Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

WGS speaker question

I'm looking into buying a set of WGS speakers to go in my JCA24S, but I wanted to know more about the differences between the Retro 30 and Veteran 30.

I've been leaning more toward the Retro 30, due to the claims that it has a tighter bass response, more high end, and that it "comes alive onthe dirty channel", since I would be using it for Metal.

My current gear is in my sig, and I play Groove/Thrash/Progressive Metal similar to: Lamb of God, Machine Head, Lazarus A.D., Dream Theater, Sylosis, etc.

In the sound clips, I preferred the Retro 30, but WGS doesn't have any consistency at all with their clips, meaning that the preference I hear could be an amp difference, among other things.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

Either the Retro 30 or the vetran 30 will be just fine. I would sugest pairing it up with either the ET65 or Reaper HP.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Would the Reaper HP work with the Retro 30 for a 120w amp? I am unfamiliar with the math to determine how that works. The Retro 30 is 75w and the Reaper HP is 50w. If that would work, I do enjoy the Reaper HP, but if not, I'll probably go with just two Retro 30's. My biggest issue with using different speakers is that for any of the gigs I've played, they only mic up one speaker, meaning that the audience is only hearing the tone from one or the other anyway.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Van Noord
Deactivated

I own a pair of both.
The Vet30 is darker, with less bite and atriculation.
The Retro30 is brighter, with more crunch/attack.
Both are really great.
If you have a brighter voiced amp, I would go with the Vet30.
If you have a darker voiced amp, I would go with the Retro30.

I'm used to V30's so I find the Vet30's a bit too smooth because I'm used to that aggressive attack from the mids and highs.
The Retro30's give me that attack, but the mids are more in the middle-mid level, rather than the high-mid level like V30's are.

MARSHALL 2203KK
VHT Pittbull Ultralead
MESA Single Recto
PEAVEY 6505
SOLDANO Avenger
PEAVEY JSX
MARSHALL JVM 210H
Van Noord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Would the Reaper HP work with the Retro 30 for a 120w amp? I am unfamiliar with the math to determine how that works. The Retro 30 is 75w and the Reaper HP is 50w. If that would work, I do enjoy the Reaper HP, but if not, I'll probably go with just two Retro 30's. My biggest issue with using different speakers is that for any of the gigs I've played, they only mic up one speaker, meaning that the audience is only hearing the tone from one or the other anyway.

Yeah it would make it a 100 watt cab.

The ET65 would make it a 130 watt cab. WGS lists the Vet30 and ET65 as their fav paring.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, the Vengeance is definetily a darker amp, and my main complaints about my current speakers are that it lacks articulation and clarity, has very little mid bite, but a decent amount of lower-mid growl, although it's very bassy. The highs are kinda meh. They're not harsh, but they're a little lacking at the same time.

I'm looking for something with a tight bottom end, a good balance of lower-mid growl and that mid crunch/bite, and a nice high end that isn't shrill or harsh.

My ideal setup that I'm shooting for at some point is an X of V30's and K100's, but I can't afford that now, and if I can upgrade my speakers and be happy, then I'll do that until I wanna put out the money for a Whitebox.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Yeah it would make it a 100 watt cab.

The ET65 would make it a 130 watt cab. WGS lists the Vet30 and ET65 as their fav paring.

I'm probably going with the Retro 30, though, and the idea of a "creamy lows" isn't really something that appeals to me with the ET65. I like the way the mids sound on it, though. I'll probably just stick with two Retro 30's, though.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
ikey_

i would recommend sending them an e-mail with your sound, rig, cab, musical preferences etc and thy will recommend a pairing for you. perhaps you may ask for 2 recommendations.

i did and i did take thier suggestion and i love it (vet 30 and reaper).

i told them i even wanted to run my 2x12 vertical and they were detailed enough to tell me to run the reaper on top (well, A because a reaper has more flavor / character as the accent, and B cause its 1 SPL higher, so it will be dominant....sit it closer to the ear if you want that to be the primary tone with the v30 as the base canvas so to speak).
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I emailed them in the past and they have never emailed me back. I had talked to both WGS and Jensen, but only Jensen ever responded. I contacted them through their website, so I doubt it was an issue of them not getting it.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #10
ikey_

hmm. my response back from WGS was relatively quick. maybe put something about purchasing in the e-mail title?

money talks
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Money shouldn't have to talk with something like this, but that's just me.

Honestly, though, I've gone through all of the clips, and I think I'm just gonna get two Retro 30's. I mean, my amp has a pretty in-depth set of EQ options, not to mention I run a 10-band on the loop. If these give me the bit, clarity, and tightness I want, I can dial in the rest

From everything I've heard, though, the Retro 30 should be perfect.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ sometimes emails go to the spam folder. which is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Would the Reaper HP work with the Retro 30 for a 120w amp? I am unfamiliar with the math to determine how that works.

that's probably gonna be iffy. you multiply the lowest-powered speaker by the total number of speakers. so the reaper HP is 50W and the retro 30 is 75W, = 50 x 2 = 100 watts.

Now... you may well be fine (especially if you're never cranking the thing). But it is risky.

EDIT: i'm also not sure i'd really associate lower mids with any british-voiced speaker i've tried. I've only tried the wgs et65s in their range, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ sometimes emails go to the spam folder. which is annoying.

that's probably gonna be iffy. you multiply the lowest-powered speaker by the total number of speakers. so the reaper HP is 50W and the retro 30 is 75W, = 50 x 2 = 100 watts.

Now... you may well be fine (especially if you're never cranking the thing). But it is risky.

EDIT: i'm also not sure i'd really associate lower mids with any british-voiced speaker i've tried. I've only tried the wgs et65s in their range, though.

I'm kinda looking for balanced mids. A little of everything. Something nice and full, with plenty of mid characteristcs in general. I can dial in the specific mids I want more with my amp. It's darker anyway, so it has a natural growl to it.

From everything I've heard so far, the Retro 30 should be exactly what I'm wanting. I just played a little through my amp yesterday, and the speakers just dissapoint me every time I play. I've heard what this is capable with V30s and T75s each, and the Jet City speakers just don't do it justice.

I mean, if I don't like the speakers, I can always trade/sell them. Everyone on here that's tried them loves them so far, though, so I see no reason why I wouldn't. You guys haven't let me down yet
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ just making sure you knew about teh mids thing

FWIW i thought the jet city speakers weren't actually that bad. I've heard a lot worse. that being said, a speaker upgrade would likely sound a fair bit better, too.

i actually thought the jet cities weren't a million miles away from v30s, though. which might be worth bearing in mind.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
ikey_

well your the owner of the company / small business and you probably get 500 e-mails a day some spam and some people asking random questions.

your probably going to open every single one without question that involves a purchase....(or potential one)

or just call?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ just making sure you knew about teh mids thing

FWIW i thought the jet city speakers weren't actually that bad. I've heard a lot worse. that being said, a speaker upgrade would likely sound a fair bit better, too.

i actually thought the jet cities weren't a million miles away from v30s, though. which might be worth bearing in mind.

Yeah, I was aware. The Jet City speakers certainly aren't terrible. Better than others I've tried. They just aren't a good match for me or for my amp. The only real issue I have with them in terms of actual quality is that they have a certain muddiness to them that you just can't get rid of. It's not terrible, but it's there. It just kinda kills some of the clarity. I've tried my exact setup through a Recto 2x12 (with V30's) and the difference was night and day. It was much more clear and sounded better in general, but I wasn't a fan of how harsh the V30's were. However, I didn't dial anything in differently, so everything I had been using to adjust for the JCA cab was also adjusted on the V30's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
well your the owner of the company / small business and you probably get 500 e-mails a day some spam and some people asking random questions.

your probably going to open every single one without question that involves a purchase....(or potential one)

or just call?

I'm really not that worried. I like V30's, and these are a clone. If they recommend me something from me trying to describe what I want, and there is some translation that's lost, then they could easily recommend something different than what I'm looking for. Describing tone isn't always easy. Like I said, all of the description I've heard from their site and from customers leads me to Retro 30. Not to mention, if the whole concept is a mistake and I decide that I DO like the JCA speakers in general, then a V30 clone is going to have pretty good resale value.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah. i didn't notice the muddiness, but then i was using them with my jet city head which isn't exactly muddy, it's pretty bright. Also, i had the cab on top of another cab (which makes them seem treblier, generally). Finally, I literally tried them for maybe 10 minutes, as I already had v12s and had got the cab specifically to put the v12s in. I just wanted to try the jet cities to see what they were like.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Yeah, I've lived with these things for probably about 11 months now. I've used a Blues Junior through them multiple times, and it didn't sound as bad, but it's a pretty bright amp. The Vengeance is darker, so I think it's just a bad pairing more than anything. I mean, live it's not too bad once you're in a mix and whatnot. Not issues cutting through (at all) and it really gives a nice lower-mid growl that I do enjoy. There's still a little lack of clarity, but in a mix, nobody but me would ever know.

I've never tried it with the Jet City amps, so I can't really comment on how well it works for what it's actually meant for

I will say, other than the rubber feet, the cab is built like a goddamn tank. The rubber feet fell off before I realized they were there, though. I lost one but managed to keep the other 3. It's got industrial casters screwed to the bottom now.

Also, the rubber around the handle is a little torn up from rubbing against the metal parts that hold the handle on the top.

I DID get lucky enough to snag one of the ones that's convertable between open and closed before they became a separate item.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ mine's convertible too. I have no idea why (i got it new from thomann like a couple of weeks ago), but i'm not complaining.

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

They had like 3 versions. The first was Closed Back, then they made it able to be either, now, it's closed again, but they offer a "+" version iirc that is convertable and also ported. It might have different speakers, too.

Basically, if you get one of the non-plus ones that is convertible, you just got lucky enough to get an extra feature for the same price.

Rate This Thread: