Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
minieme007

Pickup Repair

So I've got this humbucker pickup from a guitar I got at a garage sale ages ago, and it wasn't working, so I thought I'd have a bit of a look inside. When I took off the back, I found that there were two wires, one coming from each coil, that were disconnected from the longer wire that comes out of it. I've got a picture attached, so you can see what I'm talking about. I'm guessing these should be soldered together, and these become the hot wire?

I'm also not entirely sure what the pickup is, but I know it's a Seymour Duncan, and I think it says 59N on a sticker on the back, does that mean it's a '59 neck pickup?

Any help is much appreciated

Actually, I can't upload the photo. If you need it to be sure I'll upload it elsewhere and link it here, but if you know what I'm talking about then it may not be necessary
minieme007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

If there are 2 wires, one is the hot wire, and the other is the ground. They shouldn't be soldered together.

And it sounds like a 59 neck to me, but idk for sure.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
minieme007

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
If there are 2 wires, one is the hot wire, and the other is the ground. They shouldn't be soldered together.

And it sounds like a 59 neck to me, but idk for sure.
I thought that might be the case, just confused me that each was coming from a coil. I'll upload the picture to see if you can tell me which is the ground.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
minieme007

Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Well with the way a humbucker works, the wire that comes from the inside of the coil is the ground, while the wire from the outside of the coil is the hot lead. If you can see the actual coils and the wires coming from them, then you can see which coil has the inner wire exposed, and that is the ground,

But I can't see that in your pic. So if I had to guess based on what I've seen in Duncan diagrams, I'd say that the wire coming from the coil with the adjustable pole pieces is the ground.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
minieme007

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look for some diagrams of this pickup in particular.

Rate This Thread: