Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
ch1ng_chung

Pinch Harmonics?

So I have a MG100HDFX amp, and when I put it on a good amount of distortion, I can't seem to get strong pinch harmonics. They're like 1/10th the volume of a normal note, bridge pickup activated, and they just fade into nothing in 2 seconds.

Today I went to GC and tried the same guitar, bridge activated, with a Marshall JTM-1 and a Orange Tiny Terror 15w. Now, obviously, both these amps have less gain and distortion than a Marshall, but for some reason the pinch harmonics were extremely strong, like 1.5x the volume of a normal note. I was using low gain on both amps (my sound was a good bit cleaner than SRV's), yet I was getting very strong pinch harmonics, something my Marshall couldn't do unless on full, metal-like overdrive.

What gives?
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Can you do them without an amp, on every fret and string?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

they're tube amps. tubes are for the win.

i can give you the non-technical explanation if that's too complex?

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
ch1ng_chung

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G

Not every fret on the A string, and only half the frets on the low E string, but yes 100% of the notes that I'll actually do them on. They're not very loud, but neither is my guitar.
ch1ng_chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G

you can do pinch harmonics on the high e at the 24th fret?

I mean I agree a lot of it's technique, but at the same time this "it's all technique" thing is getting a little silly. I mean if the dude says he could do them on some kit but not other kit there's a fair chance his technique is fine (or at least, "good enough").

I found pinches were shite on my avt. I suspect it's the amp. tubes (especially hit with an OD boost) just seem to bring out pinches better, IME.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
supersac

first make sure your technique is okay just practice on them and make sure they sound out unplugged on every fret

and then yes i find tubes with an overdrive slmming the front end brings out pinch harmonics beutifully but only once the technique is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
you can do pinch harmonics on the high e at the 24th fret?

I mean I agree a lot of it's technique, but at the same time this "it's all technique" thing is getting a little silly. I mean if the dude says he could do them on some kit but not other kit there's a fair chance his technique is fine (or at least, "good enough").

I found pinches were shite on my avt. I suspect it's the amp. tubes (especially hit with an OD boost) just seem to bring out pinches better, IME.

I agree, it's not all technique. I just like to establish that it's not technique before getting into other things.

And I can do them on every fret. The fret actually doesn't matter since the harmonic comes from the pick. You can even do them on the theoretical frets past the 24th.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah but they sure as heck jump out better at the lower frets.

I agree that it doesn't hurt to establish it's not technique, but personally, I'd say "I can do them on this kit but not on this other kit" has already established that.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #9
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You're not going to get the same kind of compression when you turn up either the volume or gain on a solid state amp as you do with a valve amp. Solid state amps also emphasise bass and treble, whilst valve amps emphasise the mids, which is where most of the electric guitar's range, tone and response lay.

So, turn up the mids and consider adding in something that will mimic valve compression; some distortion and overdrive pedals can do this, or you could simply use an EQ pedal to push the mids more and old the treble and bass back, outside of the amp's own EQ. Don't make the mistake of using a compression pedal, because those are quite a different kind of compression to that sort you get from driving an amp hard.

Rate This Thread: