Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Thermon

Speaker Wattage vs Amp Head Wattage?

I'll be the first to admit I'm a total tube amp noob ( that's why I have you UG ), and I have a question that should be pretty easy to answer. I recently ordered a Laney Ironheart 60 watt head, and am considering getting an Avatar cab to go with it. I was looking at their speakers and would like V30's. It says the speakers are 60 watts, and I was wondering if that would be okay for a 60 watt head? I know I wouldn't want them any lower at all, but would I be okay? Or should I look for something higher in wattage for speakers?
Thermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Do you plan on getting a 2x12 (and if not, you honestly should at least for various reasons)? If so you should be fine as that will total out to 120w.

However, generally when buying speakers/cabinets try to aim for a higher wattage. The amp may be rated at 60 watts but tube amps put out much more than what their rated when pushed.

Of course, if you don't plan on ever cranking/pushing the amplifier anywhere past around the midway point on the master, it doesn't matter too much.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Thermon

I plan on getting a 2x12, yes. I don't plan on cranking it past that on a regular basis by any means, but if the situation arises that I need to, I'd like to be able to without worrying about my amp messing up. If you think I will not be running a risk due to speaker wattages, I will probably get the Avatar. Otherwise, I will continue looking around if I'd be running a risk of messing up my head.
Thermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
CodeMonk
UG's Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Do you plan on getting a 2x12 (and if not, you honestly should at least for various reasons)? If so you should be fine as that will total out to 120w.

However, generally when buying speakers/cabinets try to aim for a higher wattage. The amp may be rated at 60 watts but tube amps put out much more than what their rated when pushed.

Of course, if you don't plan on ever cranking/pushing the amplifier anywhere past around the midway point on the master, it doesn't matter too much.

This but also, decent speakers can handle more than their rating.
Example : AC30C2X AC30C2X
2 - 15 watt speakers.
And an AC30 can put out up to about 40 watts.

Basically, as long as the total wattage of all the speakers hooked up are equal or greater than that of the amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
I'm sorry that we won't validate your decision, we give advice here, not good feelings
CodeMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox

this is a safe convention. some of us crazier/reckless musicians actually like to push the speaker to it's limits at the possible expense of some speaker life.

also, just like amp's have a nominal output rating, speakers have a nominal power handling rating. just as an amp can produce more output than the nominal rating a speaker can handle more power than it's nominal rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermon
I'll be the first to admit I'm a total tube amp noob ( that's why I have you UG ), and I have a question that should be pretty easy to answer. I recently ordered a Laney Ironheart 60 watt head, and am considering getting an Avatar cab to go with it. I was looking at their speakers and would like V30's. It says the speakers are 60 watts, and I was wondering if that would be okay for a 60 watt head? I know I wouldn't want them any lower at all, but would I be okay? Or should I look for something higher in wattage for speakers?

you should be fine with a 60 watt head and a 1x12 loaded with a V30. if you get a 2x12 or 4x12 then you will be plenty fine.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae

Last edited by gumbilicious : 12-13-2012 at 11:12 PM.
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Like said, speakers are usually rated for higher than their rating says. See, amps are rated at X number of watts RMS, which is kinda like an average of the output, more or less. Speakers are rated in the same way. Now, some speakers are rated more or less generously than others, but if your amp is 60w, you can be safe with a 60w or higher speaker.

In a 2x12, though, the best rule to go with is double the lowest-rated speaker. In your case, they're the same, so it's rated at 120w. If you had a 50w and 75w speaker, though, the safe bet would be 100w.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbilicious
you should be fine with a 60 watt head and a 1x12 loaded with a V30. if you get a 2x12 or 4x12 then you will be plenty fine.

+1

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: