Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
zatara92

strat to les paul to strat

Hi. I'm from Malaysia. I've been playing guitar for 6 years off and on. I never really made much progress during my first 5 years of playing. My guitar is a Squier Strat. I could only ever play bits and pieces of riffs or solos here and there. I play metal almost exclusively

In my 6th year of playing (this year), I went overseas to study (in Sydney). I bought myself a second hand LTD EC-400. This year I feel like I've progressed quite a bit in guitar. I managed to learn how to play Aces High by Iron Maiden almost perfectly! I've only ever dreamed of being able to play a song like that. I know its not that hard a song, but its a big leap for me. Things just started feeling more fun to play and I felt like my technique was improving. I found myself learning some of my favourite Metallica, Megadeth, Priest and Iced Earth songs and it felt great.

Now I'm not saying I'm really good, all I'm saying is that i've improved to a point where I feel confident I can tackle intermediate metal songs.

I just got back home, but I didnt bring my LTD with me. Playing my Squier after a year, it felt very foreign in my hands. I cant seem to play anything without a shit ton of mistakes on my Squier. Playing Aces High seems so difficult now! fast hammer ons and pull offs never seem to be audible.

Is this because of the difference in neck length? Is this because my Squier is a bad guitar? Or am I still shit?

Please help, my confidence has really hit a low point
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
JustRooster
Organ Donor

You got used to the neck on the LTD, and now the neck on your Squier seems very different, probably more thin and less responsive. Your LTD also probably had shorter frets, which would explain your hammer ons/offs.

You just gotta get used to the new guitar, bud. You'll get it back with some practice.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

jumping between 24.75 and 25.5 scales, is imo confusing. i just got my first 24.75 scale guitar (ltd ec 256) and hell I cant play any leads past the 12th fret on it like i do with my other 2 guitars. block inlays on the ec 400 may also confuse a bit when compared to the squire dots. it might just take a few days getting used to your squier again.

also something to correct. dude above me said ltd has shorter frets. not exactly true. ltd 400 has XJ frets, and im quite positive most squire strats have medium jumbo frets, which are shorter. possibly the reason fast hammer ons arent as easy and audible is because of the shorter frets and higher string tension on the squier.

a NGD is mostly always a confidence booster and an upgrade from a crap guitar(if your squire is crap) to a better guitar is always a good thing.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

Take your guitar to a tech and have it set-up to your liking.

I regularly play Gibsons and Epis with 24.5 scales then PRS with 25 and then Tele's with 25.5 scale its all in your mind.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustapr
jumping between 24.75 and 25.5 scales, is imo confusing. i just got my first 24.75 scale guitar (ltd ec 256) and hell I cant play any leads past the 12th fret on it like i do with my other 2 guitars. block inlays on the ec 400 may also confuse a bit when compared to the squire dots. it might just take a few days getting used to your squier again.

also something to correct. dude above me said ltd has shorter frets. not exactly true. ltd 400 has XJ frets, and im quite positive most squire strats have medium jumbo frets, which are shorter. possibly the reason fast hammer ons arent as easy and audible is because of the shorter frets and higher string tension on the squier.

a NGD is mostly always a confidence booster and an upgrade from a crap guitar(if your squire is crap) to a better guitar is always a good thing.

Good catch. Guess I'm not familiar with the 400's. I had an EC-1000 that I thought the frets felt rather short on. Maybe that's just me, though.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: