User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
Philip_pepper
Banned

Flying to Brazil

Sup.

I have some friends down in Curitiba, which I hear is the most European city in Brazil, so I totally wanna check it out.

Has anyone here gone to Brazil? I know Kensai has, and I know a few on here live there.

So...what can I expect? Should I wear really cheap clothes, no phone, and a Casio watch to avoid getting robbed? Also what kind of voltage do they have there? How bad is the corruption?

And how do I not go crazy on a +10 hour flight?

Oh yeah, and I speak Portuguese so communication shouldn't be a problem.
Philip_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
gabcd86
isn't French.

I'm half-Brazilian, haven't been back in a few years though.

Plugs, IIRC, you can just use a EU plug without any worry. Corruption... I don't see how it would affect a tourist, unless you're looking to build a bridge or get any official papers?

As for safety, IDK, depends so much on where you're going. Don't wander around waving an iPhone, obviously, but I don't think, for the most part, you'd need to act much smarter than you would walking home in London at night or something. Probably best not to go out alone though.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
LostLegion
resurrected

I've always wanted to go to Brazil. I know they do have lots of pickpockets and stuff in Brazil.

If you can, search the internet for 'Scam City: Rio', it's a TV that shows different scams that they pull in Rio (but I say it could be applied anywhere in Brazil), the episode might be around the internet somewhere.

LostLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Philip_pepper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabcd86
I'm half-Brazilian, haven't been back in a few years though.

Plugs, IIRC, you can just use a EU plug without any worry. Corruption... I don't see how it would affect a tourist, unless you're looking to build a bridge or get any official papers?

As for safety, IDK, depends so much on where you're going. Don't wander around waving an iPhone, obviously, but I don't think, for the most part, you'd need to act much smarter than you would walking home in London at night or something. Probably best not to go out alone though.

Say, do you know if people with Portuguese nationality can move legally to Brazil without any visa problems?

Just asking about corruption because an old buddy of mine went to Chile once and he saw corruption everywhere. That was a while ago, just wondered if it would still be as bad.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Dealie

I was born in Brazil and lived there for six years. I went back there a couple years ago to visit my relatives in Santos and Sao Paulo.

As far as the crime is concerned, I don't think people will rob you in broad daylight. I walked to, from, and around the mall with my little cousin (12) and my little brother (11) when I visited there at 14 and nobody even paid attention to three kids walking around. Having said that, I wouldn't have walked around like that at night, and never would have walked alone. As long as you're not going around speaking English loudly, with fancy clothes and electronics, you won't get robbed. Just try not to look like too much of a tourist. The only incident we had was that our car got broken into once while we were there, but all they stole was a broken car battery

The plugs are different from American ones, so you have to have a converter or something. That's all I really remember about it.

I won't lie, the ten hour flight is awful. I nearly had a panic attack from having to be confined to one place for so long. I stayed sane by listening to music and reading, mainly. If you start getting panicky, just take a break and walk to the bathroom and back. If you're lucky and get a night flight, you can at least sleep for a little.

Have fun on your trip. Brazil is an awesome place

Last edited by Dealie : 12-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Dealie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Crazyedd123
UG's Primus fanboy

I'm half Brazilian (even though my grandad is Latvian), and I've been to Curitiba.

IIRC, it's very high up, so you feel quite odd getting there because you basically have to drive through mountain areas. But the place itself is very nice and I would love to go there again sometime.
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Crazyedd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
gabcd86
isn't French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
Say, do you know if people with Portuguese nationality can move legally to Brazil without any visa problems?

Just asking about corruption because an old buddy of mine went to Chile once and he saw corruption everywhere. That was a while ago, just wondered if it would still be as bad.

Not sure, I remember reading something about Brazil and Spain signing a deal a while back - if it's not the case atm, I suspect it'll be it soon - Brazil needs educated workers, Europe is swimming in unemployment.

Yeah, it's pretty bad, but I shouldn't think it'll affect you.

It's a wonderful country, you'll have a blast.

"En una revolucion, se triunfa o se muere, si es verdadera." ~Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeb rocks
I guess that does technically make you the Che to my Fidel if it makes you feel better

UG Amplified
gabcd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
LostLegion
resurrected

Quote:
Not sure, I remember reading something about Brazil and Spain signing a deal a while back - if it's not the case atm, I suspect it'll be it soon - Brazil needs educated workers, Europe is swimming in unemployment.

I lol'd at the Amplified link in your sig.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Ippon
Amped

Curitiba is one of the relatively safe places there and the greenest. If I were to retire in Brazil, it'll be there.

Sao Paolo and Rio have their attractions and are must visits. If you're cruising with locals, the favelas are pretty interesting ... great JiuJitsu and Judo everywhere!

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
due 07
haaan

You could always listen to...

Jets to Brazil
due 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
Philip_pepper
Banned

Quote:

I'll be honest, I wanna go there, see what it's like and if I like it. If it really is a country with a lot of potential, then damn, why not move there for good?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
BlitzkriegAir
Attack!

Motorhead wrote a song about this

I think you should be safe, just dont go to the shitty looking areas and you should be fine. Get your best brazillian accent going cara.

Last.fm
BlitzkriegAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #13
LostLegion
resurrected

Also Brazil has martial arts like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Capoeira if you're interested in that stuff.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
I have some friends down in Curitiba, which I hear is the most European city in Brazil, so I totally wanna check it out.

Surely you've been to european cities before

Are you doing the Tam Frankfurt -> Rio/Sao Paulo flight? I've done that a number of times. It goes pretty quick if you're doing it in the afternoon, you just get some sort of food then you fall asleep, wake up, more food and then you land. If you're tall like me it's less fun, though.

Se vocé tinha outro perguntas, só perguntar.
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #15
Philip_pepper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Surely you've been to european cities before

Are you doing the Tam Frankfurt -> Rio/Sao Paulo flight? I've done that a number of times. It goes pretty quick if you're doing it in the afternoon, you just get some sort of food then you fall asleep, wake up, more food and then you land. If you're tall like me it's less fun, though.

Se vocé tinha outro perguntas, só perguntar.

Tenho mesmo sim! Ora este sueco falando português

Ok, where did you go to in Brazil?

And, quite simply, what was your opinion of the country?

I'll probably fly from London.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
Kensai
49ers

Quote:
Tenho mesmo sim! Ora este sueco falando português

Ok, where did you go to in Brazil?

And, quite simply, what was your opinion of the country?

I'll probably fly from London.

Eu não pode falo bem ainda, mas estou aprendendo!

I went to Pará, it's about as far north as you can go. It's a 42 hour flight from Sweden, was 8 stops last time... think about that on your tiny 10 hour flight

Brazil is amazing and I love almost everything about it. The women are extremely flirty, the climate is great, the environment is beautiful/challenging, everyone is really friendly... I love the country. I'm going there for another month next year as well.
██████████████████████████
Kensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
megano28
Of Stone

So you're going to travel to Brazil to visit the most European town there?

Spend thousands of euros to see something similar to what you already know, makes sense brah

Last edited by megano28 : 12-08-2012 at 10:21 PM.
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Philip_pepper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensai
Eu não pode falo bem ainda, mas estou aprendendo!

I went to Pará, it's about as far north as you can go. It's a 42 hour flight from Sweden, was 8 stops last time... think about that on your tiny 10 hour flight

Brazil is amazing and I love almost everything about it. The women are extremely flirty, the climate is great, the environment is beautiful/challenging, everyone is really friendly... I love the country. I'm going there for another month next year as well.

42 hour flight with 8 stops, goddamn it dude. WTF!

How often have you been there? You got an archaeology gig there don't you? You lucky bastard!

Oh yeah, see about the women...I don't know how true this is, or how accurate, but the brazilians apparently make out a lot.

I was talking to this girl back when I was 16 who was doing an exchange program with my school in Canada and she said she had made out with at least 30 other guys. It's kinda normal to just...make out.

So, yeah. May that information help you out next month.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
Philip_pepper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by megano28
So you're going to travel to Brazil to visit the most European town there?

Spend thousands of euros to see something similar to what you already know, makes sense brah

Well, my friends live there, it's got the highest living standard in Brazil. Best chance to not get robbed.

It actually looks really nice! Google it. Apparently the snobbiest brazilians live there.

They got buses...that work as subways.

Last edited by Philip_pepper : 12-08-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #20
Saint78
julian wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by due 07
You could always listen to...

Jets to Brazil :cool:

Beat me to it. :(

Rate This Thread: