User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
MaKaToM
Only started in November.

Question Condenser Mic Recommendations?

Hi guys and gals!

I have decided to pick up a USB interface (Line 6 UX2) and a condenser mic to make recording sounds a bit better, as my current webcam just isn't really up to the job.

For the kinda stuff I do, please see here; http://www.youtube.com/user/MrThomasLawton?feature=mhee

As I'm no Jimi Hendrix, I don't feel as though I need the bestest of the bestest best equipment, but I would like something that isn't going to leave me dissapointed.

I am hoping to spend around 100 ($200) on the Mic, so any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Here are 2 mics that I have already seen - http://www.behringer.com/FR/Products/B-1.aspx and I can't find the second...bugger!

Anyways, I honestly know nothing at all about this so any and all help would be superb!

Thank you

Tom

Last edited by MaKaToM : 12-11-2012 at 01:23 PM.
MaKaToM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
chaosmoon

What will you be recording and what style of music? Also, any particular reason why you're looking specifically for a condenser mic?
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
archtek

Definitely depends on what you want to record, I might consider this one if i was you, haven't personally used it on guitars but it's not a bad little mic. I've used for overheads for drums (thats my personal experience with them) but akg stuff is pretty good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-C-1000-...5241971&sr=8-15
archtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
SharpSpoon
♪"Sometimes I just

I was just about to make a thread asking this very question. My current setup is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, a bunch of amp sim VSTs, and a Samson Go Mic (USB) for vocals.

I'm curious about a condenser mic as well. I guess something comparable to the Shure SM57 in terms of what could be considered an industry standard. I'd be recording both harsh and clean vocals on it.

My budget would be around $150.

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread haha.

SharpSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Necronomicon
UG Relic

My recording setup is an AKG c214 and an m-audio fastrack pro and it sounds fantastic. Vocals, guitar, distorted guitar, everything sounds amazing on it. It's a little pricy but the c214 is the shit. I don't have any recordings I made with it online to show you but if you look it up on youtube you'll definitely get what I'm saying. All my recordings prior to that mic were on a shure sm57 and they just can't compare.

Last edited by Necronomicon : 12-11-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Necronomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:08 PM   #6
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Nearly all LD mics in the $100 dollar range are comprable in audio quality. Construction quality, warranty and the like are usually the real difference though some mics do stand out. The Golden Age Project FC1 in particular stands out to me. I use it for nearly all of my vocal tracks and it's quite durable. If you can stretch a bit, the Audio Technica AT2035 is also a standout.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
MaKaToM

Well my 100 budget for the mic is about $200USD so anything around that really.

If you look at the link I placed in the opening post, you will see what I enjoy recording...just acoustic guitar and vocals really. I'm not a loud harsh rock singer...just a quiet finger picking kinda guy lol

The Audio Technica AT2035 looks nice - More reccommendations in that price range please :-)

THANKS!!
Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Oh didn't even look at the currency, my bad. If you can stretch a teeny weeny bit the Rode NT1A is KILLER. Lowest signal to noise ratio I've ever heard on a "low price" mic.

Check this out. Bare bones demo but it sounds aight.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 12-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
archtek

If your gonna spend like 150 on the audio technica I'd hold out save up a few more quid and get the c214. Its no c414 but bet it sounds good. Rode not sure about them as haven't had any experience with them but did see a few at a demo the NT1-a seemed to have the best sound of all the ones there though.

At the 100 range you gotta be carfeful cos you could spend it get a mic and in 6 months to year you'll end up wanting a 200 mic and be kicking yourself you just wasn't patient. Also I would try demoing a few if possible. Expensive isn't always the best, but some of the cheap ones are rubbish.

This mic is pretty good http://www.amazon.co.uk/sE-Electron...55260492&sr=1-1 but I have found they sometimes sound a little ishy, but you get a good sound out of it.

All sorts of issues can also cause quality issues, like room acoustics, microphone positions, temperature, ambient noise. Condensor microphones will pick all this up a lot more then a dynamic so then acoustic treatment or environment become a problem too.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
archtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpSpoon
I was just about to make a thread asking this very question. My current setup is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, a bunch of amp sim VSTs, and a Samson Go Mic (USB) for vocals.

I'm curious about a condenser mic as well. I guess something comparable to the Shure SM57 in terms of what could be considered an industry standard. I'd be recording both harsh and clean vocals on it.

My budget would be around $150.

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread haha.

You proabably won't get an industry standard condensor for $150. A 57 or 58 would do the job fine and is the industry standard.

You've got the interface get a 57/58 for it to start out with be an improvement then the samson go.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtek
You proabably won't get an industry standard condensor for $150. A 57 or 58 would do the job fine and is the industry standard.

You've got the interface get a 57/58 for it to start out with be an improvement then the samson go.

No. Just no.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
Highelf04
UG's ONLY Batgirl

Gotta ask, if people had an opinion
What is the view on the Behringer B-1?
Is it worth the 66 for things like vocals?

in the balls

LEICESTER CITY

Like us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/ClockHouseBand

Clockhouse is a thing
Find us
Listen to us
Love us
Highelf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
SharpSpoon
♪"Sometimes I just

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtek

The problem is I don't want to use a dynamic mic for recording vocals. As I understand it, a dynamic mic is usually ideal for recording instruments (guitar, drums, etc), but not vocals. For vocals (again, as I understand) a condenser is preferred.

Although a dynamic mic is the common choice for live applications.

I can budge on the price, although $150 would be ideal. Then again, maybe in that price range I'm better off sticking with the Samson Go mic (which is a condenser) until I can afford something a little more pricier than $150.

Any advice is welcome.

SharpSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

The SE Electronics SE2000 is my favourite condenser for under 100.

You can get it for between 70-80, and when I bought mine a few months ago they were all throwing in a free SE metal pop shield for free too. Extremely capable little budget mic.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
MaKaToM

That NT1A looks brilliant and it's only 150!!

Gonna do some research on that and possibly pick it up.

As mentioned above, I'm not a great singer or guitarist so I don't require "great" gear - just the best that I can get for my budget.

Thank you guys!
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #16
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKaToM
That NT1A looks brilliant and it's only 150!!

Gonna do some research on that and possibly pick it up.

As mentioned above, I'm not a great singer or guitarist so I don't require "great" gear - just the best that I can get for my budget.

Thank you guys!

The NT-1A is a nice mic, good pick. I prefer the Studio Projects B1 or SE 2200a, but that's more personal taste than anything.

Most of the budget condenser mics out there will do a great job (even the cheapo Behringer C1 for 30!), go with whatever feels right and have fun.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #17
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Must be in the minority, and it's definitely not a bad mic, but I really was a bit underwhelmed by the Rode NT-1A Probably better than most of the other mics in the price range, but the ADK Thor I ended up getting recently is so much nicer. As for your budget TS - if you can stretch for it, I'd recommend the ADK Odin (little brother of the mic I bought) or the sE 2200.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

are you set 100% on the UX2? the focusrite saffire 6 or 2i4 (not 2i2, you want the pad on the 2i4) are similarly priced and will have better preamps. there are a few other ones, but the focusrite ones are solid and popular.

aside from the mics already mentioned, the at2020 is supposed to be solid. bit on the low end of your price range, so you could probably get something a touch better though. also, dont be afraid of a b-stock item that would normally be a bit above your price range. some of these have nothing more than scratches (though id do this more on the interface than mic).

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Seconding Jof's advice on pres.

Also, I think the UX2 doesn't have phantom power anyway...
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #20
archtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
No. Just no.

lots of info there.

3rd Jofs - focuserite = win.

Concerning the line 6 ux2 it's a pretty nifty piece of kit got one myself, but I wouldn't reccomend it to another person. You cant use the line input and mic at the same time and the amp sims are nice but not great.

The problem really with the ux2 is the software and routing and its not very well thought out.

The focusrite gear looks really good haven't tried any but I'm spying one of these http://uk.focusrite.com/firewire-au...fire-pro-24-dsp as a trade up from the ux2

UX2 does have phantom power, but all the power comes through the usb. This has caused problems with me on a laptop using my midi keyboard at the same time not enough usb power for both. Things with there own powersupply work better then usb powered devices, even though it's less hassle.

Last edited by archtek : 12-12-2012 at 02:39 AM.

Rate This Thread: