Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
YYMMalmsteen

DL8 Delay Pedal sounds wrong

I have a Digitech Hardwire DL8 (a delay pedal). When I use it on clean through my valve amp it sounds great.

But when I turn the distortion on and I play licks with the pedal, the delayed notes seem to clash with the first notes. Instead of having the first set of notes and the delayed ones played perfectly clear and separately, the notes swallow each other up and a horrible, screaming sound comes out of the amp. I don't know how to fix this. Can it be that the pedal is faulty? Or is there something I do not knwo about delay pedals?

The only "solution" I've come up with is: -turn delay level down
-turn gain WAY down

but that's no good. I want to be able to turn the pedal ON with high gain and still sound good

... thanks
YYMMalmsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
zl1288

Does your amp have an effects loop? Putting the delay in the loop may help a bit.

It also sounds like you may have the repeats on your delay set high, try lowering them along with the level. You may also want to try shortening your delay times a bit as well.
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
Does your amp have an effects loop? Putting the delay in the loop may help a bit.

It also sounds like you may have the repeats on your delay set high, try lowering them along with the level. You may also want to try shortening your delay times a bit as well.

I have a Peavy Valveking 112. An entrance area says EFFECTS

-send
-return

Nope, repeats and time are actually set at minimum
Does My amp have an efects loop? if so, how does it work?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
zl1288

Yes, your amp has a loop. The send jack sends the signal to any pedals you want in the loop, the return jack takes the signal back to the amp. So just plug into your amp normally, and put the DL8 into the loop like this: Send>DL8 input||DL8 output>Return
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
YYMMalmsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288

SORTED! sound epic thanks
shame I have to use 3 bloody jacks tho!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Great pedal, I have one on my pedal board. It has 2 inputs and 2 outputs so you can run it pretty much every way you want, at the same time.

I have mine in the loop and in front of the amp in my standard pre-amplifier chain. Its linked into the pre-amplifier chain by a true bypass switch box so I can use that and the amps footswitch (the FX loop switch specifically) to bring it in and out of each chain as I like
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: