Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Axle1

Bridge sunk in Floyd Rose 1000 Series Bridge problem

Hey everyone, im having a problem with my Ltd Bs-7. I'm getting ridiculous amounts of fret buzz on the low B and E, to the point where from 1-24th fret will just buzz out completely. I've tried giving more relief from the floyd and untightening the screws, but i'm worried that if i untighten it anymore the screws will fall out. Can anyone help with this ?

All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Axle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 AM   #2
jeffmetalhead
Atheist Metalhead Skeptic

You're gonna have to raise the floyd to get a better action
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Axle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmetalhead
You're gonna have to raise the floyd to get a better action

Lol... yeah i know, but how do i raise it, do i unscrew the screw more or ?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Did you check the neck?

If buzz suddenly appears, don't touch the bridge. Check the neck first.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #5
jeffmetalhead

Yeah unscrew each of the floyd pivot posts or just the lower one to adjust the height of the thinner strings
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #6
Axle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
Did you check the neck?

The necks straight.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle1
The necks straight.

And how did you gather that? Did you just eyeball it, or did use the first/last fret technique? You don't want it perfectly straight, either.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Axle1

Quote:
And how did you gather that? Did you just eyeball it, or did use the first/last fret technique? You don't want it perfectly straight, either.

i don't know what the first last fret technique is, i just eyeballed it. is there any other way to do it ?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #9
jeffmetalhead

Quote:
Did you check the neck?

That would be the last thing to check IMO. I'd check...

What kind of buzz it is ie string, spring rattle, or loose nut/screw/backing plate rattle
If it is tune
Locking nuts are tight
Bridge height and level
and then neck adjustment
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

I don't mean to be rude but I would take it to a pro and get them to set it up properly. Then do some research on how to set it up properly.

You don't seem to know how trems work so it's probably best to have a safer than sorry attitude in this example n

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
jeffmetalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
I don't mean to be rude but I would take it to a pro and get them to set it up properly. Then do some research on how to set it up properly.

You don't seem to know how trems work so it's probably best to have a safer than sorry attitude in this example n

Sod that! Everyone overcharges. Trial and error is the best way to learn and is how I learned. Don't be scared you won't destroy your guitar or floyd by adjusting it where you are supposed to adjust the damn thing.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
Axle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0

No one sets it up the way i want it. So thats completely out of the picture.

What kind of buzz it is ie string, spring rattle, or loose nut/screw/backing plate rattle
If it is tune
Locking nuts are tight
Bridge height and level
and then neck adjustment[/QUOTE]

Its string buzz
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
jeffmetalhead

Well start adjusting the string height and get back to us.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Judging from the first picture, I'd say you still have a fair bit of screw left to play with.

I suggest doing a restring. When problems pop up, it's usually very helpful to just start fresh instead of continuing to toil in the offending parts.

Also you might want to remove a spring so you only have 3. That will help a ton if you you're having trouble raising it to level.

And yeah, raise your action. That is adjusted via the posts the bridge is resting against on the top of the body.

Read through this. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=614226

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
No one sets it up the way i want it. So thats completely out of the picture.

So you set it up that it'll buzz? Sorry, but you're just saying that no one sets it up the way you want and then you can't set it up yourself. You can always tell the luthier who is setting it up that how high you want the strings and so on. If there is no luthier like that, move to my place. The luthier at the store near me always asked how I wanted the guitar to be set up. Now that he knows what it is like, I don't even need to tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Judging from the first picture, I'd say you still have a fair bit of screw left to play with.

I suggest doing a restring. When problems pop up, it's usually very helpful to just start fresh instead of continuing to toil in the offending parts.

Also you might want to remove a spring so you only have 3. That will help a ton if you you're having trouble raising it to level.

And yeah, raise your action. That is adjusted via the posts the bridge is resting against on the top of the body.

Read through this. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=614226

However, this is something that I also recommend you to do.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke : 12-11-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
Axle1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakke
So you set it up that it'll buzz? Sorry, but you're just saying that no one sets it up the way you want and then you can't set it up yourself. You can always tell the luthier who is setting it up that how high you want the strings and so on. If there is no luthier like that, move to my place. The luthier at the store near me always asked how I wanted the guitar to be set up. Now that he knows what it is like, I don't even need to tell.

However, this is something that I also recommend you to do.

I meant that no one sets it up with the action as i want it, the last guy who set it up moved and most of the people here set it up with higher action. I know i can't set it up myself, hence why i am asking the question. All of the people i've taken it to me have asked me that same question, but never seem to actually do the job right. I never said i was "better" than anyone, i just want the action like it was, thats it.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
I meant that no one sets it up with the action as i want it, the last guy who set it up moved and most of the people here set it up with higher action. I know i can't set it up myself, hence why i am asking the question. All of the people i've taken it to me have asked me that same question, but never seem to actually do the job right. I never said i was "better" than anyone, i just want the action like it was, thats it.

Never did I state that you think you are. If you're taking it to a tech, say that you want the action as low as there is no fret buzz. If you don't like it, then raise it a bit higher and so on. I had to try multiple setups before finding my own. I like the action fairly high.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
zefs

When did it start to buzz? Meaning it was fine but you did an adjustment and then it started?
zefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #19
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmetalhead
That would be the last thing to check IMO. I'd check...

If it is tune
Locking nuts are tight
Bridge height and level
and then neck adjustment

The neck is only part of the guitar that moves on its own, that is why you check it first.

Last edited by TunerAddict : 12-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #20
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

If you insist on doing it yourself, here is what you need to do to balance the bridge at the correct height:
  • Insert a piece of wood or other hard material behind the bridge to block it off while you remove it.
  • Remove the strings.
  • Remove the main bridge unit from the guitar so that only the posts and spring claw are left in.
  • Use an allen key to raise the bridge posts; somewhere between a half turn and one and a half turns counter-clockwise should be enough.
  • Reattach the bridge. Check that the bottom of the bridge's base plate can rest completely level with the top of the guitar; no part of it should be dipped below, or raised above, the guitar's top.
  • After restringing and tuning, make sure the bridge stays flat, in line with the guitar's top. If it is tilting backwards at all, lessen the spring tension. If it is pulling forward, increase spring tension.

And to correct the neck:
  • With the bridge at the correct height and the guitar strung and set to your most frequently-used tuning, put a capo across the first fret.
  • If your guitar has a set neck or neck-through design, fret the 6th string at the 17th fret. If your guitar has a bolt-on neck then fret the string at the second-last fret.
  • Look at the gap between the bottom of the 6th string and the top of the fret wire at the 5th-8th frets. There should be enough room for the string to completely clear those frets while vibrating; an easy test is to see if you can fit a pick between the string and fret wire without it being pinched in place. Larger string gauges need more room.
  • If there isn't much room between the bottom of the string and the top of the fet wire, you need to slacken the truss rod to add relief. If there is a lot of room betwen the string and fret, you need to tighten the truss rod to straighten the neck. Adjust the truss rod as necessary, remembering to keep to small, slow adjustments, giving the neck time to settle between each quarter- or eighth-turn.
  • Retune, rebalance the bridge spring tension.
  • With a capo on the third fret, pick the open strings and make sure there is no or minimal buzz. It actually is normal for there to be some very light buzzing, especially with thick string gauges and Floyd bridges, but so long as most of it is gone then you're okay.
  • Remove the capo and check for buzzing at the first, second and third frets. If there is more buzzing here than there is elsewhere on the neck, you need to shim the locking nut; you can buy Floyd nut shims online, but simply getting a thin piece of plastic, or even cardboard, and cutting it to shape will do just as well.

And if in doubt, take it to a proper tech. A proper tech, not some guy in Guitar Center or whatever. Any experienced lutheir or instrument tech will be able to fix all of this for you and set the guitar up how you want it; many tech won't touch a guitar until you've written down for them how you like your action, very few will presume to know what's best. Yes, it may seem expensive. It is nothing compared to the cost of replacing a guitar you've broken by adjusting it incorrectly.

Rate This Thread: