Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
RainAanz
Cold atmosphere

Question Beginner fingerstyle

I've been the owner of an acoustic steel stringed Farida D-8 for about 8 months now, and recently picked it up again. Nylon strings are ideal over steel stringed but I wont be getting a nylon stringed guitar till early next year. I know the very basics of guitar, a handful of chords, reading tab and chord progression. I have about two hours a night on weekdays in which I play while I have a good 4 on weekends.

I really enjoy fingerstyle though I don't exactly know how to improve. Would any body recommend any websites that can help me get the basics down as well as any decently priced guitars and essential equipment that are good for the fingerstyle novice?

Much appreciated!

Last edited by RainAanz : 12-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.
RainAanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
HotSummerNights

youtube 'classical guitar arpeggios'. That's how I learned. thers some real easy stuff to learn all the way to super hard.

it takes about a week or two to get used to it, mostly cause your fingers aren't used to that fine motor skills, but you will eventually. just learn some basic easy ones and changed them up, like mix up the order you pluck the strings and you'll get used to it
HotSummerNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
Bikewer

Arpeggios and scalar runs handled properly are indeed a good essential exercise.

But "fingerstyle" is a big tent.... Are you looking to actually play classical guitar? Fingerstyle jazz? Blues/folk stylings....Contemporary acoustic music? Lots of stuff, and lots of different techniques for each.
Lots and lots of fine acoustic fingerstyle music is played on steel-string guitars.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
RainAanz
Cold atmosphere

Arpeggios and scalar runs it is! Thanks for the advice guys it actually gives me somewhere to start.

Bikewer I really did mean fingerstyle in the broad sense as I'm not headed in any particular direction just yet. I guess I'd like to try a bit of everything. Blues, jazz and contemporary sound great though. Yes I was hoping to actually play classical guitar for a few years and then maybe pick up an electric guitar somewhere on the way.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
RainAanz
Cold atmosphere

So I've gotten the gist of arpeggios down, the patterns I mean. Are scalars just different scales?
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Bikewer

Arpeggios are normally the notes in chords. Scales are of course the building blocks; chords are extracted from scales, and of course melodies are built from them as well.
The purpose of learning scales is to establish finger independence, learn the actual notes and tones involved, and all that....
However, avoid falling into the trap of thinking of scales and arpeggios as "music". You often hear musicians playing what sounds suspiciously like book exercises instead of things that sound "musical".
An elusive difference sometimes, but important.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Davy78

I started out with the electrical guitar, and eventually ended up playing -only- fingerstyle on nylon guitars. I remember that it took an unreasonable amount of time to get that first song down (dust in the wind), but it gets so much easier after you get used to it ... I might be kicking down open doors, but to improve you just need to keep at it ... If you already have some easy songs under the belt, just start on something like "classical gas" and you will have learned alot once you're done

If you like reading books, there is a book called "pumping nylon" that has some good practice routines (also available in "tab" version if you cant read music bars).
Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
RainAanz
Cold atmosphere

Again thanks a lot for the advice guys, you guys are fuelling my learning and speeding it up, so kudos to you! And Davy78 how ironic, Dust in the Wind is the song I'm learning at the moment Also, I think I will buy the book you've recommended

Rate This Thread: