Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

I get hiccups sometimes when I scream, why ?

Whatsup.
I have this little thing and I don`t know why.
I get hiccups or what the hell it is when I scream but when I sing regularly I don`t.

Sometimes at rehearsal I usually take the part as the backing vocalist and I scream but after a while I taste blood in my mouth but I don`t spit blood or anything.
That`s just bad technique right?

I don`t try to growl or anything, just scream just like in this:
2:00
2:20

Any advice on what to do and how should I evolve this technique without hurting myself?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Petzakecske

I don't know anything about screaming, but tasting blood in your mouth sure doesn't sound normal to me.
Petzakecske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
myc5263

I would suggest temporarily hiring yourself a vocal instructor, who knows this technique, to properly teach you this technique. Don't hurt yourself. You might developed vocal nodules and that is not good. Look up vocal nodules.

Good Luck and Do Well,
-Mike
myc5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

My advice would be... Practice and drink water. I get hiccups when I've let myself dehydrate too much and I do little backing vocals.

Oh, if you mean that just something distracts you in your throat other than the real hiccups, then just practice and seek for some guidance, like said above. But hydration is always good and very recommended.

Last edited by Sakke : 12-12-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

Thanks for the advice, I`ll go talk to my buddy who growl. I don`t know if he could help me but I`ll ask him.
The blood thing is weird, and it also seems that I easily get a sore throat like if I have a cold after sessions.

The type of hiccup I am talking about is like if I am screaming and then the scream just ends and turns into that feeling like you have when you are about to hiccup.
I realized that I hardly drink when I sing, that could be an issue.
Thanks for the tip

Otherwise when I scream like when I am calling for someone or when I rage or whatever it doesn`t happen
Old 12-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
merriman44

Whoa, whoa man. You said nothing about this in the growling thread. That is NOT normal. It sounds like you are royally damaging your chords.

You know that the fool from linkin park had to have surgery on his throat from doing that crap right? He also used to puke on stage from it. Just...Don't.

You are pushing too hard with your throat and most likely causing micro tears. That's why the sound stops (your cords are swelling). That's why you taste blood. That's why it almost certainly sounds like ass.

Instead, if you wish to scream, do it from your diaphragmatic flow. Suck in a bunch of belly air and use that to support the scream. Whether you are yelling, screaming, or doing the most extreme death gutturrals you still need to support it.

The guy from breaking benjamins uses a airy fry scream. Look up fry screaming. It takes some work but you won't kill your voice doing it.

Last edited by merriman44 : 12-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Whoa, whoa man. You said nothing about this in the growling thread. That is NOT normal. It sounds like you are royally damaging your chords.

You know that the fool from linkin park had to have surgery on his throat from doing that crap right? He also used to puke on stage from it. Just...Don't.

You are pushing too hard with your throat and most likely causing micro tears. That's why the sound stops (your cords are swelling). That's why you taste blood. That's why it almost certainly sounds like ass.

Instead, if you wish to scream, do it from your diaphragmatic flow. Suck in a bunch of belly air and use that to support the scream. Whether you are yelling, screaming, or doing the most extreme death gutturrals you still need to support it.

The guy from breaking benjamins uses a airy fry scream. Look up fry screaming. It takes some work but you won't kill your voice doing it.

Oh...
You`re right, that just might be it because when I scream I tense my throat and after screaming I might have a hard time controlling my voice.
I am mostly using my throat I realized but it doesn`t sound bad really.
So all type of screaming should come from the belly? And is the guy from Linkin Park using the fry screaming technique too?

Seriously thank you!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

It's not whether it sounds good or bad, it's that you could be causing great harm to yourself by screaming the way you do.
Matt Chavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chavie
It's not whether it sounds good or bad, it's that you could be causing great harm to yourself by screaming the way you do.

Yes, I understood that and it is true. I am using a really bad technique and I feel like I am doing myself harm.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
merriman44

Fellow from Linkin Park didn't use technique. Which is one of the reasons he did so much damage to himself. You'll be fine now that you know that you need to fix it and have the tools to move forward. If you need anything else, hit us up in the growling thread brudda.

Best of luck!
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Lyrax
I need a weapon.

Thanks dude, I certainly will!

Rate This Thread: