Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Crimson_Eve
Beware of Sarcasm

Pre-Amp Tips For a Beginner

I picked up my first pre-amp from a guitar store the other day. My gear acquisition syndrome kicked in and I was helpless. I'm a sucker for a good deal. It is a BBE 381. I play through a 6505, and I also have a Crate G1500 which I just picked up last week from the same place. It is one of few SS amps I will with out a doubt say, hands down, ****ing killer. However I am a cave man of sorts when it comes to anything outside my guitar and amp. So like a kid with matches I wanna just go to town.... but I'm sure there are some cautionary words that I should heed before frying my 6505.

Where is a good place to start? Tube or SS? drive the amp? drive the pre? Crank them both? How will pedals affect my power levels? Could an OD or distortion hurt it if I drive them hard?

The Crate (obviously) blows away any clean sound MY 6505 has ever made...and I suspect this would be true for most. Do I a/b them and put the 381 in front of everything?

Man...I'm just not a techie when it comes to this stuff... Obviously I should start with my levels down, but I just dont know what to look for, or more importantly what to avoid.

Am I gonna need an attenuator? sounds expensive.... Shit. Help! Oh wisdom of UG...shine upon me...
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Crimson_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Oldmonkeys
- Also known as Matt

...what purpose are you trying to acheive with the preamp? because your peavy already has a preamp in it which is where all the gain comes from.

you could run it into the crate for potentially a nicer sound.

Because it sounds to me (& dont take this as an insult) that you just bought it for the sake of buying it, without understanding what its for.

Gretsch Setzer Hot Rod
Gretsch Power Jet
Fender Tele
Wizard Modern Classic
Vox Lil' Night Train
Hame 2x12

[- "Uncool Aussie" of the Pedalboard Thread -]
Oldmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson_Eve
I picked up my first pre-amp from a guitar store the other day. My gear acquisition syndrome kicked in and I was helpless. I'm a sucker for a good deal. It is a BBE 381. I play through a 6505, and I also have a Crate G1500 which I just picked up last week from the same place. It is one of few SS amps I will with out a doubt say, hands down, ****ing killer. However I am a cave man of sorts when it comes to anything outside my guitar and amp. So like a kid with matches I wanna just go to town.... but I'm sure there are some cautionary words that I should heed before frying my 6505.

Where is a good place to start? Tube or SS? drive the amp? drive the pre? Crank them both? How will pedals affect my power levels? Could an OD or distortion hurt it if I drive them hard?

Am I gonna need an attenuator? sounds expensive.... Shit. Help! Oh wisdom of UG...shine upon me...

well, you have two main choices to use this preamp

1) make the amp clean, and plug this right into the front of the amp. this will cascade the BBE into the amp's preamp

2) send it to the effects receive of your amp. this will bypass the amp's preamp and you'll just use the BBE

i am really not too sure why you got this unit, your 6505 should get you plenty of gain. did you just want another option for preamp tones?

nothing to caution you about, the preamp isn't going to blow up anything. there is some risk of it sounding bad if certain levels are set too high, but it won't hurt anything.

as far as configuration, no one will be able to tell you what you'll like so just try things out. it won't matter about chaining OD and distortion pedals with the preamp (those OD and distortion pedals are pretty much just preamps themselves).

that amp won't need any attenuation, your volume levels should be similar to your amp's normal output

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Crimson_Eve
Beware of Sarcasm

Yeah I didnt buy it because I need a pre-amp. The 6505's pre-amp makes me more than happy. I bought it to have an alternative to its disgusting cleans. I was thinking of it more as a chance to gain some versatility. My 6505's drive channel is all I could want and more. I mean to be honest...if it didnt have the sonic maximizer in it I wouldnt have bought it. Thats what I'm looking for. $50 bucks out the door, I had to. But you fella's are correct. No I did not need this thing. My friend and I have a habit of buying anything and everything. Then we put our gear in the same room...stare and smile for an hour then jam for 3 days. Essentially what I have learned is that this should be used to "color" my amps tone, and only slightly.

The 6505 has a very high end sound, what my former guitar teacher called "buzz saw". He isnt completely accurate but he isnt wrong either. I need the bottom end tightened up and maybe a bit more articulation at high gain levels. I'm seeking heavy tone without all the saturation. I seek fatter rhythms without being flabby on my neck P-up.

I'm not saying the 381 is at all a solution. Just a shiny new toy to play with. Thanks guys. I'm just gonna see what happens. Plus I dont have a good space to record in. So the direct outputs on the 381 at least will solve that, when the time comes.
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Crimson_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: