Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
I K0nijn I
Registered User
 
I K0nijn I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Belgium
I happen to have both an SG Standard as a LP Traditional and I'd say you should decide which guitar you find is more comfortable. The SG is pretty lightweight, is a bit neck-heavy (mine does stay up nicely with a strap), while the Les Paul is stupidly heavy and really digs in your shoulder if you're playing for a couple of hours standing up (e.g. rehearsals). I don't mind the weight, but the SG definitely is the more comfortable guitar, in my opinion.

Sound-wise for what you want, they'll both do it just fine. I find that the SG is a bit more cutting, has a less balanced sound and screams rock and roll. The Les Paul is, in my opinion, way better for cleans and mildly overdriven stuff, still being good at the whole rock and metal thing. In my opinion, the Les Paul is the most versatile guitar you can get.

Other than that, it's your decision. The Les Paul cost me a fair amount more, but it was worth it.

EDIT: If you also need to buy a new amp and don't have money to spare, I'd rather put a tad more money into an amplifier than paying that much more for a guitar. In that prospect, I'd go with the SG (or maybe a LP Studio, even though I feel they're much inferior to the Traditional) and have the difference in money spent towards a good amp. :-)

Last edited by I K0nijn I : 12-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #22
3volved
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Given your music tastes, Les Paul all the way.
__________________
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
3volved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
ozgupolat
in prog we trust
 
ozgupolat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Istanbul
yea i think so im gonna les paul traditional
but have a question about traditionals
whats the diffrence between traditional-traditional pro - traditional plus- standard traditional
ozgupolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
I K0nijn I
Registered User
 
I K0nijn I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Belgium
The Standard Traditional and the Traditional are the same thing IIRC. Mine said Standard Traditional on the tags, but just says Traditional on the truss rod.

The (Standard) Traditional has a 57 / 57 combo.
The Plus has a 57 / 57 combo and a "plus" top, a higher grade maple top.
The Pro has coil tapping and a burstbucker 3 / 57 combo.

As far as I can tell, I might be wrong.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
There is actually nothing objectively wrong with the Studio over the Traditional.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #26
I K0nijn I
Registered User
 
I K0nijn I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Belgium
What do you mean? A Traditional is a different beast, in my opinion.

The Studio has the granadillo fingerboard, is weight relieved, has a 60's slim neck profile and 490R and 498T pickups.

The Traditional has a rosewood fingerboard, is a lot less weight relieved, has a 50's neck profile and Classic 57's. No coil tapping or any of those things.

It's all a matter of taste, but in my opinion, the Traditional is the best Gibson Les Paul - outside of the Custom or Custom Shop - you can buy.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #27
ozgupolat
in prog we trust
 
ozgupolat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Istanbul
Quote:
Originally Posted by I K0nijn I
What do you mean? A Traditional is a different beast, in my opinion.

The Studio has the granadillo fingerboard, is weight relieved, has a 60's slim neck profile and 490R and 498T pickups.

The Traditional has a rosewood fingerboard, is a lot less weight relieved, has a 50's neck profile and Classic 57's. No coil tapping or any of those things.

It's all a matter of taste, but in my opinion, the Traditional is the best Gibson Les Paul - outside of the Custom or Custom Shop - you can buy.

thank you for your explain
i choose these lastly
http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson_Les%...%20Case_1757001
http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson_Les%...20Colors_747349

i need one last help
thanks
ozgupolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
I K0nijn I
Registered User
 
I K0nijn I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Belgium
The Classic Custom and the Traditional are a lot different as well, in my opinion. You really have to play them both and see what you like best. I liked them both, but preferred the Traditional.

Also, buy the guitar you play. Every single guitar is different.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
ozgupolat
in prog we trust
 
ozgupolat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Istanbul
Quote:
Originally Posted by I K0nijn I
The Classic Custom and the Traditional are a lot different as well, in my opinion. You really have to play them both and see what you like best. I liked them both, but preferred the Traditional.

Also, buy the guitar you play. Every single guitar is different.

so whats the diffrence
ozgupolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by I K0nijn I
What do you mean? A Traditional is a different beast, in my opinion.

The Studio has the granadillo fingerboard, is weight relieved, has a 60's slim neck profile and 490R and 498T pickups.

The Traditional has a rosewood fingerboard, is a lot less weight relieved, has a 50's neck profile and Classic 57's. No coil tapping or any of those things.

It's all a matter of taste, but in my opinion, the Traditional is the best Gibson Les Paul - outside of the Custom or Custom Shop - you can buy.

Meh, personal preference i guess. There is actually nothing at all wrong with Studios. Granadillo is a very good material to make a fingerboard from and weigh relief makes the guitar more resonant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgupolat
so whats the diffrence

The Classic Custom has a baked maple fingerboard which kicks ass.

I actually prefer the Classic Custom to the Traditional.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #31
ozgupolat
in prog we trust
 
ozgupolat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Istanbul
i think im gonna classic custom
ozgupolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #32
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgupolat
i think im gonna classic custom


Merhaba! I was in Turkey this year. So beautiful, Patara. Which is in Fethiye.

Anyway. Have you played these guitars? The different fretboard can make a lot of difference.

Some people hate rosewood, some hate maple. Some don't mind either.

Personally I'm not a fan of Rosewood. I really notice the contact and it grates on me like fingers on a chalkboard. I actually changed the neck on my rosewood Strat to a maple.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and it's great. It is a rosewood neck and I do notice the fretboard sometimes but it's a tenth of the irritation that the Strat caused me because the frets are so much higher. I would never get another Fender with a rosewood.

I had a Studio before and it had a baked maple board, and while this Les Paul is much nicer sounding and has a better build quality I prefer the maple board on the Studio. Give it a few months and it will be a non issue but I think I'll always prefer maple.

All I'm saying is, you should definitely try the guitars out first.

Also the amp is very important. The Mustang 3 is okay but really with a guitar like the one you're getting a good valve amp would do your tone wonders.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #33
ozgupolat
in prog we trust
 
ozgupolat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Istanbul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Merhaba! I was in Turkey this year. So beautiful, Patara. Which is in Fethiye.

Anyway. Have you played these guitars? The different fretboard can make a lot of difference.

Some people hate rosewood, some hate maple. Some don't mind either.

Personally I'm not a fan of Rosewood. I really notice the contact and it grates on me like fingers on a chalkboard. I actually changed the neck on my rosewood Strat to a maple.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional and it's great. It is a rosewood neck and I do notice the fretboard sometimes but it's a tenth of the irritation that the Strat caused me because the frets are so much higher. I would never get another Fender with a rosewood.

I had a Studio before and it had a baked maple board, and while this Les Paul is much nicer sounding and has a better build quality I prefer the maple board on the Studio. Give it a few months and it will be a non issue but I think I'll always prefer maple.

All I'm saying is, you should definitely try the guitars out first.

Also the amp is very important. The Mustang 3 is okay but really with a guitar like the one you're getting a good valve amp would do your tone wonders.

wope so nice fethiye is really amazin city
nope i didnt try them because there s not really good guitar shops and if you find one and get the try some guitar they wait your near and abuse me like he says me "you gonna break my guitaaarr dont play it" and i hate, anyway so that i dont know whats the diffrence between a classic custom and a traditional
in fact id like to get a custom shop gibson but they are so expensive and i dont know whats their diffrence to gibson standards and traditionals and i need help how are their sounds should i take a traditional or classic custom
ozgupolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 AM   #34
miio
Registered User
 
miio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Seriously dude. Don't buy a guitar that expensive without trying it out first. There's just no point in doing that. Even though Gibson's tend to hold their value well and you could easily sell it for just a little loss if you don't like it. But still, I'd say don't buy that expensive guitar if you can't really try it out first.
miio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #35
ozgupolat
in prog we trust
 
ozgupolat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Istanbul
are there any classic custom users ??
ozgupolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #36
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
You need to tell these stores to let you try them. It seems ridiculous that you cannot.

Tell them you're going to be buying and if they don't let you play them you'll go to the other shop where they DO let you try before you buy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #37
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgupolat
are there any classic custom users ??

I've played them. They are the shit.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #38
ozgupolat
in prog we trust
 
ozgupolat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Istanbul
Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
I've played them. They are the shit.

why you trollin ?
ozgupolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #39
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...
 
T00DEEPBLUE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Dungeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgupolat
why you trollin ?

To describe something as 'the shit' means that said thing is excellent and that you should buy one right now before i buy it off you.
__________________
Whoever reads this in Snape's voice gives 10 points to Slytherin.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore
 
randomguy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Yeah, the classic custom seems a good choice.
Mustangs aren't known for great distortion-they have stellar cleans but the distortion leaves a lot to be desired IMO (i have a mustang 1)
Go for a 6505+, a vyper tube or maybe even a jet city.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.