Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Templar0220

Do I need to adjust my truss rod?

I just took 13-60 strings off of one of my guitar that was set to six string B-standard tuning and put 11-53 on it to be played in D standard. I adjusted the action and intonation but Im not sure if I have to do anything to the truss rod? Im no where near an expert with this stuff and Im not entirely too sure what to look for. I look down the neck and I dont think id be able to tell if there were a problem. I mean it looks straight with a slight curve (of which ive been told is supposed to be there) so im not sure if I should just leave it or what. Any advice?
Templar0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

If you can't tell a problem, you're probably okay. With one hand fret the low E at the first fret, and with the other hand fret the 12th. There should be only the tiniest of margins between the string and the frets in the middle. You can then test it while still fretting the 1st and 12th, by tapping as close to the middle as you can. I can get to about the 8th fret I think. You should be able to tap it, but barely. If it's already resting on the frets, or there's a big gap, it needs adjusting.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Templar0220

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas38
If you can't tell a problem, you're probably okay. With one hand fret the low E at the first fret, and with the other hand fret the 12th. There should be only the tiniest of margins between the string and the frets in the middle. You can then test it while still fretting the 1st and 12th, by tapping as close to the middle as you can. I can get to about the 8th fret I think. You should be able to tap it, but barely. If it's already resting on the frets, or there's a big gap, it needs adjusting.

Ok I did this and the string is barely above the fret. Like very slightly above it. Is this ok?
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I would think going from 13s to 11s would actually improve the action. If none of the strings are so low they're buzzing and you're diggin' the action then you're good to go.
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #5
tas38
UG's Michael Westen

That sounds perfect. Try it again in a couple days though. I've HEARD of necks adjusting slowly from string changes. So just to be safe, do the same test again in a couple days. But for now, you're all good.
tas38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
Templar0220

Thank you very much, that was helpful. Looking at it again, it seems like the gap is SO slight that I honestly cant entirely tell. When I tap it it does go move down a bit but im not sure if i can fit anything between the fret and the string. It doesnt sound bad or anything but I dont want to ruin my neck and its a set thru

Last edited by Templar0220 : 12-12-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Rate This Thread: