Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
asb9pwns

guitar amp/cab for touring help.

Hey guys my band is currently in the process of getting to i would say "stage 2" of being a band were negotiating with a record label and we're planning to tour by this coming summer. We all need to upgrade our gear most of it is old or just not going to work for our style. I'll post a video of one of our songs as an idea to help me with my question. In the studio we used a marshall JCM 2000 head for recording. That is just out of our budget for two guitarists. I'm looking into Orange alot, I really like their tone and their overall durability, I'm looking in to either The Orange Dual Terror or The Orange TH30 head and more than likely an avatar cab either a 4x12 or a 2x12. My question is with this would 30watts be enough? i'm aware that we'll be mic'd up and all so i would assume it would but would it be good for us to save money and get 2x12 cabs? and as for avatar cabs I know Vintage 30's are preferred by the majority would this be what you would suggest for our style or what would anyone suggest for us to use? also other amps you would suggest? I was also looking into the peavy Windsor but they don't make them anymore. I honestly feel like an idiot asking all these questions so I apologize, all help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Check out my band spread our message https://www.facebook.com/BeBravefl
asb9pwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

What style of music?
My band
Addonexus
Addonexus408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
asb9pwns

Sorry I swore i posted this with the first post. im also looking at the 50watt Vox Night train head.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

No prob, sounds good man. Reminds me of Circa Survive . 30 watts through a 2x12 is definitely more then enough. As for the V30's some people find them to be a bit "hissy" on the upper mid/high end which in the style of music you play isnt too great. You should look into Eminence Red Coats, amazing alternatives to the typical Celestions you might find. What is your budget for a head? cab?
My band
Addonexus
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addonexus408
No prob, sounds good man. Reminds me of Circa Survive . 30 watts through a 2x12 is definitely more then enough. As for the V30's some people find them to be a bit "hissy" on the upper mid/high end which in the style of music you play isnt too great. You should look into Eminence Red Coats, amazing alternatives to the typical Celestions you might find. What is your budget for a head? cab?

Well we're all just pooling money together to buy all of our gear like we need a new drumset, cymbols,cabinets, amp heads, some pedals, just not fun lol we're getting money from the label and hopefully we'll get some from our kikstarter when we make it. But we want high end gear but not obviously we can't get the best of gear. say 1,200 for the head and cab? im pretty set on avatar cabs they're cheap and good and i think i can put the eminence speakers you were talking about in them. Do you think the Dual terror is a good head for this? or possibly the Vox Night Train? or anything else you may suggest? Thanks for the positive review of my band that means alot btw.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Robbgnarly

The money you get from the lable is mostlikely going to be for recording purposes (my bands have been on 2 small lables before).

Where do you live in the world?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
The money you get from the lable is mostlikely going to be for recording purposes (my bands have been on 2 small lables before).

Where do you live in the world?

We've already recorded a full album on our own, And im not 100% sure if it's going to be small label it's under Victory Records, it's called We Are Triumphant. But we're located in South Florida.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
asb9pwns

What speakers would you guys suggest when building an avatar cab?

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by asb9pwns
What speakers would you guys suggest when building an avatar cab?

depends on what amp you get.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Robbgnarly

Quote:
We've already recorded a full album on our own, And im not 100% sure if it's going to be small label it's under Victory Records, it's called We Are Triumphant. But we're located in South Florida.

I understand that, but if they are a diecent label, they will re-record you with a producer/engineer they like. Unless they absolutely love the sound of the album.

Another thing to note, you will never beable to own the rights to your music with a label, but you can make sure you get all publishing rights so if it is ever used, you will get paid
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
asb9pwns

Quote:
I understand that, but if they are a diecent label, they will re-record you with a producer/engineer they like. Unless they absolutely love the sound of the album.

Another thing to note, you will never beable to own the rights to your music with a label, but you can make sure you get all publishing rights so if it is ever used, you will get paid

Valid point there thanks for that! and we're looking into avatar cabinets, and a orange dual terror head. just need to figure out which speakers to load into the avatar cabinet to get the best sound for our style.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Katsock

Another thing with cabs is you may be able to save money on a 2x12, but if depending on your travel arrangements, you it'll also save space! And it's lighter in the end. With it micd up it seems like it may be a much better option
EV-Re 2 wireless

Fender Blacktop HH Tele
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Es-335 copy
Schecter s-1 elite
Seagull Coastline s6
-Endorsed by Godin-
Katsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
Addonexus408
Bay Area Thrash

I would highly recommend looking into the Egnater Tweaker 40, Blackstar HT Club 50, Line 6/Bogner DT25. Look up videos and see if they peak your interest. I have worked with all of these amps in the past and was very impressed with the tone especially for the money. An Avatar 2x12 loaded with some Eminence Red Coats would be killer.
My band
Addonexus
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
Robbgnarly

you can get used jcm2000's for $600 all dayeven at guitarcenter. you can also get Marshall 1960 cabs for $250+. now they are gonna be beat up a little, but will sound killer.

There was a Mesa DC-5 head on GC used site and they only wanted $550ish ( The DC5 is similar to the Mesa Mark series)

If you look good, you may fund a Mesa single rectifier.

Marshall JCM900 DR would work just fine.

If you really want a Orange TH30, look at www.humbuckermusic.com best new price on the th30 I have seen (better than most used prices also
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-05-2012, 04:17 AM   #15
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Marshall JCM900 DR would work just fine, although the Mk III and SL-X are better

FTFY

TS, I would go with 2x12's due to saving both money, space, and weight. The Dual Terror would be fine, although, like Robbgnarly said, you can get JCM2000's for pretty cheap used. Make sure you go with DSL's that are made after '04. TSL's and pre-'04 DSL's tend to melt on the inside.

In addition, you can get pretty cheap cabinets if you look used. I was looking at cabs on Guitar Center's used stuff yesterday, and you can get V30 and T-75 loaded 4x12's for $300 - $400 all day. Stuff like Line 6 Spider Valve cabs, Marhsall 1960 cabs, etc. I didn't really look at any 2x12's, but in my experience, they're less common and usually the good used ones are just as expensive or more expensive than similar 4x12's.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #16
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
FTFY

TS, I would go with 2x12's due to saving both money, space, and weight. The Dual Terror would be fine, although, like Robbgnarly said, you can get JCM2000's for pretty cheap used. Make sure you go with DSL's that are made after '04. TSL's and pre-'04 DSL's tend to melt on the inside.

In addition, you can get pretty cheap cabinets if you look used. I was looking at cabs on Guitar Center's used stuff yesterday, and you can get V30 and T-75 loaded 4x12's for $300 - $400 all day. Stuff like Line 6 Spider Valve cabs, Marhsall 1960 cabs, etc. I didn't really look at any 2x12's, but in my experience, they're less common and usually the good used ones are just as expensive or more expensive than similar 4x12's.

I'm looking on Avatars website I can build a nice cba fairly cheap im just stuck on speakers, I'm between Greenbacks or Eminence Swamp Thangs, I feel Vintage 30's won't be give us the tone we want like someone had mentioned before. Im searching used around and will continue to do so thanks guys!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #17
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
I'm looking on Avatars website I can build a nice cba fairly cheap im just stuck on speakers, I'm between Greenbacks or Eminence Swamp Thangs, I feel Vintage 30's won't be give us the tone we want like someone had mentioned before. Im searching used around and will continue to do so thanks guys!

It sounds like you have no clue what you want

No offense or anything, but you've gone between Red Coats, V30's, Greenbacks, and Swamp Thangs. Other than the first two, those are all drastically different speakers. Have you looked into Celestion G12T-75's? Those are the speakers most commonly paired with Marshall Amps. The V30's are the standard speaker for Orange amps. In addition, V30's are the industry standard speaker in general. A LOT of players use them for many different genres. What I heard in that song made me think V30 immediately, but the tone you had isn't necessarily the tone you want, so I'll let you decide on that. However, Greenbacks and Swamp Thangs are practically polar opposites.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #18
J2G
UG Member

just played your song, i like that shit... headed to your band's fb page now.
J2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
It sounds like you have no clue what you want

No offense or anything, but you've gone between Red Coats, V30's, Greenbacks, and Swamp Thangs. Other than the first two, those are all drastically different speakers. Have you looked into Celestion G12T-75's? Those are the speakers most commonly paired with Marshall Amps. The V30's are the standard speaker for Orange amps. In addition, V30's are the industry standard speaker in general. A LOT of players use them for many different genres. What I heard in that song made me think V30 immediately, but the tone you had isn't necessarily the tone you want, so I'll let you decide on that. However, Greenbacks and Swamp Thangs are practically polar opposites.

You are 100% correct I have no idea what i want hahaha. In the studio we were using the vintage 30's with a valveking head, just added a mxr noise gate and a iabnez tube screamer and boom our tone in all of our songs im guessing i should probably just buy that gear. lol

Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
asb9pwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2G
just played your song, i like that shit... headed to your band's fb page now.

hahaha thanks so much man!

Rate This Thread: