Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Need some help with guitar pots/wiring/switch

I was asking about this in another thread, but decided to make my own so I'mnot thread-jacking and to make it more clear and specific.

When I have my wah plugged in, it amplifies the noise level of my practice rig. It's noisier when the wah is off than on, but it's not true bypass, it's an Original Crybaby. The cheap GCB-95. This isn't the issue, though, as I'm getting a new wah for Christmas. The issue that concerns me is my guitar's volume pots.

When I turn my volume pot, the noise is much more obnoxious when it's in on about 5. It goes from tolerable on 10 and slowly goes to obnoxious on 5, then slowly goes back down to nothing when it hit's 0. It's a smooth transition. The tone knobs have no affect on this.

The pots are not scratchy, I bought the guitar new about 3.5 - 4 years ago. It's the guitar in my signature. I had the pickups replaced by a tech at guitar center about 8 - 10 months after buying it. He was an older guy and seemed knowledgeable. This was before I was comfortable doing these things myself. I asked him to look at the pots and wiring and make sure that it was up to snuff and if the pots or switch needed replacing, I would pay for that also. He told me the switch was decent, and didn't need replacing, as it worked fine, and the pots were full-size 500k pots and he was impressed that they were good quality. He said he cleaned up some of the soldering for me (at no extra charge or anything) and made sure the wiring was good.

Now, being new to soldering and things of this type, I would like some opinions on whether I need to replace my pots or not. If I don't need to spend any extra time or money on this, I don't want to.

The only issue I've had with my switch is that every once in a while, when I go from Bridge to Neck, it'll barely let out any sound. Fixing it only involves switching back to Bridge then to Neck again.

Pics time.

^All four

^Neck

^Bridge

^Closeup of Tone knob to see cap

^Switch

Seeing all of this, how does everything look? Are my pickups using some kind of solderless, plug-and-play thing there with the white connector on the wires in the knob compartment?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The white connector is just to make it a bit easier to change the pups, not the pots. The pots will still need to be soldered when you change them. A500K is a log/audio pot and B500K is a linear. You want the same unless you want to try log pots on the tone. I take it that the A's are the volume pots and the B's are the tone, yes? If you want to keep it as it is stay with the same. If you want more control at lower setting use A500K tone pots as well. Try it and see what you like, you can always change them again later, they're only about $5. Different people like different things for the tone control. The volume should be A500K.

I can't make out what that tone cap is from the photo good enough to identify it. It's probably fine from what I can see.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
The white connector is just to make it a bit easier to change the pups, not the pots. The pots will still need to be soldered when you change them. A500K is a log/audio pot and B500K is a linear. You want the same unless you want to try log pots on the tone. I take it that the A's are the volume pots and the B's are the tone, yes? If you want to keep it as it is stay with the same. If you want more control at lower setting use A500K tone pots as well. Try it and see what you like, you can always change them again later, they're only about $5. Different people like different things for the tone control. The volume should be A500K.

I can't make out what that tone cap is from the photo good enough to identify it. It's probably fine from what I can see.

Do I really NEED to change them, though? This is only an issue when there is already a significant amount of noise when I play. I have a Decimator in my loop through my actual rig. My practice rig is:

Guitar>GCB-95(I take this out if I'm not using it)>Hardwire TL-2>PA Head>USB Powered Headphones

My computer is also plugged into the PA, and there is no volume sent to the speakers, only to the Record Out, which is my headphones.

I honestly can't remember if it's ever an issue on my rig, as it's fairly quite even without the decimator. I just use to to keep out hum. I haven't used that wah in my live rig for a long while, because it's very unreliable.

Also, you have the pots backwards. The A's are Tone and the B's are Volume. With the white connector, I was asking if it was like a quick-change system for the pups so that you just drop new ones in, plug them into that, and play.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Just another note- it looks like your cavity has the spray on shielding. It might not hurt to get some copper foil tape and line your cavity with that, then hook it up to the ground either.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Just another note- it looks like your cavity has the spray on shielding. It might not hurt to get some copper foil tape and line your cavity with that, then hook it up to the ground either.

Where would I get that kind of thing? Also, how do you go about hooking the tape up to the ground?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Stew Mac. And you just solder it.

It will be silent as long as you have your bridge ground still hooked up.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Okay, thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

From your description I'd change them. Plus they look like some shitty generic chinese things. I'd change them, myself.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I'm gonna look into it, then. I might just buy new caps as well, just to make sure they're up to snuff

Rate This Thread: