Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

What do you think of functional ear trainer ?

Hey buddies, I finally started using that software called ''functional ear trainer'' and I was wondering if it was as effective as it says it is. So far I enjoy the lessons on it, they are easy and interesting, the reader is never overloaded with information, so its relaxing at the same time.

This feels a little too good, so I'd like to ask you guys to rate it, on a scale (no pun intended) of 1 to 10, on its usefulness in improving the universal ear.

Thank you

Sincerely, an ex-noob.
yoyoloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

inb4 hotspurjr
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
EmilGD
Unregistered User

Been using it for like a couple of months and have had significant improvement. Still got a long way to go though, and the rate of improvement seems to slow down as exercises get harder, obviously.
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Okay so it does get harder, good to know
Old 12-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
EmilGD
Unregistered User

Unless your relative pitch is top notch, you should be challenged at some point.
EmilGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoloto
Hey buddies, I finally started using that software called ''functional ear trainer'' and I was wondering if it was as effective as it says it is. So far I enjoy the lessons on it, they are easy and interesting, the reader is never overloaded with information, so its relaxing at the same time.

This feels a little too good, so I'd like to ask you guys to rate it, on a scale (no pun intended) of 1 to 10, on its usefulness in improving the universal ear.

Thank you

Sincerely, an ex-noob.

It's limited as it only teaches you to recognize tones over the I or i in a key, after the cadence.

That's it.

Great, so you can now recognize 3rds and 7ths as it relates to the I or i.

Now record a ii - V - I. Can you land on the 3rd and or 7th of EACH chord every time, as the progression loops round? In different octaves, all areas of the fretboard?

Exactly. All the functional trainer does is teach you intervals from one point, every time. There's no traveling around to different chords.

Sure, the exercises change key, thus not letting your ear have time to "rest" on said tonic. But that's all.

I eventually downloaded it cuz there was so much hype about it on this forum. Nothing special.

Last edited by mdc : 12-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

^ I tend to agree. I downloaded it recently too and there's definitely value there, but I'm not sure it's worth dedicating a tonne of time to. I mean, it's a pretty decent way to start and I think it's probably great to do initially in conjunction with interval recognition, but after that, I'm not too sure if it's the best way to go.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
HotspurJr

I strongly disagree with MDC. (Shocker, huh?)

I've found in practice that this isn't about intervals. It's about hearing notes in context.

So yes, I can say that over chords changes, when you hear the context, it has helped me. Because I'm not identifying the interval - I'm identifying the scale degree. And the scale degree is the scale degree, whether or not the chord is current a ii or V or anything else.

It has made a huge difference for me. It's hard for me to overstate how much.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #9
mdc
UG's Mr Chord Man

I strongly disagree to agree to disagree. I feel like I'm filling out a college questionnaire or something.

I also strongly recommend the eBook found under the resources tab on this site.

Not free, but a great ear trainer, and teacher of mine.

I also VERY STRONGLY recommend the ancient art that be transcribing.

A lot.

Last edited by mdc : 12-11-2012 at 02:29 PM.
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc

Well, I can agree with that.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
I strongly disagree to agree to disagree. I feel like I'm filling out a college questionnaire or something.

I also strongly recommend the eBook found under the resources tab on this site.

Not free, but a great ear trainer, and teacher of mine.

A lot.

Oh I do transcribe, pretty good at it too, I was hoping that somebody would be against the software and help me find something better, you just did that sir.

I will finish studying the lessons on FET, then take it to the next level.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

to be honest, i downloaded it and i was able to muscle my way through it the first time around. keep in mind, though, that i already had a pretty good ear before downloading it.

i would have liked to see a bit more challenge, because the most advanced thing you'll learn from it is how to identify all 12 notes in relation to the tonic.

don't get me wrong, that is an extremely good skill to possess, and i think it's absolutely necessary (not to mention it makes playing so much easier), but there are more advanced concepts.

ultimately, it's a free resource, and it does its job damn well for one. if you can't get through it first shot and it challenges you at some point, i highly recommend using it. it's an excellent way to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Matt.Guitar

Exactly what AeolianWolf just said.
I smashed 100% at all levels on the functional ear trainer - but my aural perception is well developed after many years of TRANSCRIBING and PRACTICE.
Matt.Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Alrighty, no one rated the software on 1-10 but its ok, good feedback anyway

EDIT : By the way, I would average around 80% on the interval trainer on the musictheory website, how well should I do on the FET ?

EDIT2: Forget it, I'm starting to find it hard.

Last edited by yoyoloto : 12-11-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.Guitar
Exactly what AeolianWolf just said.
I smashed 100% at all levels on the functional ear trainer - but my aural perception is well developed after many years of TRANSCRIBING and PRACTICE.

Yeah. I had a pretty crappy ear when I started using it and even basic transcription was hard for me. I was putting a lot of work into ear practice and transcribing and not happy with my results. As I think I've written before, I was even very good at interval recognition and it was doing me almost no good when it came to trying to apply it in practice.

What I feel like the FET did was give me a grounding that made everything else easier. It's no substitute for transcribing, but really kind of a stepping stone to transcribing.

I would say it's like studying the alphabet. Studying the alphabet isn't going to teach you how to spell complicated words, and it's not going to teach you how to write sophisticated sentences ... but if you don't know your alphabet, then either of those other tasks is going to be almost impossible.

Rate This Thread: