Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
TheLarg

Rockers that use MIM Strats?

I was wondering if any famous musicians, past or present, use a MIM strat at all, playing shows or in the studio. I thought it would be interesting to see if, and who does play one.
TheLarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
ma_tt11
Threadkiller

Ian D'sa of Billy Talent uses one (or at least used to use one) live - in the studio I think he uses a bunch of different guitars though.

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
ma_tt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Amuro Jay
goddess

Famous musicians usually have a lot of money, so they'll buy higher end stuff. It doesn't mean that something like a MIM Strat wouldn't be suitable for the same purpose, though. I mean, bands that are anything less than famous get by on everyday gear, why worry about it?
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
stratman_13
16 ****IN STRENGTH

Why does it matter?

My MIM plays better than a lot of the MIA Strats I've played. With guitars it's about finding the right one, who cares where it was made or what it's made from.

I can stumble drunk over hope and love, or I could just keep drinking until I sober up.

--
stratman_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Well, MIM Strats is a pretty narrow range. I can tell you that tons of famous players have used Fenders with the "Strat" body style. I don't know that any of them really used MIMs though; because they'd favor higher end guitars, like Jetfuel said.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
MinterMan22
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_tt11
Ian D'sa of Billy Talent uses one (or at least used to use one) live - in the studio I think he uses a bunch of different guitars though.

The black one with the red pickguard, right? He got one hell of a tone out of that thing, it's a shame he doesn't use it live anymore (oh well, he's representing Canada on the new one he's been touring with for the past couple of years.) I recall reading somewhere that he records with Deluxe Telecasters.

To TS: Who cares? Aren't the American instruments manufactured in Orange County? That's like an hour away from where they're made in Mexico. You're paying extra for the small little stamp that says "Made in America"

Fuck Dallas
MinterMan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
... Who cares? Aren't the American instruments manufactured in Orange County? That's like an hour away from where they're made in Mexico. You're paying extra for the small little stamp that says "Made in America"

That, and the 2 point trem, and the 22 frets, and the better tuners, and the better electronics, and the better grade wood, and the smoother frets, and the micro tilt neck.

But whatever...

That said, I've been very impressed with the Blacktop Series (MIM); great quality and 22 frets at least.

Also, I've modded a Squier Affinity Strat a bit and now prefer it over my MIA Strat for playing shows and for even for recording.

As for MIM Strats, Kurt Cobain is known for playing them...when he was planning on smashing stuff. Although he did mess up several Mustangs and at least one Jaguar when he was pissed off for real, in addition to a lot of MIM Strats. The longer scale was probably enough to drive him to really motivae him to smash all those Strats, given his short fingers.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 12-12-2012 at 02:42 AM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #8
mtshark
is the bees knees

I remember hearing somewhere that the Claudio Sanchez from Coheed & Cambria used a Fender Blacktop of some sort recently.

EDIT: A Blacktop Jaguar.

Proof:

Last edited by mtshark : 12-12-2012 at 04:03 AM.
mtshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Henry from Los Lonely Boys used one.

Also, if you're wondering about whether or not lower end guitars can be used well, Omar used a squire when he was in At the Drive In.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
MinterMan22
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
That, and the 2 point trem, and the 22 frets, and the better tuners, and the better electronics, and the better grade wood, and the smoother frets, and the micro tilt neck.

But whatever...

Is all that really enough to warrant such a radical increase in price between the Mexican Standards and the American Standards? Besides, a lot of that stuff (especially on Stratocasters) is easily replaced for less than an AM Standard, save for the wood grade (which IIRC isn't that significant of a difference anyway, except on the sunburst/natural/ash-wood models where the wood grain has to show) and number of frets. And this is just my opinion, but the micro-tilt always seemed sort of gimmicky and redundant to me.

Fuck Dallas
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
jetwash69

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
Is all that really enough to warrant such a radical increase in price between the Mexican Standards and the American Standards? Besides, a lot of that stuff (especially on Stratocasters) is easily replaced for less than an AM Standard, save for the wood grade (which IIRC isn't that significant of a difference anyway, except on the sunburst/natural/ash-wood models where the wood grain has to show) and number of frets. And this is just my opinion, but the micro-tilt always seemed sort of gimmicky and redundant to me.

The tuners and pickups, electronics, and pick guard are easy to replace, true. But a Fender 22-fret neck and 2 point trem not so much.

I agree with you about the grade of the wood. IIRC, you have (or had) a sunburst MIA SSS Standard Strat with a maple neck made between 2000 - 2007 or so; just about identical to mine. I haven't had to use the micro-tilt either. The MIM and Squier sunbursts back then looked like dogshit. They were like Elvis paintings on black velvet. And like I said, I prefer playing my Squier live (and recording with it too) over the MIA. But that's mainly because of the buckers and Fender S-1 switching I put in the Squier, plus the locking tuners. But the tone on that Squier still isn't as good as my mahogany Schecter with similar pups. The Schecter has an LFR with worn-out saddles, so it doesn't get much serious use these days.

But the bottom line is I don't regret for a second spending $500 more for my MIA over an MIM, and even my MIC Squier that I bought later as a travel guitar had better craftsmanship than the MIMs of its day.

What I do regret was getting a Marshall MG to go with the MIA But that's off topic.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
getmad24_7

Paramore did for their first album iirc. All guitars and basses mim. Could be wrong.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
SaintsofNowhere
Mostly landscapes

I for one love my MIA Std Strat.

-_‽GOOZE.‽_-
SaintsofNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

I have a Modern Player Tele that's MIC that's awesome

I think I count as famous.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Horsedick.MPEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
WhiskeyFace
:^)

Dunno about about strats but Nick Valensi from The Strokes uses an Epiphone
WhiskeyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #16
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedick.MPEG
I have a Modern Player Tele that's MIC that's awesome

I think I count as famous.

Your tele is the best. Did they do a belly cut on those?
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #17
MinterMan22
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyFace
Dunno about about strats but Nick Valensi from The Strokes uses an Epiphone

Don't the dudes from The Libertines use Epiphone guitars too or am I imagining things?

Fuck Dallas
Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
Your tele is the best. Did they do a belly cut on those?

Yup:

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:

Quote:
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #19
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

I want to get rid of my Schecter PT mainly because I cannot adapt to the lack of a belly cut on a guitar
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
I want to get rid of my Schecter PT mainly because I cannot adapt to the lack of a belly cut on a guitar

I went from a Les Paul to the Tele, but I'm still okay with the fat neck and body of the LP.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote:

Quote:

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm

Rate This Thread: