Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Need some help with speaker Ohms

I'm getting two WSG Retro 30's for Christmas to put in my JCA24S. The cab is rated at 8ohms, but idr what the speakers are. However, Would I be able to buy 16ohm replacements and be fine? I'm not that savvy to speaker wiring, and I figured it would be better to ask than try to just figure it out on my own when I'm only half-informed.

The reason I want 16ohm speakers is that I want to get a cab later from Whitebox that's a 4x12 with V30's and K-100's in an X pattern, and I want to be able to swap these for the V30's if I want to, or even the K-100's if I don't like them. Basically, I want all of my speakers to be able to work together, so that my combinations aren't limited at all.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
I'm getting two WSG Retro 30's for Christmas to put in my JCA24S. The cab is rated at 8ohms, but idr what the speakers are. However, Would I be able to buy 16ohm replacements and be fine? I'm not that savvy to speaker wiring, and I figured it would be better to ask than try to just figure it out on my own when I'm only half-informed.

The reason I want 16ohm speakers is that I want to get a cab later from Whitebox that's a 4x12 with V30's and K-100's in an X pattern, and I want to be able to swap these for the V30's if I want to, or even the K-100's if I don't like them. Basically, I want all of my speakers to be able to work together, so that my combinations aren't limited at all.

2 16ohm speaker run in parallel makes 8 ohms.

Good choice.

If you pull the old speaker out and they are 4 ohm then it was run in series and you will have to make it parallel. If they are 16 then hook them up the same way you removed them.

Last edited by R45VT : 12-08-2012 at 11:23 PM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

I will add that I had a great experience with WGS on my recent order from them. Speakers are well packaged, they arrived a day early and tracking numbers were sent via e-mail.

No delay in processing the order either. No complaints and I will not hesitate to order from them again.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #4
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

I'd be very surprised if they were two 4 ohm speakers in series. Very surprised indeed.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'd be very surprised if they were two 4 ohm speakers in series. Very surprised indeed.

I would be as well. I just included it as precautionary. No need to end up with a 32 ohm speaker set-up.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

No - unless you were gonna run it on top of a 4x12 to make a 6x12. 32 is ideal for that.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Alesis Quadraverb

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

far as i'm aware the stock JCA speakers are 16 ohm. I seem to remember seeing that on them. And I seem to remember the stereo option is 16 ohms.

http://www.jetcityamplification.com...09/29/jca24s-2/

so yeah, 16 ohm speakers will be fine. you'll have 8 ohms overall impedance since it's wired in parallel.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Thanks guys!

I figured it would be fine, but I didn't want to end up with a 32ohm cab just because I didn't ask

My cab is stereo (although I don't use it) and I'm pretty sure the stereo option is indeed 16ohms. I hadn't thought to just use that. I forget the thing can even do stereo most of the time because I have tape over the other jack and the switch so that I don't use them on accident in the rush of setting up.

I'm placing the order now, though. I'm pretty excited for Christmas now
Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
A) However, Would I be able to buy 16ohm replacements and be fine? I'm not that savvy to speaker wiring

B)The reason I want 16ohm speakers is that I want to get a cab later from Whitebox that's a 4x12 with V30's and K-100's in an X pattern, and I want to be able to swap these for the V30's if I want to, or even the K-100's if I don't like them. Basically, I want all of my speakers to be able to work together, so that my combinations aren't limited at all.

A) the jet city should be running two 16 ohms speakers in parallel in that cab. it should be direct replacement, and still be rated at 8 ohms

B)i would double check that whitebox cab. it is pretty rare to have anything but 8 ohm G12K-100's (for some reason they just don't offer the 16 ohm versions).

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ good spot (the g12k100) gumbi

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ good spot (the g12k100) gumbi

you were the one who actually tipped me off on that.

-ae
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

excellent.

er....

Quote:
Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I had actually thought that they only came in 16, but I think I switched it around with V30's being more common in 16 and K100s not coming in 16.

Luckily, I haven't oredered them because banks aren't open on Sunday to deposit my money

If I go with 8, then that'll make it a 4ohm cab. Would someone be willing to enlighten me on how to change my cab to series to get 16ohms out of it? I don't NEED to, but what I've gathered, it sounds better to use the highest rating your amp can take, so I would prefer the 16.

If you guys don't think there's any difference, though, then I probably won't bother. Having it be 4ohms WOULD ruin any stereo possibilities with it, but I haven't had any use for that yet.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
If I go with 8, then that'll make it a 4ohm cab. Would someone be willing to enlighten me on how to change my cab to series to get 16ohms out of it? I don't NEED to, but what I've gathered, it sounds better to use the highest rating your amp can take, so I would prefer the 16.

if i were ordering a cabinet, i'd just see if they could wire it in series instead, if that is what you want. it is really not a big deal for them most likely.

if they don't wanna wire your cab in series, then doing it yourself is really simple too. you'd go to radio shack and get some speaker connectors and speaker cable (you'll also want wire strippers and pliers too if you don't have them).

then you may have to make an extra cable with the connectors and wire and then you'd wire it to look like the top wiring here:

Quote:
If you guys don't think there's any difference, though, then I probably won't bother. Having it be 4ohms WOULD ruin any stereo possibilities with it, but I haven't had any use for that yet.

there probably won't be a dramatic difference to tell truth. the difference between an 4 ohm and a 16 ohm tap on a transformers just deals with wire windings the signal goes through.

i have heard you get a bit more low end on the 4 ohm setting and less low end on the 16 ohm setting.

-ae
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I'm replacing the speakers in my JCA24S, not ordering one. Cab wiring is pretty damn simple, though, so I should have no issues converting it, should I so wish.

I'm gonna take a look inside my cab here in a few and see if it uses connectors or solder and look at the speakers to get an idea of what I'm gonna have myself into on xmas morning, dropping new speakers in sitting in my mom's living room
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #16
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Okay, I opened the cab to see what I was up against.

First off, I have 2 questions:

1.) Can someone get me a link to the connectors and wire I'll need for this, so I know exactly what I'm looking for if I go out or buy online?

2.) Can I change the wiring of this can without a different jack plate? That one is PCB stuff, which isn't what I was expecting, but in all fairness, I've never opened a cab before this one.

Then, what are your thoughts on the quality of all of the components used here?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
I had actually thought that they only came in 16, but I think I switched it around with V30's being more common in 16 and K100s not coming in 16.

Luckily, I haven't oredered them because banks aren't open on Sunday to deposit my money

personally i'd just take the easy way out and let it be a 4 ohm cab. You're pretty much giving yourself work for nothing, if you ask me. Plus, arguably parallel wiring is safer because if one speaker fails the amp still sees a load.

i tried one of my other cabs which has a series/parallel switch on 16 and 4 ohms, and while i think there was a very slight difference, it was incredibly subtle, and well within "am i just imagining that?" levels.

Plus if you go with the 4 ohm cab, you have stereo capability. you may never use it but you might as well have the option, kind of thing.

EDIT: yeah yours uses spades like mine. if you'd asked you'd have saved yourself the bother of opening the thing

er....

Quote:

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
personally i'd just take the easy way out and let it be a 4 ohm cab. You're pretty much giving yourself work for nothing, if you ask me. Plus, arguably parallel wiring is safer because if one speaker fails the amp still sees a load.

i tried one of my other cabs which has a series/parallel switch on 16 and 4 ohms, and while i think there was a very slight difference, it was incredibly subtle, and well within "am i just imagining that?" levels.

Plus if you go with the 4 ohm cab, you have stereo capability. you may never use it but you might as well have the option, kind of thing.

EDIT: yeah yours uses spades like mine. if you'd asked you'd have saved yourself the bother of opening the thing

That's probably what I'll do at this point. I didn't expect it to be that complicated

I honestly wasn't sure of any difference, and I suspected snake oil, but you can never be too sure. In case you're in the know on this, is there a difference in sound between front-loaded or rear-loaded speaker cabs? I was reading on another forum sonthing about how they didn't like rear-loaded K-100's but front loaded was okay, which made very little sense to me. I mean, this doesn't apply here, I was just wondering while on the topic.

Is the only point of a stereo cab to be able to use two heads at once? I've honestly never understood the point.

Honestly, I opened it so that I wouldn't have any surprises. I just wanted to know what to expect to see when I go to put those in and be prepared. How do spade connectors work? Can I just pull those off of the JCA speakers, unscrew the speakers, screw the new ones in, and reconnect? Is it that simple? Also, the speakers only have 4 screws actually used around them, so every hole isn't in use. Is that good or bad?

Sorry for all of these questions I'm just curious about this stuff. I might get crazy and make my own cab at some point, so this is all good info to have.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Yeah stereo is for 2 heads at once. Either stereo operation(flanger chorus) or having your other guitarist use the other 2x12.

Make sure to save your original speakers- when you go to sell the cab just slap them back in there.

And yes you can just pull the connectors off, swap the speakers and reconnect. No solder needed.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Yeah stereo is for 2 heads at once. Either stereo operation(flanger chorus) or having your other guitarist use the other 2x12.

Make sure to save your original speakers- when you go to sell the cab just slap them back in there.

And yes you can just pull the connectors off, swap the speakers and reconnect. No solder needed.

I figured. I just don't see a whole lot of point in using stereo on a single 2x12

Oh, without a doubt.

Awesome. That makes my life easier, and I like easier. Do I need to buy anything at all, then?

Rate This Thread: