Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
buzz kill

7 string vs 6 string tuned in B

i play a 6 string tuned in B standard. the other day i played a 7 string for the first time and i noticed that some where in the high strings, something was off. then i realized that my guitar is tuned B E A D F# B and the 7 string was tuned B E A D G B E. my question is am i tuned wrong on my 6 string? it sounds right when i play it but i don't understand why one goes D F# B and the other goes D G B.
buzz kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
jrenkert

A seven string just adds the extra string. There is a difference between b-standard and having an extra string on the instrument-you dig?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

You're not tuned wrong. They're both acceptable, just depending on if your string is 7 or 6. BEADF#B (for 6 string) is known as Baritone tuning by the way. I think it's a preference to the player and their guitar but that's as far as I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_tuning

We're all alright!
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
buzz kill

ok then let me re-phrase the question... what is the difference?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Preference.

Some chords might be shaped differently.

We're all alright!

Last edited by Mathedes : 12-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

The difference is with the 7-string the low B is added as an extension to a normal 6-string. So you get
6: E A D G B e
7: B E A D G b e

B standard is a result of down-tuning the normal standard tuning 2 whole steps & 1 half step.

B: B E A D F# b

The difference is from the method of arriving at the tuning. Mathedes is right though that it really is just preference really.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
buzz kill

ok that's a bit more helpful. i understand the down tuning bit but if all the rest of the strings fall in line i don't understand why that one string is different. oh well... it really doesn't matter because it was fun but there are a lot of things i didn't like about the 7 string so i'll most likely stick with the down tuned 6er... i guess i need to brush up on some fundamentals of theory though... thanks guys.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
awesomo41894

it has to do with how its tuned. Between G and B in standard, or on a seven string, is a 2 step interval. Then Between B and E its a 2 and a half, just like between the other strings. In order to compensate for the lack of the string, but still allow for scales and that ilk to be played the same, a six string in B is BEADF#B (D to F# is 2 whole steps, D D# E F F#) but on a seven, to keep it intervallically the same as a six, the strings are tuned in the same fashion. So think of the seven as a six string plus a low b in standard, its completely different pretty much.
awesomo41894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo41894
it has to do with how its tuned. Between G and B in standard, or on a seven string, is a 2 step interval. Then Between B and E its a 2 and a half, just like between the other strings. In order to compensate for the lack of the string, but still allow for scales and that ilk to be played the same, a six string in B is BEADF#B (D to F# is 2 whole steps, D D# E F F#) but on a seven, to keep it intervallically the same as a six, the strings are tuned in the same fashion. So think of the seven as a six string plus a low b in standard, its completely different pretty much.

just say major 3rd and 4th. i don't think i've heard somebody talk about music in "steps" since grade school

but other than that, accurate info
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
FrauVfromPoB
A Reasonably Talented Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
just say major 3rd and 4th. i don't think i've heard somebody talk about music in "steps" since grade school

but other than that, accurate info

Step is perfectly valid terminology. I'm at university for music and we say step all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Lightfoot
I opened the door and went round and round and I banged my head and then my arm fell off.
FrauVfromPoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

^What no whimsical comment about people who play guitars with more than 4 strings or that TS should quit dicking around and play a bass if he's gonna tune that low? The potential was here. You're losing your touch Hail.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players

wait he's playing a guitar? i thought he was just playing an oddly tuned 7 string bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrauVfromPoB
Step is perfectly valid terminology. I'm at university for music and we say step all the time.

i'd say step if you were moving in steps or to forego enharmonic semantics, but it seems clunky to me to not maintain context between two intervals in the same system that's been around since the beginning of time. in fact, i honestly don't think i've ever heard a guitar's tuning being describe as anything but fourths with a major third between the 2nd and 3rd strings outside of, like, guitar center lol

Last edited by Hail : 12-13-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: