Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
BassGuitarFish

One noob question

So i recently started a band, and me and my friends were disscusing what songs could we play, and my guitarist said that he could only play songs in standard tuning because of his bridge, is that possible or is he full of shit. Because i really want to play songs that are not in standard. He has kirk hammett ltd (i think), and im really tired of him playing Battery main riff all the time
BassGuitarFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
halfj06

If he has a floyd style trem then yeah.. pretty much. Its kinda a big deal to change tuning
halfj06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #3
thebestjoe

It is possible, but he's also full of shit. Like above, it's a Floyd Rose trem. The strings are locked at the bridge and nut, and with the springs in the back, they hold the bridge level, and if you change one sting's tuning, it has everything else go out.

If you were to only want to go down to dropped D, it won't be a big hassle (IMO), as long as it wouldn't be every other song. Anything lower than that, and it's a big deal.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
BassGuitarFish

I was thinking about playing in C#, because you cant play most metal higher than D
Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Pitwulf

pretty much all of metallica and thrash in general is in standard
Pitwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassGuitarFish
I was thinking about playing in C#, because you cant play most metal higher than D

Wut?

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

If he has a floating trem, it's not that he can only play in standard but that he can only play in one tuning. So you guys can decide to tune down to C# but it's a big hassle to retune again.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:

Most Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, some Slayer, some Mastadon, Venom, etc... are in standard. Even some black and death metal are standard.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
RiffsanBridges
UG's mentally challenged

Quote:

You need more iron-rich cereals. Metal can be played in E standard as well, in fact most NWOBHM and more classic Heavy Metal songs are played in E standard.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
PSimonR
PSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
Most Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, some Slayer, some Mastadon, Venom, etc... are in standard. Even some black and death metal are standard.

Yeah, most of the old stuff is in standard. Bands really didn't do drop tuning in early metal and NWOBHM days.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Wild_Impala
Registered Loser

You have to play in this tuning otherwise your music wont be classed as metal it will be classed as lounge jazz, no need to thank me for my truth nugget, now run along little one.
Wild_Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:

Yes you can.
Quote:
So i recently started a band, and me and my friends were disscusing what songs could we play, and my guitarist said that he could only play songs in standard tuning because of his bridge, is that possible or is he full of shit. Because i really want to play songs that are not in standard. He has kirk hammett ltd (i think), and im really tired of him playing Battery main riff all the time

The LTD KH guitars have Floyds, so he has a point. They take a lot of setting up to re-tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjoe
If you were to only want to go down to dropped D, it won't be a big hassle (IMO), as long as it wouldn't be every other song. Anything lower than that, and it's a big deal.

No. Even slight changes in the tuning of 1 string will throw the rest of the guitar out of tune.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-08-2012 at 07:38 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
No. Even slight changes in the tuning of 1 string will throw the rest of the guitar out of tune.

That's why D-Tunas are AWESOME...

Anyone know if you can put one on every string so you can droptune the whole guitar? Yes it seems impractical but may be awesome.

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
thebestjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE

What I meant was that only dropping one string down would only be a slight adjustment to have everything back at equilibrium.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
That's why D-Tunas are AWESOME...

Anyone know if you can put one on every string so you can droptune the whole guitar? Yes it seems impractical but may be awesome.

I had this idea years ago when i first heard of D-Tuna's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjoe
What I meant was that only dropping one string down would only be a slight adjustment to have everything back at equilibrium.

It's still a faff.

It's much easier to simply block the trem.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
JokerGrin
Banned

BassGuitarFish, the people in this thread are quite right when they say plenty of metal is in standard. It depends on your style. They're also right when they say changing tunings/strings on a Floyd Rose-style bridge is a pain in the arse, because it is.

Does he do much bullshitting on the whammy bar? If not, get him to block the tremolo.

If he refuses, I guess the only other solutions are to get your guitarist to buy a cheap fixed bridge guitar for drop tunings or for the band to focus on standard-tuning songs.
JokerGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
KoLdDoOm

Reason #54325432 why it isn't always necessary to be in an ultra br00tal low tuning to be really, really heavy:

But, like everyone says, it is a bit of a faff to change tuning on a guitar with a Floyd/Edge/ZR/equivalent...

That said, if you stick to C# for all your songs, he could just set his guitar up for that and keep it like that? As someone who played in a band that played all their songs in Drop C, I kinda liked coming home to practice to some of my favourite songs, but since I was in Drop C instead of E/Drop D, either lowering the pitch in Audacity or learning to play it in my new tuning, either way it was a fresh way to play along to songs I'd done to death!
KoLdDoOm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
BassGuitarFish

I realised that i said it wrong about metal tuning, i know most heavy and older thrash is in standard, i meant for extreme subgenres are mostly D or lower, like Down, Terrorizer, Obituary, Dethklok, Dying Fetus etc. And even if i want to play RATM its in drop D. He agreed actually to buy some cheap ass guitar for low tuned songs

Rate This Thread: