Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Just a start. C4C

Hey guys. I wrote something and I quite like it. This would be an early draft of a chorus with a solo over it.

I'm having some trouble getting other parts to fit into it. But that's not so much the issue.

I'm more thinking about whether or not it's a bit too easy listening, I think I can mess around with it enough and mix it up with some crazy lyrics to juxtapose it to compensate.

I guess that because it's a lot lighter and more focused on major scale stuff than what I would normally write that I'm a little bit unsure.

What do you guys think of the recording, mix quality as well as the sound of the actual song?

Thanks.

WILL C4C!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:

Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
GibsonJR
Hi.

Hey Mephaphil. Thank you for the critique, especially considering the music wasn't your style.

The mix sounds really nice right off the bat. Is that easy drummer? Or just a really well recorded drum set loop, either way it sounds great. I wouldn't worry about it being too easy listening, but that's just my opinion. You could always take those chords and change the rhythm or instrumentation so that the choruses are more energetic and have the solo be nice and soft. Just an idea!

As I said I like the mix a lot. The only criticism I can really think of would be concerning the sonic image of the guitars. I wish they were easier to differentiate from each other. You and me can hear them separately but the everyday listener might not be able to. You could maybe have one panned a little to the left and the other a little to the right, or EQ them differently.

Overall it sounds very nice and makes me want to learn scales

Edit: Oh and you should add bassssssss
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
crazyflamey

Hey Mephaphil..

The song sounds relaxing, it is a bit short though, but nice jam definitly !
crazyflamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
HaveSomeGlue

I like it overall. It sounds really smooth. The drum part is really good, is it a real drummer or is it a machine? Anyways, I like the lead part, its pretty catchy but I feel like in the beginning the rhythm of it is off in some areas. The rhythm guitar part is very strong, and I like the small scales you incorporate into it between transitions, that sound good. The only thing I would recommend is adding bass, that would add a lot too the sound. Maybe like a slapping part or a syncopated part. Either way, good job, and I'd like to see this song finished.
If you would be so kind as to listen to my EP here that would be lovely.
HaveSomeGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
YgO
Registered Riffer

Quite like it too. It's kind of got a mix of blues, jazz, country and rock. Very cool. I can hear some vocals coming in at the 30 second mark, something similar to the style used on your "In My Head" song would be good, but of course, fitting the slower feel of this one. I'm sure you'd make it a longer version once that's added. Nice work! It's not really finished enough to come up with anything negative at this point other than too short and adding vocals.

Also, C4C please: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1576193

Thanks.
YgO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
higgycr

Loving the mix straight from the start. really enjoyed the song, even though is slow and quite laid back that can be sometimes just what is needed.
only criticism i have is the guitar tone, i think a slight bit of dirt might make it sound more interesting, but that's just me.

c4c ? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1576314
higgycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonJR
Hey Mephaphil. Thank you for the critique, especially considering the music wasn't your style.

The mix sounds really nice right off the bat. Is that easy drummer? Or just a really well recorded drum set loop, either way it sounds great. I wouldn't worry about it being too easy listening, but that's just my opinion. You could always take those chords and change the rhythm or instrumentation so that the choruses are more energetic and have the solo be nice and soft. Just an idea!

As I said I like the mix a lot. The only criticism I can really think of would be concerning the sonic image of the guitars. I wish they were easier to differentiate from each other. You and me can hear them separately but the everyday listener might not be able to. You could maybe have one panned a little to the left and the other a little to the right, or EQ them differently.

Overall it sounds very nice and makes me want to learn scales

Edit: Oh and you should add bassssssss

That's a good point about the panning, I am looking into that. I will add bass!

Quote:

Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveSomeGlue
I like it overall. It sounds really smooth. The drum part is really good, is it a real drummer or is it a machine? Anyways, I like the lead part, its pretty catchy but I feel like in the beginning the rhythm of it is off in some areas. The rhythm guitar part is very strong, and I like the small scales you incorporate into it between transitions, that sound good. The only thing I would recommend is adding bass, that would add a lot too the sound. Maybe like a slapping part or a syncopated part. Either way, good job, and I'd like to see this song finished.

Hey, I'm using easy drummer. I love that program.

What I done was I recorded the rhythm part once, looped it and done the same with the lead.

I don't hear anything wrong with the rhythm and if there was something off it would be off through the whole lot, and I don't hear it. But I'm working on the whole song so it won't be an issue.

Thanks!

Quote:

Rate This Thread: