it but not bother to learn the language. I would love to visit soon though. it looks really pretty (both the city and nature areas)

as for suburbs, can't say much since I've never lived in one, only visited family who live in them, but I feel very uncomfortable if I'm not in a city where stuff is happening all the time or an extremely secluded quiet part of nature. I guess suburbs aren't exactly boring but I'm probably just used to constant activity or something. I don't want to travel for more than 20 minutes to get somewhere to do stuff and if I do, it has to be a really special thing. There is no excuse for me to be bored here and I like that. As for safety, why can't we just make the cities safer rather than relying on suburbs :/
__________________
cat

Last edited by guitarxo : 12-06-2012 at 12:00 AM.
guitarxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #84
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Yea, I turned it off

That's guy head was so far up his own asshole I'm surprised he could breathe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
show
Yea.

Sounds about the same as where I live though maybe a tad richer.

Last edited by WCPhils : 12-05-2012 at 11:55 PM.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #85
Xiaoxi
Indeed.
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
They capture all of the positives of urban life (nightlife, entertainment options, shopping, etc etc etc)

Almost every suburban "plaza" center I've encountered feels extremely artificial. They don't have the real tenacity or value of the urban equivalent. Not to mention they are almost always comprised solely of mediocre chains.

Where I live now meets and probably exceeds all of the pros you just listed. It's still suffocatingly spare and artificial.
__________________
"Man, modes 'n' scales ain't got no users, only abusers." - X.X. Little

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #86
Thrashtastic15
UG Senior Member
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Club Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
I guess because they don't encourage a sense of community, people often don't mingle with their neighbours.

There's plenty of community. I exchanged baked goods with my neighbours when they moved in/throughout the Holiday season, look after each others plants/newspapers/animals when they are away on vacation, say hi and chat when you walk past them, let them know if their hose is leaking or something, etc etc. Even shovel the driveway/rake leaves for the older folk who have trouble for whatever reason rather than having them pay for someone to do it.

The suburbs aren't the cause of people being unkind. Your culture is.

^ you have the benefits of the city because the city is connected to the suburb. I can take the train and be in the smac kdab of downtown Toronto in 40-45 minutes making all station stops. idiot.
__________________
Huberdeau Barkov Ekblad
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #87
bradulator
through being cool
 
bradulator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I'd go to Costa Rica because it's the most badass of all the countries. And they abolished their military in like 1948 or something like that! Talk about badass.
bradulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #88
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
^ you have the benefits of the city because the city is connected to the suburb. I can take the train and be in the smac kdab of downtown Toronto in 40-45 minutes making all station stops. idiot.

Exactly

If I lived in the city it would take me just as long to walk anywhere anyway.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #89
Xiaoxi
Indeed.
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
Being near and being immersed in are two completely different experiences. I've lived in both in substantial time to know that.
__________________
"Man, modes 'n' scales ain't got no users, only abusers." - X.X. Little

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #90
Thrashtastic15
UG Senior Member
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Club Red
btw i live in the city now and have lived in the city lol so dont even try that pal being immersed has negatives associated with being in the city its not a ****ing positive
__________________
Huberdeau Barkov Ekblad

Last edited by Thrashtastic15 : 12-05-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #91
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
I don't live in the city but I'm there for about 8-10 (or more) hours everyday for school.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #92
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
More than that, there is no culture or activity. Think of the worst of American suburbia in the midwest. What's the image? Obese Christian conservatives without any sense of culture or intellect. Place has a big role in harboring all of these issues.

Indeed.

quoting just because you edited it in and some may have missed and i found it interesting
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #93
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo
 
slipknot5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
There is no train where I live. Where I used to live there was a bus and the train station was an hour walk away. Not coincidentally, that suburb was better than the one I live in now, despite not being near as rich or clean. My main point is that better urban planning makes for a better environment. If we focused our energy into improving the cities to be cleaner and more sustainable while representing our culture it would be better than just building more spread out shit wherever we feel like.

show

Or at best this:
show


Edit: And of course the city isn't all positives.

Last edited by slipknot5678 : 12-06-2012 at 12:05 AM.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #94
raoooos
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Scotland
Ha, shit got derailed.
__________________
raoooos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #95
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
I can get smack dab in the middle of Toronto in 45 minutes from my parents house taking the train. However my parents house is in the second or third most boring city in all of Canada.

Made that paragraph a bit more concise for ya, bro. You're welcome.
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #96
Xiaoxi
Indeed.
 
Xiaoxi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bodymore, Murdaland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
btw i live in the city now and have lived in the city lol so dont even try that pal being immersed has negatives associated with being in the city its not a ****ing positive

Clealiness depends on the city. It's not automatically dirty. Places like HK, Singapore, most Aus cities, Boston, and smaller cities are pretty clean.

Good urban planning also create centers for nature, if you're into that.

Not relying on a car does wonders for health and well being. The city population generally has a much lower obesity rate and higher levels of education.

Despite what you say about easily getting to Toronto in 45 minutes (that's actually kind of shit by my standards), this is often not the case in many suburbs. Residents of many suburbs have a vested interest in not developing easy to access public transportation for fear that minorities will come in and cheapen their real estate value. True story.

Crime rate also depends on the city. But for many years now, the center of illegal drug manufacturing has been in American suburbs.
__________________
"Man, modes 'n' scales ain't got no users, only abusers." - X.X. Little

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 12-06-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #97
Thrashtastic15
UG Senior Member
 
Thrashtastic15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Club Red
Burlington's "downtown" is a just a slightly more "old timey" attempted area w/ a theatre, a bunch of stores, and a few random little art places, museums, and ofc city hall, and a sweet park thats awesome to chill at and gets some pretty solid free events every year.



Too big to [img]

Can't really get any good pictures of the rest because it's much more cramped streets than anywhere else and it's pretty well concealed by all of the trees. But it's certainly not a bloody Wal Mart. Maybe you shouldn't paint your shitty, cheap, poor suburbs in with respectable ones.
__________________
Huberdeau Barkov Ekblad
Thrashtastic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #98
guitarxo
cat
 
guitarxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: cat
^not necessarily poor, just poorly planned
__________________
cat
guitarxo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #99
WCPhils
Banned
 
WCPhils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
*post*
Yea, we have places like that. Though without the water and everything.

And we also have shopping center with Targets and Walmarts

I don't see how that's much different than the city.

Philly has one or two strips of nice old shopping center and everything and then everything else is just Targets and Walmarts except in the city and shittier and seedier. But that could just be because it's Philly.
WCPhils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #100
slipknot5678
Cockblockatoo
 
slipknot5678's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtastic15
Burlington's "downtown" is a just a slightly more "old timey" attempted area w/ a theatre, a bunch of stores, and a few random little art places, museums, and ofc city hall, and a sweet park thats awesome to chill at and gets some pretty solid free events every year.



Too big to [img]

Can't really get any good pictures of the rest because it's much more cramped streets than anywhere else and it's pretty well concealed by all of the trees. But it's certainly not a bloody Wal Mart. Maybe you shouldn't paint your shitty, cheap, poor suburbs in with respectable ones.


Based on a quick search on Burlington, it seems like one of the better ones and to me is almost structured more like a small city than a standard suburb. I won't pretend I know more than you though.

With that said, in my experience the shitty, cheap, poor suburbs outnumber the respectable ones. Especially if you've ever been to the central United States.
slipknot5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.