Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Just a start. C4C

Hey guys. I wrote something and I quite like it. This would be an early draft of a chorus with a solo over it.

I'm having some trouble getting other parts to fit into it. But that's not so much the issue.

I'm more thinking about whether or not it's a bit too easy listening, I think I can mess around with it enough and mix it up with some crazy lyrics to juxtapose it to compensate.

I guess that because it's a lot lighter and more focused on major scale stuff than what I would normally write that I'm a little bit unsure.

What do you guys think of the recording, mix quality as well as the sound of the actual song?

Thanks.

WILL C4C!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
GibsonJR
Hi.
 
GibsonJR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NC
Hey Mephaphil. Thank you for the critique, especially considering the music wasn't your style.

The mix sounds really nice right off the bat. Is that easy drummer? Or just a really well recorded drum set loop, either way it sounds great. I wouldn't worry about it being too easy listening, but that's just my opinion. You could always take those chords and change the rhythm or instrumentation so that the choruses are more energetic and have the solo be nice and soft. Just an idea!

As I said I like the mix a lot. The only criticism I can really think of would be concerning the sonic image of the guitars. I wish they were easier to differentiate from each other. You and me can hear them separately but the everyday listener might not be able to. You could maybe have one panned a little to the left and the other a little to the right, or EQ them differently.

Overall it sounds very nice and makes me want to learn scales

Edit: Oh and you should add bassssssss
__________________
Check out my Vocal Tuning and Drum Quantization Services
GibsonJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
crazyflamey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Hey Mephaphil..

The song sounds relaxing, it is a bit short though, but nice jam definitly !
crazyflamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
HaveSomeGlue
Registered User
 
HaveSomeGlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I like it overall. It sounds really smooth. The drum part is really good, is it a real drummer or is it a machine? Anyways, I like the lead part, its pretty catchy but I feel like in the beginning the rhythm of it is off in some areas. The rhythm guitar part is very strong, and I like the small scales you incorporate into it between transitions, that sound good. The only thing I would recommend is adding bass, that would add a lot too the sound. Maybe like a slapping part or a syncopated part. Either way, good job, and I'd like to see this song finished.
__________________
Hi there.
Music on Facebook.
Music on Soundcloud.
If you would be so kind as to listen to my EP here that would be lovely.
HaveSomeGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
YgO
Registered Riffer
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off FM 666 in S. TX, USA
Quite like it too. It's kind of got a mix of blues, jazz, country and rock. Very cool. I can hear some vocals coming in at the 30 second mark, something similar to the style used on your "In My Head" song would be good, but of course, fitting the slower feel of this one. I'm sure you'd make it a longer version once that's added. Nice work! It's not really finished enough to come up with anything negative at this point other than too short and adding vocals.

Also, C4C please: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1576193

Thanks.
YgO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
higgycr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Loving the mix straight from the start. really enjoyed the song, even though is slow and quite laid back that can be sometimes just what is needed.
only criticism i have is the guitar tone, i think a slight bit of dirt might make it sound more interesting, but that's just me.

c4c ? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1576314
higgycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonJR
Hey Mephaphil. Thank you for the critique, especially considering the music wasn't your style.

The mix sounds really nice right off the bat. Is that easy drummer? Or just a really well recorded drum set loop, either way it sounds great. I wouldn't worry about it being too easy listening, but that's just my opinion. You could always take those chords and change the rhythm or instrumentation so that the choruses are more energetic and have the solo be nice and soft. Just an idea!

As I said I like the mix a lot. The only criticism I can really think of would be concerning the sonic image of the guitars. I wish they were easier to differentiate from each other. You and me can hear them separately but the everyday listener might not be able to. You could maybe have one panned a little to the left and the other a little to the right, or EQ them differently.

Overall it sounds very nice and makes me want to learn scales

Edit: Oh and you should add bassssssss


That's a good point about the panning, I am looking into that. I will add bass!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveSomeGlue
I like it overall. It sounds really smooth. The drum part is really good, is it a real drummer or is it a machine? Anyways, I like the lead part, its pretty catchy but I feel like in the beginning the rhythm of it is off in some areas. The rhythm guitar part is very strong, and I like the small scales you incorporate into it between transitions, that sound good. The only thing I would recommend is adding bass, that would add a lot too the sound. Maybe like a slapping part or a syncopated part. Either way, good job, and I'd like to see this song finished.


Hey, I'm using easy drummer. I love that program.

What I done was I recorded the rhythm part once, looped it and done the same with the lead.

I don't hear anything wrong with the rhythm and if there was something off it would be off through the whole lot, and I don't hear it. But I'm working on the whole song so it won't be an issue.

Thanks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.