Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
krm27

Better tuning pegs & pick ups for Epiphone SG400?

I recently had my Epiphone SG400 professionally set up. The luthier told me a couple things.

First, he said the pick ups were underpowered. I'm wondering what a better option would be for pick ups.

Second, I noticed a buzz when I played open strings. He said it was due to cheap tuning pegs (?). I'm not 100% sure I believe him. A bit of internet research and I've found people saying this buzz can result from string being wound too high on pegs or not enough string wound around pegs. But then again, he's the luthier, so maybe he's right. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has opinion on whether my pegs need replacing and, if so, what would be best option for that.

Thanks,

Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
jeffo46

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm27
I recently had my Epiphone SG400 professionally set up. The luthier told me a couple things.

First, he said the pick ups were underpowered. I'm wondering what a better option would be for pick ups.

Second, I noticed a buzz when I played open strings. He said it was due to cheap tuning pegs (?). I'm not 100% sure I believe him. A bit of internet research and I've found people saying this buzz can result from string being wound too high on pegs or not enough string wound around pegs. But then again, he's the luthier, so maybe he's right. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has opinion on whether my pegs need replacing and, if so, what would be best option for that.

Thanks,

Ken

Your luthier's full of shit. Your Epi has grovers if I'm right, so how can those be bad tuners? Plus epiphone pickups are not that bad at all. It's how you adjust the pickups height that makes the guitar sound good. How long has your luthier been at his trade ? If he's one who works at Guitar Center, I would look elsewhere for another one. String buzz could be from having your string height too low. If your height isn't adjusted right, buzz will occur. I would deinately look for somebody else, preferably somebody with years of experience, to attend to your guitar needs.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

If your Epiphone was made in the last six years then the tuners are as good as regular, non-locking tuners can be. Epiphone change the hardware they use a lot, but over the last few years the tuners are one of the more consistent features; they've used nothing less than 16:1 tuners, and all of very sturdy design. In fact the tuners and the bridge are pretty much the two parts of a modern Epiphone that there is no reason to ever change. Even some Gibsons ship with worse tuners than the standard line of Epiphones.

As for buzzing, there are a number of reasons why open strings may buzz, but most are due to the bridge or nut; after the nut there's very little vibration, so the tuners can, in almost all cases, be discounted. It's far more likely that, if the buzzing seems to be coming from the headstock, chances are the nut slots have been cut too wide.

Now when it comes ot pickups, Epiphone's pickups aren't terribly good, but it is incredibly bizarre for a tech to simply tell you that pickups are "underpowered". I mean, that tells you nothing, other than that tech likes higher-output pickups. There is no such thing as an "underpowered" pickup, really, just "less output than I like". The stock pickups in a G400 are actually slightly overwound compared to most standard humbuckers. It'd be more reasonable to call them overpowered, by normal humbucker standards.

This sounds like a classic case of a ''luthier'' not actually knowing jack. Take your guitar elsewhere.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Dunkelheit-164

The only thing you would need is a new nut, in my opinion.
Graphtech ones are very nice and rather easy to install yourself. As for the pickups, take the pup covers off and screw them a bit higher. This will increase the clarity and output a bit more.
Dunkelheit-164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
A Tout Le Monde

It sounds like the luthier just wants to sell you something.
A Tout Le Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #6
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkelheit-164
As for the pickups, take the pup covers off and screw them a bit higher. This will increase the clarity and output a bit more.
Removing the covers will do nothing - modern covers aren't made of materials that can effect the tone - and raising the pickup, while increasing mid content (and therefore output) reduces clarity and responsiveness.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Dunkelheit-164

When I took the covers off in my Lp standard, the attack became a bit les muddy.
And I'm not saying raising pups increases clarity, I know it's the opposite, but I found a middle road that was more useable by combining these two.

Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 : 12-04-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Dunkelheit-164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
krm27

Thanks everyone, good advice.

Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
GOLDIE93

I had an issue with the tuners on mine making a buzzing noise, turned out to be that a few of the mounting screws weren't biting into the wood any more. The tuners themselves were fine. I put in slightly larger screws and that took care of it. I am not saying this is what's wrong with yours, but it is something to check out. Check to see if the mounting screws are tight. If they keep spinning then try larger screws or fill the holes with something so that the screws have something to bite into.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Jordan5150

How are those things? I always wanted to get one of the pros
Jordan5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
danvwman

Well I had a Epi SG400.....the pups suck, really bad

Actually the whole thing sucked. Sell it and buy that LTD sg or a Schecter
Old 12-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
TomMon
Sick of Smiths covers

Ditch the pickups, they're made for the Les Paul models and were far, far too dark and muddy for my tastes. I stuck the classic seymour duncan custom sustom/'59 combo in mine, and it sounds worlds better. Also, if you just payed money to a bloke to set up your guitar and it still buzzes, then he has no idea what he's doing, and is either 1)trying to get a sale or 2)trying not to say 'I set your guitar up badly'.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
miio

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvwman
Well I had a Epi SG400.....the pups suck, really bad

Actually the whole thing sucked. Sell it and buy that LTD sg or a Schecter

Quoting your sig: What the hell? I mean, the pups aren't that bad for a cheap Epiphone. There's actually nothing wrong with Epi G400's, except I didn't like the neck dive in mine. It's a great guitar for it's price. All I had to do with mine was change the nut because the original didn't appeal to me and it held tuning a lot better with a new one.
miio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: