Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
SarwTheGreat

Anyone know of ways to create Digital Drum tracks?

Hey guys! I've been wondering, and I hope I haven't asked this before, but I was wondering if any of you guys know of any programs that I can use to set up drum tracks. I've been trying to write some things lately, and I feel if I could create a drum track behind it, It would be easier to make complete things other than just random bits and pieces of riffs and such. I have Guitar Pro 6, but I don't know anything about drums so using that to make them is a little over my head. I have no clue of any other examples of what exists out there for something like this. Any suggestions?
SarwTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
derek8520

Pretty much any DAW.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

All you would need is something like Superior Drummer 2.0, EZDrummer or Addictive Drums (theres probably more but those are the ones I know).

You can write the drums in GP6, export the MIDI file and import it into one of those programs and it will play the track you wrote with the drum sounds of your choice which are high quality and all sampled from real drums. Sometimes, not all the notes will match up for example, if the bass note on GP6 is 38 (rings a bell), it might be different in those programs but they are easily corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
SarwTheGreat

Hmmm, I'll have to look those up, thanks Derek and Leony, I'll have to do some more research how to write drum stuff in GP
SarwTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
leony03
UG's Lord of Timey Wimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarwTheGreat
Hmmm, I'll have to look those up, thanks Derek and Leony, I'll have to do some more research how to write drum stuff in GP

Oh, one thing I forgot to add. You will need a recording software that can run VST plugins (as thats what these ones are). I use Reaper which has a trial version you can use (although mine hasnt run out and lets me use it still haha).

Good luck If you want anymore info or need some help, PM me

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
leony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

There is a web-page where you can convert midi files to mp3, and you choose the sound of drums and stuff, search for it.
Then just make drums in guitar pro, and then export them into midi and convert it in the sound you want.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
gypsyblues7373

Just get EZDrummer and download the free Reaper DAW (it doesn't expire after the "trial", so you can actually keep using it). EZDrummer is idiot simple and the drums sound great. It has whole libraries of beats, fills, intros, breaks, etc., so you can string together a full drum track in about 10 minutes. You could still write the drum tracks in GP6 if you wanted to, but it's not necessary. If you want to tweak the stock EZD tracks just edit them in the MIDI in Reaper, it's very simple.
gypsyblues7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
robo37

D-lusion. Free and easy. Only problem is that like most drum machines it doesn't like unusual time signatures.
robo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #9
MrDo0m
Blessed Sisyphus

I've been using the FPC plug-in that comes with the FL Studio demo to program drums, but it's not the greatest sounding and mapping out triplets is a hassle for me. Being able to just export GP drum beats to an mp3 format with higher quality drum sounds would be ideal so I'm grateful for the advice in this thread. EZDrummer is like $80-100 though.

If you don't mind my asking, seeing as how D-Lusion is free and all, can you use it as a plug-in for Reaper, and can you export GP files to it? Also, how does it sound? Good and realistic? Or a little more on the "synthetic" side?

Last edited by MrDo0m : 12-12-2012 at 07:33 PM.
MrDo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
gypsyblues7373

Yes, you'll have to pay for EZDrummer, but bands have actually used it to record albums with. That's how good it sounds. I guess it's up to the OP how much realism he wants/needs.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
There's addictive drums, ezdrummer, Steven slate drums &, superior drummer. I think a couple of them have fairly inexpensive lite versions.
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
gypsyblues7373

EZDrummer and Superior Drummer are both made by the same company, Superior Drummer is just the more complex, "pro" version of basically the same program. I believe they're both compatible with each other, but don't quote me on that.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #13
mattrusso

You could use a sequencer/synth like Reason.
mattrusso is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: