Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Question about my crate V33 combo

So I've had this amp for a while, It's all tube with the 12ax7 preamp tubes and 6l6 (maybe 6v6?) outputs. Its the Ac30 copy. Now when im practicing at home i wanna use my digitech screamin blues to push it into natural distortion with the preamp set to about the 10' o clock position and the pedals level knob around the 2:30 and gain at about 7:00. The problem is there's no master volume for the output tubes and my neighbors are starting to hate me, so how can i keep it under control in practice situations?
ZepJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

looks like it has a master volume to me... also looks like it has el84s (unless you have a different one from the current model, i just went to the crate website).

you're aware that using a boost pushes the preamp tubes harder, not the power amp tubes, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Yah, I can take a picture but im looking at it right now and the knobs go

(Volume (clean channel)). (Channel switch(don't use, natural FTW!)). (Gain). (level(Overdrivven channel)). (treble). (middle). (Bass). (Boost switch (Always on, controlled by footswitch)). (Reverb). (Standby). (power). And I swapped the power tubes out when i got the amp, i didn't like the EL84s. And I'm aware the pedals push the preamp, But it gets an insane amount of boost in volume when i hit the boost, even though when i turn the clean volume on the amp, it doesnt get any louder, just more distorted after about the 10' o clock position.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah right i see now what you mean, you're using the clean channel and it doesn't have a master volume. sorry about that.

yeah if you use a boost and the amp is set clean then it's going to give you a volume, not a distortion, boost. you can either switch to your overdrive channel and rely on preamp tube distortion (if you boost an overdriven tone, the volume won't increase much), or consider an attenuator or getting power scaling fitted to your amp (to be brutally honest, it's probably not worth the cost to do either of those).

just out of interest- how did you swap from el84s to 6v6s/6L6es? they have different pin layouts (not to mention a different number of pins), surely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

I paid a dude to do it, I have no idea how to do anything but replace the preamp tubes. Once i got the that point and learned about biasing and all that shit i kinda just quit and gave some dude my money.

Last edited by ZepJunkie : 12-10-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Roc8995

Unless you paid him several hundred dollars he just put a different brand of EL84 in there.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Geuss I've got some new EL84's then, haha.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Way Cool JR.
The 'L80s Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepJunkie
I paid a dude to do it, I have no idea how to do anything but replace the preamp tubes. Once i got the that point and learned about biasing and all that shit i kinda just quit and gave some dude my money.

You don't bias any of the tubes in the V33 It's just plug and play for the pre-amp and the power tubes.

Also use the gain channel if you want to use your pedal to push it into breakup easier at lower volume levels. Just turn up the gain where it still sounds fairly clean or just before the point of breakup. Then use your boost pedal to push it the rest of the way and then use the master volume to adjust how loud it is overall.

The V33 is a loud ass amp even at volume 1. My windows and everything in my room rattle at 1.5 LOL. If the gain channel is to dark sounding for your liking then just run an EQ pedal in the loop to help brighten it up some.

Last edited by Way Cool JR. : 12-10-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Way Cool JR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
ZepJunkie
Strataholic

Dark isn't exactly a problem, as I'm a strat guy, but I hear yah, its wayyyyy too loud for a 30 watt.

Rate This Thread: