Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
ultimum_stella

Most microphones will have to be really good to recreate a sound from your guitar or amp. With that said, you'd probably have to pay a lot more money on buying a good mic. If anything, try a high end condensor mic. But a lot of interfaces are much cheaper and easier to record with. If you do happen to want a cheaper mic, a lot of shure sells good mics. I have the AT2020 and that is pretty good, but by no means tops my interface.
ultimum_stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #22
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I'm going to disagree with you. To say that the 57 and 58 are only suited for electric guitar is totally wrong. Both are also good at vocals. The thing to realize is, that while a 58 may work well for my vocals, it may not work well for yours. Each person has to find that mic that works well for them - that's why studio engineers have a variety of mics to choose from - what works well for one artist may not be the best choice for the next. There are plenty of bands who swear by these mics, even some top acts.

As had been told many a time on this board, but it still doesn't change the fact that 99 times outa 100 the Sm58 isn't the best choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge101
Thoughts on using a USB mixer to record rather than an interface? If say for only recording bass or guitar DI. Not a full drum kit or anything

Bad idea. They are two completely different things, buy an interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #23
chronowarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
As had been told many a time on this board, but it still doesn't change the fact that 99 times outa 100 the Sm58 isn't the best choice.

Bad idea. They are two completely different things, buy an interface.

99 out of 100, i dunno.

IF you have a plethora of high end condensers available, then that might be the case. Unfortunately, most of the condensers that a newbie or anyone spending under 300 is goingto be using ...are going to have a potentially nasty high end, which can be extremely hard to EQ out. On the other hand something like an sm58 is going to give you a super strong mid range sound, and you can always add some high end back into it to add some clarity to the vocal...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #24
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Pretty sure it's harder to add frequencies that aren't there than take away ones that are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #25
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I'm going to disagree with you. To say that the 57 and 58 are only suited for electric guitar is totally wrong. Both are also good at vocals. The thing to realize is, that while a 58 may work well for my vocals, it may not work well for yours. Each person has to find that mic that works well for them - that's why studio engineers have a variety of mics to choose from - what works well for one artist may not be the best choice for the next. There are plenty of bands who swear by these mics, even some top acts.
This is the same argument I see every time and it's completely valid.

However, it's also misleading. Neither is 'good' at vocals - they both work well in specific studio situations.

There are times when a Subkick is perfect on bass drum, but would you recommend buying one instead of a D112? Lord, no - they're far too situational.
And the Royer 121 ribbon can be amazing for capturing the smooth natural warmth of a blues guitar amp, but if you only had one mic to record guitar with you'd go with an SM57/MD421/i5 or something equally versatile.

When dealing with beginners, it's generally better to just tell them the SM57/58 are not suitable for studio vocals.

Just yesterday I saw a guy on Reddit who'd bought an SM57 to do vocals and acoustic guitar, and was upset at the poor results he was getting.
Although they're incredibly handy, durable mics I really think it'd be best if people avoided mentioning them for anything except electric guitar/snare when offering advice.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #26
an epic mistake

Would my money be better spent on a mic that could focus primarily on vocals? Lets take the guitars out of the equation, since they would likely be recorded DI 99% of the time. Can I get a mic that is decent for vocals for about $150 or is that gonna be too little?

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
an epic mistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #27
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by an epic mistake
Would my money be better spent on a mic that could focus primarily on vocals? Lets take the guitars out of the equation, since they would likely be recorded DI 99% of the time. Can I get a mic that is decent for vocals for about $150 or is that gonna be too little?

Yeah, no problem at all. Try the Studio Projects B3, Behringer B2 PRO, Golden Age FC1, Audio Technica AT2035, etc etc.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: