Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Right, well if weight and size is also an issue to be fixed then that really cuts the field down. Yes, I have played with a Super 60, and in the grand scheme of things it's not that heavy or large an amp, so if that's already too big for you then this is going to become a real mission. The Super's only a 1x12", it's not like combos or head+cabs come much smaller...

Only thing I can think of that can cover all the ground you originally mentioned, is easy to carry about and is within your budget is a Carvin V3M, then get a small cab like a 1x12" or maybe a 2x10", something like that. They're mostly geared towards an American response and high-gain tones, but the clean channel actually has a lot of options to it and you can always dial in more mids, less presence and less gain on the distorted channels. There's a good 20+ minute demo of it through various settings and styles of playing on youtube (you'll need to search it, been weeks since I watched it, god knows what the direct url is).

Or again, the Line 6 DT series. They're a little bigger than the Carvin, but still smaller than most equivalent combos and heads from other companies.

Between the range of sounds you're after, your budget and the size issue, you're really not leaving yourself with many options. I really would stress you consider going for the clean amp + pedals route, because trying to that wide a range of tones just from one amp alone is basically not going to happen.
Jazz to hard rock in a comfortable size for a medium budget simply does not exist. If it did, everybody would use whatever it was and nobody would buy anything else ever You need to make a compromise somewhere, whether that's in the technology of the amp, waiting to save and increase your budget, or relying on pedals to generate some of the tones.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #22
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

No gigging musician should be without a decent trolley/dolly/cart. There's always something that you will need it for.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #23
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0

I thought you were completely kidding in the first response, then I read the second one

That's great...

See, over here in the States, we usually call them Dolley or just Cart

Silly language dialects.

I never kid.

That was a joke.

I'm probably gonna call my guitar shop, see what they can do for me, and what they have based on some recommendations.

I'd like a head and cab but I'm not sure if I can get something that great in the price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Ok. The weight will give. One of the guys uses a cart thingy.

I like to have an amp that does the tone pure, with pedals to deliver other stuff. The amp IS the pedal... Have I just blown your mind?

Anyway, Mr/Dr. Fibble, how did you find the 60?

What about this?

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/marshall...fier-combo.html

I can get Jazzy tones with some tone rolled off and a chorus pedal. I'm looking for versatility, mainly its all about Hendrix to Slash tone. So blues to heavier stuff. But with a nice clean.

I hope that's a bit easier.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-10-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

oh nevermind, now I know what you mean haha.

I suggest you look into the JCM2000 series DSL heads. far better than the TSL IMO.

Last edited by ihartfood : 12-10-2012 at 08:00 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

What about the combo?

Quote:

Old 12-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

This one specifically. http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/elect...CFU3HtAodoEwAgQ

I'm aware the wattage is lower than my current main amp, but the Super doesn't go that loud on the clean so it's probably better anyway.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-10-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #28
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I played the DSL15H yesterday. I was pretty impressed.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #29
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

you didn't find it to be an annoying fizzy mess? huh. yours may have had nice tubes.

Just a thought TS, you may order that DSL from a place with a decent return policy and retube it, see how it sounds. might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by ihartfood : 12-10-2012 at 10:05 PM.
ihartfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #30
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

It had a bit of that DSL fizz. I didn't check the tube compliment. It was through a Mesa 112 cab as that is the way it was set up in the loud room.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #31
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

granted the one I tried was the 100 at a GC-ish volume, but I did get it up to about 4 on the master when the guy wasn't looking. through a PPC212. meh.

I'd still like to see what he thinks of the DSL40c with new toobs.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #32
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
It had a bit of that DSL fizz. I didn't check the tube compliment. It was through a Mesa 112 cab as that is the way it was set up in the loud room.

I scored an 85th Ann a few weeks back and it looks and sounds like a DSL50; so, I suppose it's just a re-badged DSL50, yea?

It didn't/doesn't have the fizz you mention. If anything, I noticed this fizz with the Rivera KR100/KR7 at low volumes, which I rarely do anyway.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #33
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I'd be ordering the combo version. But I don't want any hassle to be honest .

If there's a known issue with this product I'll stay away. It can be quite hard to fully test amps in the shop and that's the kind of issue you find after a couple of weeks at home.

Is it only the head or the combo version too?

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-11-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #34
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Yeah, the 85th birthday is a DSL. They're all 50W'ers aren't they?
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:28 AM   #35
chatterbox272

So what I'm getting here is that you want something lighter, but it must be bigger and still use the older, heavier technology. And you want something versatile, but you don't like the most versatile options around.
I can't see you getting a particularly louder amp without it getting heavier unless you go solid state (or at least hybrid), because let's face it, tube amps are HEAVY. I don't mean to attack you but have you actually tried many modellers? I just ask because I've seen people turn their noses up at an Axe-FX because when they started they had a bad experience with a spider .
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #36
evmac
Baroness Lover

To me, your interests scream an HD 500 or Axe-FX. Vypyr tube might be a good option too.
evmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #37
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
So what I'm getting here is that you want something lighter, but it must be bigger and still use the older, heavier technology. And you want something versatile, but you don't like the most versatile options around.
I can't see you getting a particularly louder amp without it getting heavier unless you go solid state (or at least hybrid), because let's face it, tube amps are HEAVY. I don't mean to attack you but have you actually tried many modellers? I just ask because I've seen people turn their noses up at an Axe-FX because when they started they had a bad experience with a spider .

No the point is the clean channel on my current amp isn't very loud. It's an issue with this amp. The gain is a fine volume but it's not amazing sounding and the loudness of it doesn't scale with the quietness of the clean. I'm not bothered about the weight as such, it's just mine seems a lot heavier than other amps I've had.

I had a mustang 3. I'm not a fan. My factors are these.

Combo.

Great cleans.

Great gain.

Blues to slash like tones.

Seems to me I want a good Marshall. But which one? The new DSL 40 has mixed reviews and older Marshalls aren't my field of expertise.

Quote:

Old 12-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #38
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Tw...r_Amplifiers_RL

Maybe a twin reverb would give me the gain that I'm after that I couldn't get with the Super? It has the clean, has a good bluesy overdrive and 2/3 is a good compromise.

Quote:

Old 12-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #39
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Twin Reverb will give you more volume in the cleans but it really does not have the gain required for even Hendrix (not without boosting it and getting a maxed-out fizzy tone) style tones, let alone Slash-style tones.

Skip the DSL40C, it's just a crapper DSL401 that Marshall is peddling at the same price even though it clearly must cost less to make. The tones on the new DSLs are slightly harsher, almost closer to an Orange on the gain channel and a little solid state-ish on the cleans. It also doesn't have an option for a completely clean tone, the 'classic' channell on it is like the clean channel on the older DSLs with the 'pushed' switch on and the gain perminantly higher. The only way to run them totally clean is if you set the gain to absolutely nothing, and then it's going to cripple the dynamics. The distortion channel is also locked to the super-boosted 'lead 2' option of the other DSLs.
The DSL401 costs barely any more and simply sounds better, or at least it is closer to the classic Marshall sound, which is what you seem to be after (jazz aside). The only thing the 40C does which may be selling points are the options to cut its power output in half and the change from a set 'deep' switch to a variable resonance control. Other than that, the DLS401 gives you more options, more range and a better sound. If you're going to go for a Marshall combo then that's the one to go for.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #40
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Twin Reverb will give you more volume in the cleans but it really does not have the gain required for even Hendrix (not without boosting it and getting a maxed-out fizzy tone) style tones, let alone Slash-style tones.

Skip the DSL40C, it's just a crapper DSL401 that Marshall is peddling at the same price even though it clearly must cost less to make. The tones on the new DSLs are slightly harsher, almost closer to an Orange on the gain channel and a little solid state-ish on the cleans. It also doesn't have an option for a completely clean tone, the 'classic' channell on it is like the clean channel on the older DSLs with the 'pushed' switch on and the gain perminantly higher. The only way to run them totally clean is if you set the gain to absolutely nothing, and then it's going to cripple the dynamics. The distortion channel is also locked to the super-boosted 'lead 2' option of the other DSLs.
The DSL401 costs barely any more and simply sounds better, or at least it is closer to the classic Marshall sound, which is what you seem to be after (jazz aside). The only thing the 40C does which may be selling points are the options to cut its power output in half and the change from a set 'deep' switch to a variable resonance control. Other than that, the DLS401 gives you more options, more range and a better sound. If you're going to go for a Marshall combo then that's the one to go for.

Ok **** it. I'll do it. I'll find a store and try one out.

Would you say that's an upgrade from the Super?

Quote:

Rate This Thread: