Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
JoryL

New Pickups for an Ibanez Premium S Series Electric Guitar

Howdy, I bought an Ibanez Premium S Series guitar a few months ago, and I'm not very happy with the "thin and dull" sound I get from the stock pickups.. I had made a thread for my guitar's sound problems, and it was suggested that I make a "new pickups" thread. I suppose what I am looking for is a set of pickups (HSH) that would give me a "fuller/thicker" sound. I like to play a lot of Black Sabbath and Electric Wizard type music, and I am also interested in playing *some* shred music. I would also like to be able to get a bluesier, hendrix-y tone from the single coil positions. I realize that playing a super thin bodied Ibanez is not optimal for Electric Wizard and Sabbath, but I should be able to get closer to it than I am now once I buy new pickups.

Thanks in advance!
JoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Check out Tesla's website- they have a decent variety of pickups with sound samples. I'm using the OPUS-S1 singles for a custom guitar- very nice cleans.

http://www.teslapickups.com/

You might also check out Lace.

http://www.lacemusic.com/index.php

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-26-2012 at 08:36 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
JoryL

Thanks! I was looking at the Lace's. They seem nice. Do you, or does anyone else know about the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded set? I have a really beat up Jackson Rhoads with the same Neck pickup (the Jazz) and it's pretty good, but the sound will be totally different on the Ibanez (due to the Jackson's current poor condition).
JoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

I can't speak to the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded set in particular, but I do have some luthier-quality guitars with SDs of unknown type in them that I suspect are Hot Rods. They've been quite good to me, handling my preferred alternative tuning (CGDAEG) flawlessly. Good clarity & definition on both ends of the range, nothing too bright or tinny.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-27-2012 at 12:51 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
BlackIce87

Dimarzio.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
BlackIce87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoryL
Howdy, I bought an Ibanez Premium S Series guitar a few months ago, and I'm not very happy with the "thin and dull" sound I get from the stock pickups.. I had made a thread for my guitar's sound problems, and it was suggested that I make a "new pickups" thread. I suppose what I am looking for is a set of pickups (HSH) that would give me a "fuller/thicker" sound. I like to play a lot of Black Sabbath and Electric Wizard type music, and I am also interested in playing *some* shred music. I would also like to be able to get a bluesier, hendrix-y tone from the single coil positions. I realize that playing a super thin bodied Ibanez is not optimal for Electric Wizard and Sabbath, but I should be able to get closer to it than I am now once I buy new pickups.

Thanks in advance!

Fuller? Thicker? Sabbath? Shred? Still want to play bluesy stuff?

Pair of Dimarzio Breeds, ticks every box, maybe stick a true velvet in the middle.

Have a listen to the amp clips in my profile, that's a mahogany guitar with Breeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Doadman

The best pickups you can buy imho are Bare Knuckles. For the bridge position I'd look at the Warpig, the Miracle Man, the Holydiver or the Black Hawks. The Warpig is a brutally thick pickup and in Alnico V format is surprisingly versatile. The Miracle Man is one of my favourites as it gives you the broad tone of 80's Metal with the tightness of an active and plenty thickness. The Holydiver is the most versatile pickup I've ever owned and will cope well in any guitar for virtually any style. I use the Holydiver for most things in my band and we'll play stuff from Michael Jackson to Black Sabbath and Metallica. I've not tried the Black Hawk myself but they appear to be astonishingly versatile with all of the tightness of actives without any of the tonal limitations.

The neck pickup will depend on the bridge option you go for but I'd start by looking at the Emerald. That's my neck pickup of choice as it can play a very wide variety of styles, is highly articulate, has tone to die for and does a perfect Dave Murray shred. The Cold Sweat may be another good option for what you want.

For the middle position I'd say you need either a Sinner or a Trilogy Suite.

Bare Knuckles are expensive but you get what you pay for. I've tried Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio before but having now used a range of Bare Knuckles, I won't use anything else.
Mark Tremonti Wah & Carl Martin Quattro
Doadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
im_atheist
UG's Ibanez Expert

I have DiMarzio's in 3 of my 4 Ibanezs (haven't got round to the SA1260 yet but that'll have a PAF 36th Anniversary and Area 61's in). I love DiMarzios, drop them an email stating the construction of your guitar and your desired sound, they usually respond pretty quickly and offer the best to suit your needs

Ibanez SA1260
Ibanez RGA8 w/DiMarzio PAF8s
Ibanez JS1200CA
Ibanez S470IB w/DiMarzio Tonezone (Bridge)
Laney LC50 Mark II
Boss ME-70
im_atheist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: