Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
mrserv0n

Cant decide on speakers for Eleven Rack

I have a Peavey Bandit 112 and tons of analog pedals etc.

I strictly play guitar in a bedroom over mp3s or backing tracks. Nothing else ever.

When I am rocking out full my Bandit is on Master volume 4 and its LOUD

I am playing my back tracks through Some Logitech 2.1 w/ sub on the computer.

I just got an Eleven rack and I simply don't like the sound of bypassing the preamp of the bandit and using the guitar speaker. When I plug the eleven rack into my computer and use the Logitech speakers I love the sound.

I need a speaker or speakers(s) Just for the eleven rack, I cant be playing mp3 and elevenrack over the same logitech speakers it gets too bunched up.

After some eleven rack searches I find a lot of people use Monitors, Rokit 6, HS80M

I realize what Monitors are for and Im not mixing or trying to get this flat response. I am just trying to get the speakers for my Eleven rack to play my guitar through and get the full effect of the amp sims. Are Monitors going to sound more like a Guitar amp speaker , or super refined and colored like my logitechs?

Thanks
Tube Zone

Last edited by mrserv0n : 12-04-2012 at 04:28 PM.
mrserv0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrserv0n
Are Monitors going to sound more like a Guitar amp speaker , or super refined and colored like my logitechs?

monitors are going to more accurately reproduce the signal coming directly out of the 11 Rack. your 11 rack comes with amp, cabinet and [most likely] microphone emulators so you don't need anything to 'color' the tone.

if you just play in the bedroom and play along with .mp3's then you'd be well served by some monitors.

if you are strapped for cash, then just get another pair of logitechs. if you already have a home stereo, you can try playing outta it.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
mrserv0n

Thanks, Can I use one monitor or do I have to buy two? Since Ive always only had one Speaker in my amp Ive never been into stereo delay and all that so will it sound ok with just one Rokit 6?

Whats the output like? Will one 6" speaker be as loud as my Bandit on volume 4?

Lastly I can get a HS80 used for $140 but they only have One.

Or I can get 2 Rockits for $300, I know the HS80 retails for a bit more, is there a big difference or would my tone deaf ears really care?
Tube Zone

Last edited by mrserv0n : 12-04-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Thanks, Can I use one monitor or do I have to buy two? Since Ive always only had one Speaker in my amp Ive never been into stereo delay and all that so will it sound ok with just one Rokit 6?

Whats the output like? Will one 6" speaker be as loud as my Bandit on volume 4?

one will prob do if you are only really playing mono. a single monitor should get you considerable volume, prob something similar to a 'bandit on 4). monitors tend to get fairly loud for bedroom playing. if you have the opportunity then i'd recommend demoing the monitor before purchase

Quote:
Lastly I can get a HS80 used for $140 but they only have One.

Or I can get 2 Rockits for $300, I know the HS80 retails for a bit more, is there a big difference or would my tone deaf ears really care?

my only real experience with monitors is through friends. i can't really help with comparisons between units i haven't tried.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Do you disable the cabinet sims when you play into the preamp?

Monitors won't sound like guitar speakers. If the 11R cab sims are off, then they will reproduce what is put in, more accurately than a guitar speaker can. Basically, with monitors, you can change the cabinet sim and get different sounds from that change, but with a guitar speaker, it will always have the color of that speaker. That's simplifying it a bit though, haha!
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
mrserv0n

Thanks, I am not looking for the guitar speaker sound, I have that already. And yes I want to use the cab sims. So I guess I have no choice but to try a monitor and compare it to my home theater speakers and amp speaker and just choose from there.
Tube Zone
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
icronic

HS80Ms are very nice monitors for the price you pay for them, I have the smaller version - the HS50M - for use with my AxeFX2 and they sound great for their pricerange. They're not all that great for mixing, but they work fine for just guitar.

KRK Rokkits are garbage (imo) they've got more bottom end than the Yamahas, but they've got this harshness to them that caused me ear fatigue after a while. If you want KRK you're better off looking into their VXT line of speakers... They're more expensive, The VXT4s are slightly more expensive than the Rokkit8s but they're a lot more pleasant to listen to.

You can get away with one monitor if you absolutely have to, but I'd definitely recommend a pair of them. Besides, stereo reverb and delay are awesome.

Finally... Monitors are definitely the way to go. The 11R is built to be run through FRFR speakers (Full Range Flat Response) whether it be studio monitors, PA monitors or front of house... Just make sure your cab sims are turned on otherwise you'll get the worst sound imaginable

Last edited by icronic : 12-05-2012 at 02:15 PM.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
mrserv0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic

Finally... Monitors are definitely the way to go. The 11R is built to be run through FRFR speakers (Full Range Flat Response) whether it be studio monitors, PA monitors or front of house... Just make sure your cab sims are turned on otherwise you'll get the worst sound imaginable

Thank you I only want it for guitar not mixing. Do you find the hs50 lacking bass like some reviews I saw or is it not a big deal for just guitar ? Cause I can afford the hs80 but don't like to burn money either. Thanks
Tube Zone
Old 12-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
icronic

They definitely do lack bottom end, but it's not really a big deal unless you like really thick bassy guitar tones. I run a sub with mine, but that's purely for mixing, when I'm just playing guitar I rarely hear the sub kick in unless I'm running some kind of Dual Rectifier kind of tone.

The HS50M are more than adequate and will sound good. However, the HS80M will sound bigger/fuller and more detailed. If you don't mind spending the extra cash then get a pair of them.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

Just get two good audio speakers from a stereo shop, don't get a sub-woofer system, 3 way ported with 8 or 10" woofer would be best.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
Just get two good audio speakers from a stereo shop, don't get a sub-woofer system, 3 way ported with 8 or 10" woofer would be best.

As far as I know most stereo speakers are passive... So that wouldn't work unless he also had an amp to power them... What would be the point of that?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
mrserv0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe

I have a $600 Onkyo stereo system and receiver with a sub already it was my understanding they color the sound and wouldn't be a good choice for amp modeling?

Ive run my RP250 through them before they sound good, but I have never owned monitors so I cannot compare with anything.
Tube Zone

Last edited by mrserv0n : 12-06-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
icronic

Quote:
I have a $600 Onkyo stereo system and receiver with a sub already it was my understanding they color the sound and wouldn't be a good choice for amp modeling?

Ive run my RP250 through them before they sound good, but I have never owned monitors so I cannot compare with anything.

Yeah they would definitely colour the sound.

That said, have you tried the 11R through them? Sound colouration isn't necessarily a bad thing unless you want a %100 accurate representation of the sound that your 11R is producing. FRFR is most important for things like recording, or if you're looking to play gigs and run yourself straight into the FoH PA.

I've plugged my AxeFX into my home stereo and it sounded great. My only real complaint was that it had too much lower emphasis and masked a lot of my mistakes.

Rate This Thread: