Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Deledhel

Kinda confused with 12ax7 tubes

Ι want to replace my stock tube on my AMT ss-20 (preamp) and I've been suggested those by the local guitar tech:

http://www.thomann.de/gr/groove_tubes_12ax7r3.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gr/tad_rt011_...25s_mullard.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gr/tungsol_nn...2ax7ecc803g.htm

For starters all of those are 12ax7 preamp tubes (right?!)

Which would you suggest for blues/rock to heavy metal (80s era)?
Deledhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
ikey_

yes they are all the right tube.

the music you play will be more determined by the amp and then guitar / pedals. 1 12ax7 will not make our amp a blues amp and another a metal amp.

there is not that much difference, rather than subtle ones or flavors if you will that some people find preferences.

now if you change the tube type, like a 12au7....that will kill your metal, as it will drop the gain about 70%.

those are all very nice tubes. i have no experience with TAD and stray away from GT just cause i want the original, not a rebranded. however that in no way makes it less good, thats just me.

i like tung sol tubes and think tehy do have a nice bite that would be good for metal. that is a high end one with gold pins etc. even the standard new production tung sol would work well.

perhaps somebody else can speak for the TAD and GT.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Groove Tubes are rebranded. Personally I avoid rebrands because I'd rather know exactly what I'm getting.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Deledhel

Hmmm I got told that the
http://www.thomann.de/gr/tad_rt011_...25s_mullard.htm wouldn't be compatible with the ss-20 and I should get the http://www.thomann.de/gr/tad_rt001_...c83_12ax7ac.htm
instead... What gives? Aren't both preamp tubes?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

First off, don't buy gold pins. That's just snake oil.

Second, I would avoid Groove Tubes, like said, because they're just other tube brands that say "Groove Tubes" on them.

Personally, I would go JJ ECC83S It's a great all-around tube. Most users on here agree that JJ makes some of the best current production tubes on the market. Tung Sol's are fine, too, but some people say that they are too thin or a little harsh. Personally, I use a few in my amp's preamp, with the rest being JJ.

What did you amp have in it before? If you were happy with the sound, you could always just put the same thing in it
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Deledhel

The power amp which is a marshall 20/20 has el84s and an ecc82 preamp valve. I want to change my preamp's tube (an SS-20 AMT preamp) because I've heard from other owners (of the amt preamp) that it improves the tone qualities. The stock valve inside the AMT is an Electro Harmonix ecc83 12ax7. So ecc803 can't be used at ecc83 sockets?

I want to do this to experiment and may be improve my "toanz", while changing something on the more mobile side of my rig (I don't like carrying a rack along my guitar and pedal-board at every live)

Sorry for being clueless :\ and thanks for your answers..
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

ECC803's are the same as 12ax7's except for tube dimensions, iirc. I don't have any, but Cathbard would be who I would ask about this. It might not fit in the enclosure, if anything. Also, that 12ax7 in the power amp is not a preamp tube, it's the Phase Inverter, which is a part of the Power section. If I were you, I would put a JAN Philips 5751 in that slot. For the preamp, if you really want good tone, go NOS. It's pretty expensive, though. If not, JJ ECC83S

I would also retube the power tubes with JJ's
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

That groove tube is a rebranded eletro-harmonix. They aren't a bad tube but can be a little tinny compared to a JJ. They aren't the worst of the Sovtek factory's tubes but you can do better.

The TAD is a Mullard reissue, also out of the Sovtek factory. Very similar to the one above.

The Tungsol ECC803 is also out of the Sovtek factory. They are a low noise variant of the 12AX7. Most ECC803 tubes can have a tendency to be microphonic so you avoid using them in a combo, it would be fine in your preamp. They are slightly lower gain than a 12AX7 but normally not by enough to notice by ear. I am a big fan of ECC803 tubes but I have never tried the Tungsol reissue one. It's probably decent.

The TAD RT001 looks like it may be a Chinese Shuguang. If they are then the C version would be quite good and the A and B versions would be shit.

My recommendation in a stand alone preamp unit would be the JJ ECC803.

PS. For future reference here is the Groove Tube chart for identifying which one is which.
http://thetubestore.com/groovetubes.html
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 12-10-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: