Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
boratian
UG Member

[C4C] Looking for various critiques - Clean, Melodic guitar

Hey guys, I wrote this song way back last March and finally decided to re-do it properly to give it justice, as it is dedicated to two people. I recently started using Toontrack's EZDrummer with the Metalheads expansion and I think it really enhances the quality of the drums. I use POD Farm for the the guitars.

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-st-den...art-1-rough-mix

I'm looking for critiques on the tone, atmosphere, mixing especially, flow, etc. This is the first section of the four part song (it's about 15 minutes total so it makes sense to break it up lol)

I will C4C guaranteed

Thank you!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
zymn

To me this kind of sounds like elevator music. I mean, it all sounds good, but it doesn't really go anywhere. It just kind of keeps going slow and doesn't build into anything. Not sure how to explain it but I think you understand.

Check out mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1577045
zymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

OK, I'm going to concentrate on the mixing for now:

- Kick drum and snare samples are way too crisp and processed, they don't fit in a mellow mix. You need a roomier, more natural sounding kit. Try the Drummix Beta with a good stereo reverb.

- The guitars feel a little bit squashed into the centre of the stereo image. If you want things to be big and spacey, you'll have to think more about overlapping frequncies and panning.

I can't say the arrangement grabs me all that much, but if it's part of a larger work that's understandable.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
boratian
UG Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
OK, I'm going to concentrate on the mixing for now:

- Kick drum and snare samples are way too crisp and processed, they don't fit in a mellow mix. You need a roomier, more natural sounding kit. Try the Drummix Beta with a good stereo reverb.

- The guitars feel a little bit squashed into the centre of the stereo image. If you want things to be big and spacey, you'll have to think more about overlapping frequncies and panning.

I can't say the arrangement grabs me all that much, but if it's part of a larger work that's understandable.

This was one of the things I was worried about...the problem is the majority of the song is actually a metal song so I wanted to have a consistency within the drum sound. My "roomy"kit didn't fit the metal too well, and the metal kit obviously doesn't fit the more spacey stuff. I think I was a bit preemptive uploading this section of the song as I intend to add synth/piano parts into the mix
Old 12-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
aaron aardvark

boratian,
The melodies & atmosphere are nice, though the guitar playing could be tighter timing wise. Audio quality is good. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1576745
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: