Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
KrymsinViking

GC Used Prices

Hey folks, I was wondering how firm the prices were on Guitar Center's online used gear. Anyone had any luck haggling them down? Iv heard that for new gear their prices can be somewhat flexible if your talking to the right associate but i'm not sure if that carries over for used gear too.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

They don't budge much if even at all. They used to haggle back more a few years ago. It depends from location to location really. No matter what, it always has to be authorized by the store manager.

Don't walk in expecting to get a used mint American Strat for the price of a MIM.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
KrymsinViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
They don't budge much if even at all. They used to haggle back more a few years ago. It depends from location to location really. No matter what, it always has to be authorized by the store manager.

Don't walk in expecting to get a used mint American Strat for the price of a MIM.

This goes for online as well? I accidentally posted this over in GB&C last night and they seemed to think they would haggle quite a bit on used online gear.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
MatrixClaw
UG God

If the item was recently marked down, or it just came into the store, they usually won't mark it down. I've been told by several associates, at several different locations, that they're actually not allowed to make changes to prices in the system if that's the case. However, assuming it doesn't meet any of these two criteria, I've found they're usually pretty willing to mark down things (within reason), since they ARE making commission off of you, and have to make quotas each month.

Honestly, that's what I've never understood about people complaining about stores that pay their employees on commission. Sure, they might be annoying, because they're trying to sell you something all the time... but at the same time, it makes it much more favorable for you, because they're making money off their sale, which means you have the advantage of haggling with them. Employees who are paid on salary/hourly have no incentive to discount a price for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

yeah but even haggling them down a bit could be more than the cost without their commission
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempoe
yeah but even haggling them down a bit could be more than the cost without their commission

Not my experience as of late.

Guitar Center, or at least the ones around here, have gotten VERY competitive on their used prices lately. I'm talking very close to what you'd find buying from a private seller, and in some cases... less.

Case in point:

There was a Diamond NitroX for sale at one of the local GCs here for $999 and I bought a mic that usually sells for ~$200 used, for $100 a few weeks back. I also bought a bass that should've been upwards of $500, for $350.

They also had a JCM800 for $700 last time I was in, and an Engl combo for $650.
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
KrymsinViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
If the item was recently marked down, or it just came into the store, they usually won't mark it down. I've been told by several associates, at several different locations, that they're actually not allowed to make changes to prices in the system if that's the case. However, assuming it doesn't meet any of these two criteria, I've found they're usually pretty willing to mark down things (within reason), since they ARE making commission off of you, and have to make quotas each month.

Honestly, that's what I've never understood about people complaining about stores that pay their employees on commission. Sure, they might be annoying, because they're trying to sell you something all the time... but at the same time, it makes it much more favorable for you, because they're making money off their sale, which means you have the advantage of haggling with them. Employees who are paid on salary/hourly have no incentive to discount a price for you.

Are you sure this is the case? One of the dudes who shops at my comic shop works at the local guitar center, and I asked him about the commision and he led me to believe he would have to sell 5+ Gibson level guitars ($1,500+) for it to kick in. Sorta more as a bonus for a great month then the driving force of their paycheck. Additionally he said that only two or three people at the local guitar center worked enough hours for it to be really possible to hit that mark.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
monwobobbo

ok here is the deal (although if you know somebody that works there they should have told you thins).

the price on used items is firm for the first 90 days. the manager may have a little wiggle room after 60 days but not before that. the managers are allowed at their discretion to apply certain discount deals but don't count on that. they may also be able to give you say strings to offset the cost of tax (in store only). if buying online then all of this goes out the window as they just won't bother with giving deals. your best bet is to be a regular at one of their stores. if you are they will work with you as best as they can. remember GC is a corporate entity and the policy is made in that manner. while the managers (not the sales staff) have some leway they still have to answer to higher ups so aren't likely to give deals that will be ?ed.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
KrymsinViking

Okay cool that makes sense. Their used prices are pretty solid online as is but I was just wondering about the prospect of haggling them down.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by monwobobbo
ok here is the deal (although if you know somebody that works there they should have told you thins).

the price on used items is firm for the first 90 days. the manager may have a little wiggle room after 60 days but not before that. the managers are allowed at their discretion to apply certain discount deals but don't count on that. they may also be able to give you say strings to offset the cost of tax (in store only). if buying online then all of this goes out the window as they just won't bother with giving deals. your best bet is to be a regular at one of their stores. if you are they will work with you as best as they can. remember GC is a corporate entity and the policy is made in that manner. while the managers (not the sales staff) have some leway they still have to answer to higher ups so aren't likely to give deals that will be ?ed.

Yup. The online prices can be haggled too, but the same time frame applies and you need to call and have a chat with a manager, not a salesperson.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Ippon
Amped

What monwobobbo and MatrixClaw said. I've had luck with typically, more expensive amps for even less than what they sell in CL and forums. Some of the senior associates, but specially the store managers have some wiggle room to negotiate. And it gets wider the longer it has been in inventory; so, senior/associate/manager, luck, and patience are all key to a killer deal.

I had a killer deal on a Fryette CLX for the price Min sold his UltraLead. Same with a Rivera KR100, XTC, Herbert, 85th Ann Marshall over the last holiday sale. Some managers would even call other managers out of state if you're buds with them.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
Yup. The online prices can be haggled too, but the same time frame applies and you need to call and have a chat with a manager, not a salesperson.

Yep! How I found/bought the Soldano HotRod Plus.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #13
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
Yep! How I found/bought the Soldano HotRod Plus.

dammit ippon, what don't you have?

They gave me free strings when I asked when I bought my Electradyne. that was all. got some Daddario 11s
Old 12-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
mmolteratx
UG God

I got strings with my Electra Dyne, then returned it and kept the strings. Set for strings in the foreseeable future.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
I got strings with my Electra Dyne, then returned it and kept the strings. Set for strings in the foreseeable future.

Deff the way to to do it
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
Ippon
Amped

Quote:

They gave me Bass strings with the last guitar amp.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
They gave me Bass strings with the last guitar amp.

Awesome.

At least they cost like 3 times as much as guitar strings?
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I got free shirts when I bought my mark v.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw

Awesome.

At least they cost like 3 times as much as guitar strings?

Yea. My embarrassment stopped me from asking the 5-string sets.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:

exactly what I did. they gave me three sets!

Rate This Thread: