Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
griffin888

Nice. The world needs more green guitars. You did a great job, looking forward to seeing your future builds!
cause you feel an urge to get some wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
it could turn the wangcaster into a bass.
griffin888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #22
Axe Murderer

HOLY FAWK!!! Dude, that is NICE!! Question: how the heck do you not buzz or fret out with such low action? Thats insane!
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Geezus, thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I design jewelry as another one of my hobbies, so i have to work woth color a lot. That is not my favorite color green, but when partnered with black and light sand/tan/wood tones like that, it is a truly stunning combo. (I once saw it used on a prototype car- best looking thing at the show except the models.)

I'd buy that. And your use of that combo on your #1 indicates that you probably have a good, strong color sense. I'm expecting future good things from you, sir!

It's funny that you should say that, I colored it specifically to work with the maple fretboard and black hardware/binding. However, if I were to do it again I'd lighten the green up a bit because I suspect that it might work better with the black hardware if it were lighter.

But honestly, after the weeks I spent experimenting with stains, shooting lacquer, and sanding, I think my next build will be all natural wood with an oil finish. 3 days of finishing sounds very nice compared to 3+ weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Murderer
HOLY FAWK!!! Dude, that is NICE!! Question: how the heck do you not buzz or fret out with such low action? Thats insane!

Thanks! I use D'Addario light top/heavy bottom 10-52s. I'm getting a bit too much buzz on the G string though, but I'm about go pick up some larger .18 wound strings to replace it, and I suspect that will help the situation.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #24
VVolverin3
Caparison Enthusiast

Location: Australia FTW Club, PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join
what the shit...?!?!?

that's amazing! So very cool man, well done.
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
VVolverin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
nicolasrivera

Looks great! love the horn design!
nicolasrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #26
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Geezus, thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone!

It's funny that you should say that, I colored it specifically to work with the maple fretboard and black hardware/binding. However, if I were to do it again I'd lighten the green up a bit because I suspect that it might work better with the black hardware if it were lighter.

But honestly, after the weeks I spent experimenting with stains, shooting lacquer, and sanding, I think my next build will be all natural wood with an oil finish. 3 days of finishing sounds very nice compared to 3+ weeks.

Then flip the script- instead of coloring the wood, use anodized guitar parts:

http://www.toone-townsend.com/colors.html

http://www.sperzel.com/Models_Colors.html

You get to use the same kinds of color combos, but without as much of a headache.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-07-2012 at 08:44 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #27
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
That's astounding for a first build.

+1

that looks "badass full stop/period", not merely "pretty good for a first attempt".

Awesome job there.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #28
woad_yurt

Damn, guy, that's beautiful. Really. Wow.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Then flip the script- instead of coloring the wood, use anodized guitar parts:

http://www.toone-townsend.com/colors.html

http://www.sperzel.com/Models_Colors.html

You get to use the same kinds of color combos, but without as much of a headache.

Oh wow, that's definitely something to consider. Is this something anyone can do, or does it require expensive equipment? It's looking like I'll be making my own bridge on the next build, so I'm open to alternatives to painting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
Awesome job there.

Thanks Dave
Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #30
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

That's so nice Mr. P1G. I'm just researching my first build and am preparing to strip and restore a squire strat I got for £30 as practice and if this is your first proper go, I've a lot to aspire to!

It looks awesome. Great job. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Oh wow, that's definitely something to consider. Is this something anyone can do, or does it require expensive equipment? It's looking like I'll be making my own bridge on the next build, so I'm open to alternatives to painting.

Anodizing does require some special equipment, but I'm not sure how pricey or big it is. However, if you live in or near a major metropolitan area, I wouldn't be surprised to find someone who does anodizing of small lots.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #32
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Warpig, you did us proud.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #33
dannyalcatraz

It looks like anodizing gear may be undergoing a bit of a downscaling revolution: http://www.caswellplating.com/elect...izing-kits.html

Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #34
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

@ phil, rooster, woad_yurt Thanks you guys!

I figured I may as well throw in a pic of the guitar on the guitar stand I made during the spring:

Quote:
It looks like anodizing gear may be undergoing a bit of a downscaling revolution: http://www.caswellplating.com/elect...izing-kits.html

Wow, $400 is still a bit steep. I think I'll look around for someone who might be able to do it locally. But I don't know if I'll do it for this bridge I'm building, I don't think aluminum is strong enough for this base plate, and i don't think titanium is cheap enough.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #35
Spaztikko

That stand man...
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #36
dkunick
Waco

Beautiful build! Only constructive criticism I'd offer is it seems the string ferrules on the back aren't quite lined up but I'm a stickler for detail. FWIW, try out the EMG Het Set or 57/66 set on your next build...easy installation and IMO better than the Blackouts. I know there's always something better on the market but the new EMG offerings are amazing. Well done bro!
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #37
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkunick
Beautiful build! Only constructive criticism I'd offer is it seems the string ferrules on the back aren't quite lined up but I'm a stickler for detail. FWIW, try out the EMG Het Set or 57/66 set on your next build...easy installation and IMO better than the Blackouts. I know there's always something better on the market but the new EMG offerings are amazing. Well done bro!

Yeah, that was one of those mistakes I learned from. Although, part of the issue with that was that I used the bridge holes as a template for drilling, and for some reason both E string holes were offset on the bridge itself. I didn't notice until it was too late. But that's not the only reason it's messed up, I should have made a template, it would have stopped the brad-point bit from wandering on me.

I'll definitely look into the those EMGs if I do another build with actives, but I'll actually be making my own pickups on the next build. Thanks for the suggestion, I'd never even heard of EMG 57/66s before.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #38
zilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeleopard
Oh.

Shit.

My thoughts precisely. That looks absolutely amazing
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #39
dkunick
Waco

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Yeah, that was one of those mistakes I learned from. Although, part of the issue with that was that I used the bridge holes as a template for drilling, and for some reason both E string holes were offset on the bridge itself. I didn't notice until it was too late. But that's not the only reason it's messed up, I should have made a template, it would have stopped the brad-point bit from wandering on me.

I'll definitely look into the those EMGs if I do another build with actives, but I'll actually be making my own pickups on the next build. Thanks for the suggestion, I'd never even heard of EMG 57/66s before.

Looking forward to it, happy building!
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 AM   #40
JustRooster
Organ Donor

You should build me stands for a few things. Beer stand, girlfriend stand, other girlfriend stand, dog stand... the essentials.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: